1. Copying kits is a crime that hurts original artists & producers. Help support your favorite artists by buying their original works. PlanetFigure will not tolerate any activities related to recasting, and will report recasters to authorities. Thank you for your support!

1/48 scale British Tommies

Discussion in 'Sculpting' started by Ray, May 26, 2009.

1. Ray Active Member

United-States
    These two figures are supposed to represent British soldiers of WW 2, they both wear variations of the 1939 pattern 'Battle Dress Uniform'. The seated figure is wearing the earlier pattern uniform where the buttons are hidden beneath a fabric 'fly', while the standing figure is wearing the later (1940-1945) pattern of the same uniform, but one the dispensed with the fabric fly covering the buttons.

While both figures are complete, the standing figure (or rather a copy of him) will have field kit added to him. If there is interest here I will certainly post pictures of the kitted out figure when complete.

Materials; A+B putty tan (which I regret just a little as it doesn't show well in photos against the resin parts), gray A+B putty (sometimes marketed as GEM), Magic-Sculp, and green stuff added to the MS.

Thanks for looking,

Ray

Attached Files:

2. Black Army Well-Known Member

Hungary
    Very nice figures Ray!

I work on the same category, field personal for the Royal Hungarian Air Force. Do you mould the figures with hands or separeted?

Congratulations!

Cheers,
    Balázs
  3. Ray Active Member

United-States
    Balázs,
    Thanks for the note. Yes, these will be cast with hands and arms attached. Rarely will I make a 1/48 scale figure with separate arms because the customers prefer single piece figures. You have to remember that these are for Model Railway guys who really don't have the same idea as we do that figures are in themselves the model. For train guys figures are much like any other accessory or detail item and the preference is for simplicity. Too bad for me in that this really limits what I can do with a figure, but then, lucky for me because it is usually easier to sculpt a figure as a single piece than in parts.

Ray
  4. fanai Well-Known Member

Australia
    love all the details ray - yes I must agree with you about figures and train people - to get them painted beyound flesh for face -black for shoes etc

Ian
  5. mil-mart A Fixture

United-Kingdom
    Ray, excellent stances and great detail in figures so small.
    Thanks for showing.
    Cheers Ken
  6. Ray Active Member

United-States
    Ian and Ken,
    Thanks for replying I appriciate your having a look and letting me know that you did. It is encouraging to know that someone else has an interest in ones work, inspirational even.

Ray