1. Copying kits is a crime that hurts original artists & producers. Help support your favorite artists by buying their original works. PlanetFigure will not tolerate any activities related to recasting, and will report recasters to authorities. Thank you for your support!

WIP Critique 1/6 Female Predator

Discussion in 'vBench (Works in Progress)' started by FigureLover, Nov 3, 2013.

1. FigureLover A Fixture

Australia
    Thanks for that Guys, glad you are liking what I have done so far. As to the sculpt, yep, its one of the best I have ever seen (definately purchased), the textures are adding to the pleasure of painting this piece. After going through a bit of a low in my painting production, this one has really given me the boost I needed (if only I didnt have to go to work, I could spend more time in the hobby room!!!!!)
    Ben
    Meehan34 and ChaosCossack like this.
  2. T-34/85 PlanetFigure Supporter

United-States
    This is some of the best sci-fi painting I have seen. Well done sir. Can't wait to see this finished.
    Tom
    FigureLover likes this.
  3. tonydawe A Fixture

Australia
    Tom,

I had the pleasure of seeing Ben's Female Predator in the flesh on Tuesday night and it is truly stunning.

The sculpting is amazing and Ben has already done a great job bringing the her to life with his brushes. I have no doubt the finished product will be a sight that will both terrify and amaze people.
    T-34/85 likes this.
  4. FigureLover A Fixture

Australia
    Hi Guys, I appreciate your comments.
    Tom, Thank you for your very kind words, I have always wanted to do a Predator to the best of my ability, so I am trying to go all out and make this one a standout, but not going to rush it though. Updates in a week or so.
    Cheers Tony, it was great to have your discerning eye cast over it. Not to mention getting some pointers when watching you paint your Roman. Gave me some ideas
    Ben
    tonydawe likes this.
  5. FigureLover A Fixture

Australia
    Hello again,
    Been a while since the last post, but I have been working slowly on this one. I have been working from the top to bottom, and have reached the greaves so far, even though I have to do more shadows and highlights as of yet. I have added the brown shading on the flesh areas and blending this in. The armours shine has been deepened (toned down) and needs some fine detail work, plus a shadow here and there. I have also been doing the leather gloves and strappings around her body, even though these need work still.
    I am almost at the point where I cant do anymore until I put her on a base as its hard to hold and paint without rubbing the paint off 10.jpg 11.jpg 12.jpg 13.jpg
    ChaosCossack, marco55, NickM and 4 others like this.
  6. MalcC A Fixture

England
    Cool(y)
    FigureLover likes this.
  7. T-34/85 PlanetFigure Supporter

United-States
    Fantastic!(y):)
    FigureLover likes this.
  8. loosehead Active Member

Australia
    Fantastic Work Bro.............
    Best part she will never finish you think she is done then look and go i will do one more wash
    a little more highlight (you know how it is )
    When I saw it at WASMEX I thought Im looking at next years Best of Show and I am convinced now
    Keep pushing the paint
    Chris
    FigureLover likes this.
  9. housecarl Moderator

United-Kingdom
    That's a bit impressive.
    Carl.(y)
    FigureLover likes this.
  10. Ron Tamburrini A Fixture

United-Kingdom
    Sure is but does she dae a turn
    FigureLover likes this.
  11. tonydawe A Fixture

Australia
    That's one big sexy beast...of a kit Ben. Looking good mate.
    FigureLover likes this.
  12. FigureLover A Fixture

Australia
    Hi guy's,
    glad you like the progress so far, have started on the dead alien that's part of the base and will post pics soon. Tony, I agree with you on both accounts!!!!!
    Ta
    Ben
  13. FigureLover A Fixture

Australia
    I know what you mean Chris, you just keep adding paint and still find more room to add more. Ta for looking
    Ben
  14. Jazz A Fixture

England
    It's all been said already but here it comes again. What an awesome figure!! Fantastic sculpting and excellent detailing. Can't wait to see the paintwork on this one.
    FigureLover likes this.
  15. NickM Well-Known Member

Australia
    Awesome painting, Ben. I love all the details you've brought out on the figure, mate.
    Looking forward to seeing it on that base.
    FigureLover likes this.
  16. FigureLover A Fixture

Australia
    Cheers for that Jazz and Nick, Glad you like it so far.
    Well its been a while since the last post as work has got in the way, Bloody Xmas!!!!!! I haven't even been in the hobby room for nearly three weeks, so I will post what I have done up till now. Nothing has been done on the Predator, but I have started on the dead Alien. These pics show it assembled and puttied in any spots that needed it (almost none really), before priming 13.JPG 14.JPG 15.JPG
  17. FigureLover A Fixture

Australia
    In these pics I have spray puttied the dome on the top of the head. The reason for this is that I want a super smooth surface as I want to do a see-through effect on it at a later stage. I have done two separate coats, with wet sanding in between, to get the smoothness that I was after 16.JPG 17.JPG
    ChaosCossack likes this.
  18. FigureLover A Fixture

Australia
    And the final pics for now are of it primed, ready for base coating. I hopefully have some time this weekend to get more done on it. See what happens!!!!
    Ben 18.JPG 19.JPG
    ChaosCossack and NickM like this.
  19. legend69 Well-Known Member

Greece
    Absolutely WICKED, can't wait to see the finished thing! Anthony
    FigureLover likes this.
  20. FigureLover A Fixture

Australia
    Thanks Anthony for your comments.
    Now that Xmas is here and I have a bit of time, I have got stuck into this project big time!!!!! Spent a few hours putting down a mottled base coat using almost every Jo Sonya earthy colour and mix I had. I mainly did washes and sponging to get the basing, not following any particular pattern, this was to break up the surface textures and give a bit of "colour" to the dark tones of the Alien. Then on some of the flat areas that have minimal texture, such as the arms and breathing tubes, I have added a darker patterning in a almost striped pattern. This will come apparent later.
    Next I used a light grey oil mix and a fine brush to outline the darker patterns to give it some depth. I also used this oil mix to highlight some of the details surrounding the "bust" using fine dots and stripes to give the effect of muscular detail and depth. In these photos, I have not finished doing all the patterns as of yet, and I am after a high contrast at this stage, as I will be overcoating all this with transparent colours. 20.JPG 21.JPG 22.JPG 23.JPG
    ChaosCossack, tonydawe and Babelfish like this.