1. Copying kits is a crime that hurts original artists & producers. Help support your favorite artists by buying their original works. PlanetFigure will not tolerate any activities related to recasting, and will report recasters to authorities. Thank you for your support!

1/35th Scale chart

Discussion in 'Sculpting' started by Alex M., Sep 27, 2004.

1. Alex M. Active Member

Canada
    Hey guys,

I got a chart from a fellow planeteer a few days ago, and finally got around to printing it but it seems too small...sized up with a 1/35th figure, it's off by a cm at least..

Is there something i'm doing it wrong (i'm working through photoshop and printing it at actual size, not scaled down or anything)

Is there something else out there you might recommend ?

-Alex
  2. Anders Heintz Well-Known Member

United-States
    Hey Alex,

:( Well, did you try to rescale it so it will print in right size? Use the chart that I sent with the different percentages in the lower right hand side, find 1/35th, adjust accordingly. If it doesnt print the right size, then make the adjustments and print again.
  3. Alex M. Active Member

Canada
    Hey man,

That's the chart i was using, and even scaled properly, it wouldn't print right..so i don't what's goin on..
    Let me know..

-Alex
  4. Einion Well-Known Member

Alex, this could be a resolution/size thing in Photoshop. In a pixel-based image the way that size works sometimes isn't as obvious as you'd expect.

If the file Anders supplied was SS (same size) at a given resolution you just need to print it at 100%. If this is the case and it doesn't come out at the right size the printer's RIP might be interfering - we used to find a one or two percent discrepancy in laser prints.

Regardless of the cause, to work out what scale to print it use the formula:
    % = SR x 100 / OS
    That's the size you need times 100 divided by the current size on the printout.

Einion
  5. Alex M. Active Member

Canada
    Thanks for the help guys..figured it out during my sleepless night last night...i just measured out the height of a "perfectly" straight standing figure, hornet and corpus (i like their version of 1/35th) and scaled the chart

-Alex
  6. Einion Well-Known Member

Hi Alex, 1/35 scale shouldn't be scaled to a figure ideally, you should use something of a known, fixed, dimension like a rifle.

Average height for 1/35 scale can be considered 49.3mm but that depends of course on what height the person depicted is ;)

Einion
  7. Alex M. Active Member

Canada
    My armature is a rough measurement based on my preferred scale of 1/35th (i find warriors to be a bit on the large size, so it measures out (from boots to peaked cap) of about 50mm

I measure it partially with the height of the panzerfaust based on the leg (images i have of one being held straight down next to a leg) so it's about the right height..i think my calculations brought the subject out to 5'10"-6'

Thanks again for your help,

Alex
  8. Einion Well-Known Member

Hi Alex, thought this might help, in 1/35 scale:
    Average height (roughly 5'8") = 49.3mm
    5'10" = 50.8mm
    6' = 52.3mm
    To paraphrase something Dudley Moore said, when you're this small every millimetre counts :)

Einion
  9. Alex M. Active Member

Canada
    Then the figure measures out to 52mm...just shy of 6" ;)
    Looks like he'll be that big, mean, cream of the crop SS officer

-Alex
  10. garyjd Well-Known Member

United-States
    Guys, I have found the scaler on this site to be of great value in calclating the height of a figure or length of a musket/rifle.~Gary