1. Copying kits is a crime that hurts original artists & producers. Help support your favorite artists by buying their original works. PlanetFigure will not tolerate any activities related to recasting, and will report recasters to authorities. Thank you for your support!

Completed Critique 1/5 Gaspard Gourgaud

Discussion in 'vBench (Works in Progress)' started by ACCOUNT_DELETED, Jul 29, 2014.

1. ACCOUNT_DELETED A Fixture

Canada
    Here is my completed 1/5 bust of Chef d'Escadron Gaspard Gourgaud, Napoleon's premiere Officier d'Ordonnance. These officers were senior aides who dressed in dashing cornflower blue, red and silver uniforms. Gourgaud was a proud man who accompanied Napoleon on his second and final exile to St. Helena.

P1010481sml.jpg

The model is sculpey firm and twine for the aiguilettes and undercoat lacing. Painted in acrylics and inks (face) and oils (rest).

Colin

P1010453.JPG P1010456.JPG P1010457.JPG P1010460.JPG P1010475.JPG P1010451.JPG P1010459.JPG P1010463.JPG P1010466.JPG
  2. Nap Moderator

England
    One word Colin....STUNNING

Love this piece from the lace to the face brilliant

Thanks for sharing..you should be very happy with the result

Nap
    crf likes this.
  3. housecarl Moderator

United-Kingdom
    I agree with Kev, stunning.(y)
    crf likes this.
  4. tomifune A Fixture

United-States
    Amazing beautiful job!!

Bob
    crf likes this.
  5. pmfs A Fixture

Portugal
    Hi Colin!

You not ceased to surprise me. Another brilliant piece of paint and sculp.
    Keep the good work!

Cheers,
    Pedro.
    crf likes this.
  6. kilsh Well-Known Member

United-Kingdom
    Colin

A masterpiece! Congratulations on a great piece.

Cheers

Neil
    crf likes this.
  7. maco61 A Fixture

Italy
    Fantastic paintwork.
    Congratulations.
    Ciao by Maco
    crf likes this.
  8. Gary D PlanetFigure Supporter

Canada
    Colin this is fantastic! Can you share how you did the braid and coat colours?
    Thanks!
    Gary
    crf likes this.
  9. Mike Stevens PlanetFigure Supporter

United-States
    Another well done figure! Great looking face.
    crf likes this.
  10. Paul Kernan A Fixture

Canada
    Yeah, baby(y)(y)(y)

He sure is an arrogant looking B@#%$&d! The blues and lacing are outstanding.
    crf and tiberius57 like this.
  11. tiberius57 A Fixture

Canada
    This is magic, my friend!
    The backdrop is awesome. What is it?
    I don't know how you do it, but what comes out from your hands is amazing work!
    Cheers mate,
    Zeno
    crf likes this.
  12. MarquisMini A Fixture

Argentina
    wow Colin!!, you really nailed it with this one.
    Best regards
    crf likes this.
  13. ACCOUNT_DELETED A Fixture

Canada
    Thanks to all who commented above for all the generous comments. Much appreciated.

Gary - the blue is a roughly equal mix of French ultramarine and viridian with a wee bit of cerulean mixed in. Shadows were base uniform darkened with some sepia. Highlights were base uniform plus titanium white. The lace started as a base of dark uniform with the sepia, then equal parts burnt umber and titanium white. Highlighted by mixing in more and more white and high highlighted pure white. The lace was done wet on wet so the colours and shades merged.

Zeno - the backdrop for the photos is just an old black cardboard gift box turned on end and the lighting is a single Halogen desk lamp. My camera is an obsolete olympus c4040 point and shoot with a very bright f 1.8 lens and great macro. I love it.

Thanks

Colin
  14. Chris Mortimer Active Member

New_Zealand
    My favorite of your's yet. Stunning does not even come close!
    crf likes this.
  15. DEL A Fixture

Scotland
    Quarter to two in the morning in Raintown, just back from the Commonwealth Games at Hampden Park (via pub) so just catching up.
    WOW ..... If you've got to sculpt and paint personality Napoleonics this is THE way to do it, a masterpiece Colin. Must be the Scottish genes kicking in.
    Bravo
    Cheers bg.gif
    Derek
    crf likes this.
  16. ChaosCossack A Fixture

Canada
    Meh, it's okay, I guess, if you're into that sort of thing. You know, well sculpted and beautifully painted miniatures... that old chestnut. ;)

Another winner, brother. At this rate, you must be forcing the wife's knick knacks out of the display cabinet. Good on ya!

Dare I ask what's next?

Colin
    crf likes this.
  17. ACCOUNT_DELETED A Fixture

Canada
    Thanks Del, Chris and Colin bro. Much appreciated. Maybe my next effort should be Marechal MacDonald! :) Actually he is on my list.

Cheers

Colin
    DEL likes this.
  18. ChaosCossack A Fixture

Canada
    I just finished a book about the war of 1812, how about a character with some local history... Sir Isaac Brock. Looked at some portraits, he had a very distinct face and lovely uniform.

Just a thought

Colin
    crf likes this.
  19. ACCOUNT_DELETED A Fixture

Canada
    By coincidence I just saw a photo of his General's tunic with the musket ball hole in the chest....per Facebook via the Canadian War Museum.

Colin
  20. Jeff T A Fixture

Australia
    Brilliant work Colin!

That is just superb, from sculpt to paint, top shelf stuff there.

Cheer's,
    Jeff.
    crf likes this.