1. Copying kits is a crime that hurts original artists & producers. Help support your favorite artists by buying their original works. PlanetFigure will not tolerate any activities related to recasting, and will report recasters to authorities. Thank you for your support!

1/4Hampshire Regt. Lewis Gunner

Discussion in 'vBench (Works in Progress)' started by billyturnip, Mar 7, 2007.

1. billyturnip A Fixture

England
    I've been home since sunday so no excuses here are the first pics of Dan's Lewis gunner casualty.

[IMG]

[IMG]

Early days yet but comments welcome.

Roger
  2. vergilius New Member

Belgium
    Very fine job !
  3. flart1943 Active Member

England
    Hi Roger
    Nice you are back on dry land. I must say you are doing a great paint job on Dan’s excellent models, Keep up the good work.
    Pete
  4. billyturnip A Fixture

England
    Hi Pete,
    Thanks mate, once these are finished I'll do some more to the Imperial German vignette. I'm sure you'd like to see what I did with that head you sent.

Roger.
  5. billyturnip A Fixture

England
    I've done some more to this chap and Dan will be back from working away this week so I hope he likes the progress so far and he doesn't think I've been sitting around doing nothing.
    Plenty of work to do yet but please feel free to comment.

Roger.

[IMG]

[IMG]

[IMG]

[IMG]

[IMG]
  6. Ulrich A Fixture

Germany
    Hi Roger

it looks great so far, but I have some problems to see the details, because the pics seems to be a little bit dark on my monitor.

Ulrich
  7. billyturnip A Fixture

England
    Hi Ulrich,
    They look ok on mine. We'll see what others think. Don't worry I'll be taking some more photo's soon.

Roger.
  8. Dan Morton A Fixture

United-States
    Great start!

Roger - Terrific job so far! Just back from a week in Long Beach, California working and saw this first thing when I dialed up PF. :)

I think your leather is looking especially realistic - perfect color choice! The shorts and shirt are also excellent! I'm really looking forward to seeing the next batch of photos as I know it will only get better and better. I think your color mixing, shading and shadowing are getting even more skillful.

I put the photos into Photoshop to see if lightening them would help and it does slightly. Suggest you run the next batch of photos thru Enhance - Brightness/Contrast and play around a bit.

All the best,
    Dan
  9. billyturnip A Fixture

England
    Glad you approve so far Dan. I'll play around with the next batch of pics. I cropped these ones and left them at that.
    They were taken indoors without the flash so that may have something to do with it.

Roger.
  10. billyturnip A Fixture

England
    Here are some photo's of the finished article, well I thought it was until closer inspection of the photo's. The first thing that caught my eye was did lewis guns have a metal butt plate? I suspect so but I will have to check it out.
    All comments welcome, I can take it :D

Roger

[IMG]

[IMG]

[IMG]

[IMG]

[IMG]

[IMG]
  11. Dan Morton A Fixture

United-States
    Roger - That looks great! These photos are much better! The Hampshire hat flash is perfect! How do you like the knife, fork and spoon stuck in the putties? :) Some requests or suggestions - feel free to ignore any or all.
    - Could you make the cheeks and forehead of his face and tops of his hands slightly more flushed-looking?
    - How about some deep sweat stains with calcium lines around the armpits?
    - The grey-back shirt, I believe, had a thin horizontal white panel at the bottom of the button up front vent.
    - The double tin canvas ammo carrier had the following stenciled-on block lettering -
    CARRIER MAGAZINE
    303 in LEWIS GUN
    and the two top fold fasteners are dull brass.
    - Can you break up the uniformity of the ground colors?

All the best,
    Dan
  12. billyturnip A Fixture

England
    No problem Dan.
    I intentionally painted quite light highlights because of the way he was facing upwards into the sunlight and also I thought someone who had just been shot would be very pale looking but it will not be a problem to alter it a touch.
    My fault for omitting the white panel on the shirt and I'll add some sweat stains.
    Consider the studs on the mag carrier and the groundwork done but the stencilling might be a bit of a tall order but I'll give it a go.

Roger
  13. billyturnip A Fixture

England
    Here's an updated photo of the figure.
    The stencilling has been added to the magazine carrier, white panal to the shirt, some sweat stains and the groundwork has been given some additional dry brushing and a dusting with weathering powder.

Roger

[IMG]
  14. Dan Morton A Fixture

United-States
    I think the sweat stains are particularly good, Roger and look right on the figure IMHO. Do you think you should break up the ground work colors a bit more? Some burn / scorch marks possibly? Just suggestions - don't feel obligated.

All the best,
    Dan
  15. billyturnip A Fixture

England
    Hello, your on this one aswell:D. Not really sure what else I can do to the groundwork. Do you think some of the grass you provided might break it up a bit?

Roger.