1. Copying kits is a crime that hurts original artists & producers. Help support your favorite artists by buying their original works. PlanetFigure will not tolerate any activities related to recasting, and will report recasters to authorities. Thank you for your support!

1/35th Scale WWII Russian Sculpt

Discussion in 'vBench (Works in Progress)' started by Anders Heintz, Jun 30, 2007.

1. Anders Heintz Well-Known Member

United-States
    Hola Guys,

Here is another figure I am just about finished with. Its a 1/35th scale Russian Army Scout 1942-1943. Sculpted using Aves putty with black acrylic mixed in with the putty. It was fun to do some different textures and seam detail, something which I haven't done much of before. As always after looking at pictures one always see something that needs to be fixed and I'll work on the head some more, if you see something else please let me know!

[IMG]

[IMG]

[IMG]

[IMG]

[IMG]

[IMG]

[IMG]
  2. ArturM Well-Known Member

Poland
    Hi!
    Very good figure, bro! I very like it. Compliments.

Best regards
    Artur
  3. Roy New Member

United-Kingdom
    Hi Anders...I don't know much about the era but I sure like what I see..love those big 'ol gauntlets and the fur warmers on the lower legs...the creases look very attrctive too..very nice work.
    How do you find Aves in comparison with MS..I'd be interested to see what you think..

All the best...Roy.
  4. Stephen Ward Active Member

United-States
    Awesome

Really good looking sculpt, Anders. The subject is interesting as well, it's something a little different with the uniform features that you chose. How do you get the smooth transitions on the folds of the pants and sleeves? It takes me forever to get any kind of good transitions on ones I sculpt. Looking forward to more progress dude.
  5. Jason W. Active Member

United-States
    Awesome sculpt, Anders! The folds look nice and crisp. And pose is nice too.
  6. nickverbakel New Member

United-States
    Wow amazing i like that jacket alot!
    May i ask why you have added black paint?
    Is it going to be in production?
    Great job

Nick
  7. paulyrichard New Member

United-Kingdom
    Amazin' work, Anders. It looks stunnin'.

I have jus' noticed a slight odd lookin' crease in the tip of a fold on his right leg, your left. Was this intended?!
  8. Panzer Active Member

United-States
    Figure has a few problems

Anders
    The head is definitely off center with the torso and your collar is not centered with the shoulders.
    This can be fixed by grinding off the fur collar and remounting the head and then re-sculpt the collar. But still nice work. Mrosko

Attached Files:

• r9l.jpg
      r9l.jpg
      File size:
      41.8 KB
      Views:
  9. garyjd Well-Known Member

United-States
    Anders, Other than the comments noted by Chris, I think this is your best sculpt to date. ~Gary
  10. Jeff T A Fixture

Australia

Love it Anders, it looks great.

Cheers,
    Jeff.
  11. Anders Heintz Well-Known Member

United-States
    Thanks guys for all your comments!
    Roy,

The main differences in characteristics of the two putties is that Aves is much softer and stickier then Magic Sculpt is when wet, and when cured Aves is much like a hard plaster while Magic Sculpt is harder and 'waxier' then Aves. I guess Aves is a bit like Milliput except you can work it while wet :) and a little softer when cured. Magic Sculpt is much better for carving and shaping of folds cured while Aves is nice to work with while wet and for blending new putty to cured areas due to its softness.

Stephen,

I use mainly a couple of different sized round tools. What I did was I took a brass rod, put it in a dremmel tool and sharpened it with sandpaper, one very fine point and one a bit thicker. These ends were put into a wooden dowel so its easy to use and I have both ends on the same tool. Basically all I do is shape the fold with the propper round end of this tool, and I use the tool to smooth out the folds. I have used wet brushes in the past to smooth the folds out, but when you do that you loose some of the sharpeness of the folds. Although you can resharpen them with an X-Acto knife if you want to, although like I stated earier it is harder to do with Aves then with Magic Sculpt. Hope this helpes a bit :) If not let me know!

Nick,

I like to add color to the putty due to the Aves I use is pure White. Its hard to see the details when its white, like the gloves, where the gloves are dark and the seams are light colored, its easy to see what you are doing, while if it was white it would be harder to distinguish what you are doing.

Yes, it will be a commercial piece.

Paul,

Yeah it was intentional, but when you point it out and I look at it now it looks silly! Will have to do something about that! Thanks!

Chris,

Your right, it was a bit off, not quite as much as it looks in the picture due to the angle, but what I did was I moved the left shoulder in to the edge of the fur collar, same as the other side and it looks much better. I'll post some updated pictures soon.

Thanks again guys, feedback like this is very helpful in producing as good a piece as possible.
  12. T50 A Fixture

United-States
    Anders
    The figure is looking great!!! I love the way you handled the
    gloves and the pants.

TS
  13. Christos Well-Known Member

Greece
    That's a beauty!!!!!
    christos
  14. Roy New Member

United-Kingdom
    Many thanks for the insight Anders...I have some Aves here, I'll have to give it a try.

All the best...Roy.
  15. Anders Heintz Well-Known Member

United-States
    Thanks Guys,

Im glad it was of some help to you Roy. Give it a try and check it out, its worth while doing. But like I said, if you like to carve use the MS! It saves a lot of frustration. Although Aves does have a few different products, I have found the Aves Natural color (which is about same color as MS) is more like MS and a bit waxier once cured, while the Aves White that I used for this figure is more like hard plaster. Maybe something to do with the chemicals in the putty? Not sure.

Here are some pictures of the reworked torso, its much better now I think.

[IMG]

[IMG]
  16. Panzer Active Member

United-States
    Anders
    Much better looking, it is good that you are listening to us. Take care. Mrosko
    Drop me a line.Mrosko
  17. SPrimeau Active Member

United-States
    Looks great Anders! Look forward to seeing this one out on the market. I like using the natural Aves better, it does act more like MS which is the putty I am more used to. The colored Aves products do have different properties than the natural which I just find easier to use. Personally I have a tub of the black and don't like it at all! I have resorted to just using small amounts of the black in my natural mix just to give different tints to the putties for ease of sculpting.... Anyhow, the figure looks awesome, great job Anders-
    Scott
  18. Anders Heintz Well-Known Member

United-States
    Thanks Scott :)

I was surprised to see how big a difference it was between the natural and the white. I havent tried their black or any other of their products so can't comment on that. The white Aves is also nice because you can color it any way you want to, I've done blue, red, pink, green, black etc with good results. Its a nice change to look at a new color every now and then.
  19. vergilius New Member

Belgium
    great stuff !!