1. Copying kits is a crime that hurts original artists & producers. Help support your favorite artists by buying their original works. PlanetFigure will not tolerate any activities related to recasting, and will report recasters to authorities. Thank you for your support!

WIP Critique 1/6 Admiral Canaris and Kasper

Discussion in 'vBench (Works in Progress)' started by ACCOUNT_DELETED, May 30, 2013.

1. ACCOUNT_DELETED A Fixture

Canada
    Started laying in diluted base flesh ( 50:50 Vallejo Sunny fleshtone & Brown Rose); added some more liquitex burnt sienna and raw umber inks to pick out the shadows and wrinkles; added some washes of diluted Golden Quinacrodone Burnt Orange to start shadows (under jaw, cheek hollows, around nose, ears etc). About an hour's work so far.

P1010052exc.jpg P1010053exc.jpg P1010054exc.jpg

Colin
    Jamie Stokes, NickM, Mark S and 3 others like this.
  2. tiberius57 A Fixture

Canada
    Nice progress and build up!
    Cheers,
    Zeno
    crf likes this.
  3. Mark S Guest

Colin this is well on the way to being a very impressive project, and a very satisfying one I dare say. Well done so far.
    crf likes this.
  4. ACCOUNT_DELETED A Fixture

Canada
    Some work this morning - more base flesh tone feathered/hatched in with a WN Series 7 'OO' and one lighter transition feathered/hatched over it. Wrinkles and shadows are still very harsh. I undercoated his grey hair with a mouse brown wash.

P1010059exc.jpg P1010060exc.jpg P1010061exc.jpg P1010062exc.jpg

Colin
    Martin64, NickM and ChaosCossack like this.
  5. ACCOUNT_DELETED A Fixture

Canada
    Some more progress today with flesh and inks. Still need to do his grey hair and lighten his skin tones a bit.

P1010015.JPG P1010017.JPG
    P1010014.JPG P1010016.JPG

Colin
    Martin64, ChaosCossack and NickM like this.
  6. NickM Well-Known Member

Australia
    He's really coming to life now, Colin. Very impressive, mate.
    You're lucky being able to sculpt the subjects that interest you - wish I had that skill!
    Cheers
    crf likes this.
  7. ChaosCossack A Fixture

Canada
    Wow you are flying through this guy. Skintone is really coming together and bringing the likeness out nicely.
    Interested in how you'll deal with the pooch

Colin of the East

BTW, how are you feeling? Starting to come around some?
    CJ
    crf likes this.
  8. ACCOUNT_DELETED A Fixture

Canada
    Lighter flesh tones, more work on his grey hair and some scoping work on Kasper. Still more to do but I am pleasantly surprised that he looks somewhat non-muppetish. The fingers will look better painted - promise! :nailbiting:

Image1.jpg

P1010022 - Copy.JPG P1010026 - Copy.JPG P1010033.JPG
    P1010031 - Copy.JPG P1010034 - Copy.JPG

Colin
    ChaosCossack, Jamie Stokes and NickM like this.
  9. Jamie Stokes Well-Known Member

Australia
    The bust is very well done, and I feel that you have got the dog spot on!!

Yep, came to life under the paintbrush!

Definitely heading in the right direction!
    Cheers
    crf likes this.
  10. ChaosCossack A Fixture

Canada
    I like what you've done with the pooch... I won't say I'm not disappointed that he DOESN'T look like Fozzy. Maybe give him a turned up porkpie hat a la Bowery Boys ;)

Look forward to seeing some of the uniform colours blocked in to give the final impression of the flesh tone... Gives the face some context.

Again, I must say how impressed I am watching this project develope from basic head form through sculpting of the likeness and detail to the stages of the painting process... great seeing this unfold.

Colin
    crf likes this.
  11. ACCOUNT_DELETED A Fixture

Canada
    Undercoated his uniform 50:50 Vallejo dk Prussian Blue and Black. Some work on his shirt and hand.

P1010042a.JPG P1010055a.JPG
    P1010046b.jpg P1010040b.JPG

Colin
    Martin64, NickM, tiberius57 and 2 others like this.
  12. Richie A Fixture

United-Kingdom
    Hi Colin,
    Very nice work, this is progressing at a rate of knots, love what you have done with this. Your skill with the putty and the paint is very inspirational.
    cheers
    Richie
    crf likes this.
  13. Wings5797 A Fixture

France
    Great work Colin,
    the sculpt is remarkable and the flesh tones are coming along really well.
    Well done sir.
    Cheers,
    Keith
    crf likes this.
  14. Wings5797 A Fixture

France
    OOPS.
    crf likes this.
  15. Wings5797 A Fixture

France
    Dang, multi post II (the sequel).
    crf likes this.
  16. ACCOUNT_DELETED A Fixture

Canada
    Some more progress - shading the blue, some more on his hair, awards started....etc. Also sculpted anchors onto his blank buttons and undercoated them in old gold/brass. Added pips to his epaulettes. Shirt still needs work.

P1010063a.jpg P1010068a.jpg
    P1010069a.jpg P1010070a.jpg

Colin
    pmfs, tiberius57, billyturnip and 4 others like this.
  17. Wings5797 A Fixture

France
    Hi Colin,
    Having watched this from the start I am very impressed with your work here.
    You have really captured the pose and flesh tones of a chap of a certain age....even the dog looks chuffed. or may be Cruffs;)?
    You just get better and better Mate, great work here I really like this piece.
    All the best,
    Keith
    crf likes this.
  18. Tarracus A Fixture

Impressive! I agree with all Colin said
    crf likes this.
  19. ChaosCossack A Fixture

Canada
    Everything is really starting to come together now. The colours of the clothing and hair have formed depth into the skintone and made it come off even more natura. What colour is the tunic supposed to b3? A dark navy blue or a more medium almost greyish blue? Could be the lighting but Im not sure what the base colour of that garment is supposed to be.

Looking awesome. Carry on, MacDuff!

Colin
    crf likes this.
  20. ACCOUNT_DELETED A Fixture

Canada
    Thanks gents

Colin, the colour is a very dark navy. Colours used are 50/50 black and dark navy blue. Highlighting is with an addition of some Vallejo Game Colour Elf Skintone. The lighting has washed it out to a dark blue/grey as you noted but it still looks very dark in real life.

Cheers

Colin