1. Copying kits is a crime that hurts original artists & producers. Help support your favorite artists by buying their original works. PlanetFigure will not tolerate any activities related to recasting, and will report recasters to authorities. Thank you for your support!

Completed Critique 1/5 bust Gl. de Bgd. Fournier 1810

Discussion in 'vBench (Works in Progress)' started by ACCOUNT_DELETED, Jul 16, 2014.

1. ACCOUNT_DELETED A Fixture

Canada
    Here is my substantially finished scratch bust of Francois Fournier, known as the "Terror of the Grande Armee" for his contemptuous behaviour towards Napoleon and other authority figures and his constant duelling. Fournier was the inspiration for Joseph Conrad's character Gabriel Feraud in the short story "The Duel." Ridley Scott made this story into his first feature film in 1977, winning an award at Cannes for best debut picture. "The Duellists" is my favourite film and was an inspiration for this piece. I also love the uniform.

The figure was sculpted to give a bit of a contemptuous expression. I tried to assist that look in paint as well. The model is entirely done in sculpey firm and braided twine. It was painted in acrylics and inks.The piece is 95% done, needing only some small touch ups. After photographing it, I decided that the pelisse fur needs more work. I will post a few more shots when he is 100% and based.

Colin

P1010071sml.jpg

P1010113.JPG P1010109.JPG P1010083.JPG
    P1010078.JPG P1010075.JPG P1010066.JPG
    P1010059.JPG P1010052.JPG P1010045.JPG
    P1010043sml.jpg P1010042.JPG
  2. Gra30 PlanetFigure Supporter

Beautifully done Colin, from sculpt to paint :)
    I have been following this throughout.
    Congratulations and best wishes
    crf likes this.
  3. YDGIN A Fixture

Russian-Federation
    Perfectly done work, bust gorgeous!
    crf likes this.
  4. pmfs A Fixture

Portugal
    Hi Colin!

'The Duel' or ' The Duellists' is one of my best movies to...
    Colin, splendid work, you are a very talent modeller and I would love to see or works going to comercial...

Cheers
    crf likes this.
  5. Captain Lol A Fixture

Belgium
    Great paint ! (y)
    crf likes this.
  6. garyjd Well-Known Member

United-States
    Beautiful job Colin.
    crf likes this.
  7. Tarracus A Fixture

Beatiful work both sculpting and painting, one cannot fail to be impressed by this piece even he's not into napoleonics.
    crf likes this.
  8. bistray Well-Known Member

England
    Fabulous job Colin
    crf likes this.
  9. Chris Mortimer Active Member

New_Zealand
    Mate, my jaw is on the floor! I couldnt even tell you how long I've sat and stared at the pics but it's fair to say Im suffering from significant 'missing time'. My hat is off to you sir. Mind blown.
    crf likes this.
  10. Nap Moderator

England
    Colin,

"Clunk"......the sound of my jaw also dropping ......a great result th laceork is stunning , agree about the pelise fur .....

Love the way he looks down slightly almost with contempt

...a really enjoyable SBS and the end result amazing ...shame it's not in my collection!

Looking forward to the final pics

Thanks for sharing

Here's to the next

Nap
    crf likes this.
  11. ACCOUNT_DELETED A Fixture

Canada
    Thanks gents. I am pretty happy with the result and again I learned a lot. Someone I showed the pics to here said the initial larger one reminded her of an oil portrait so I will take that as a checkmark. Tomorrow doing some tidying on Fournier and back to Gourgaud. Lots of ideas in the pipeline too.

Colin
  12. ChaosCossack A Fixture

Canada
    clap clap clap clap clap clap clap clap clap clapclapclapclapclapclapclapclap bravo! bravo!
    That's my "slow clap building to cressendo"

Seriously, THIS is your best finished work to date. Beyond the awesome final product I am amazed at the speed at which you work.

What's next?

Colin
    RFL, napoleonpeart and crf like this.
  13. ACCOUNT_DELETED A Fixture

Canada
    Thanks brother Colin. Back to finish Gourgaud and then on to either Lannes or Wellington I think. No more hussar officers for a bit. :)

Colin
    ChaosCossack likes this.
  14. Nap Moderator

England
    Colin ,

Like the sound of Wellington ......and Lannes

Bring it on young man

Nap
    ChaosCossack likes this.
  15. Edward A Fixture

England
    Excellent work Colin!
  16. Alex Long A Fixture

England
    That really is some work to be proud of Colin. Very well done :)

Alex.
  17. swralph A Fixture

Outstanding work all round
  18. Jeff T A Fixture

Australia
    That is superb work Colin!.... Both sculpt and paint.

Excellent.

Cheer's,
    Jeff.
  19. Tonton Well-Known Member

United-Kingdom
    A truly great piece. Am looking forward to seeing “Old Nosey” if you opt for Wellington. I’ve no doubt you’ll capture his haughty expression.
  20. Aveleira A Fixture

Portugal
    Terrific work Colin!
    Congratulations!

Regards
    Pedro