1. Copying kits is a crime that hurts original artists & producers. Help support your favorite artists by buying their original works. PlanetFigure will not tolerate any activities related to recasting, and will report recasters to authorities. Thank you for your support!

1/35th bassguitar

Discussion in 'vBench (Works in Progress)' started by Marijn Van Gils, Feb 6, 2007.

1. Marijn Van Gils New Member

OK, this is also not really a figure...

While working on another project, I couldn't hold myself from from sculpting my own bassguitar (Warwick Thumb n/t). I decided to present it on a section of typical rehearsal-room floor, creating this still-life without figure. Title: "band-practice break".

The scene is 1.35th, which makes the bass about 3cm tall.

All comments are very welcome!

Best wishes,

Marijn

[IMG]

[IMG]

[IMG]

[IMG]

[IMG]
  2. Marijn Van Gils New Member

I also took a photo with a 1 eurocent coin included, just to give a better idea of the size:

[IMG]
  3. periklis_sale Member

Greece
    AMAZINGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGG!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

what can i say mate!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
  4. Angaliel A Fixture

France
    Where is the bassGuitar strap belt? How can you play bass without strap belt?

It's not rock n roll without it lol

By the way, its wonderfully done

JP
  5. Christos Well-Known Member

Greece
    Incredible detail my friend!
    My compliments
    christos
  6. Sambaman Well-Known Member

United-States
    VERY fun piece! Love the details, the cigarette buts, the picks and stains on the floor, the pad of paper where they have been writting down the music........very, very cool stuff! My son is a bass player, both upright and electric and he would love this one! Very creative Marijn......we've come to espect nothing less! How did you string the bass so convincingly?

Jay H.
    OKC
  7. vergilius New Member

Belgium
    Nobody said it had to be a figure. Actually your gitar looks better than most figurines I've seen.
  8. marcellin de marbot New Member

Italy
    Hi Marjn
    Wonderful job, I had this bass guitar some years ago, now I turned to a Fender jazz, but it was really a good instrument. And in this scale it's incredible. When a SWR, Trace Elliot, Ampeg, or Acoustic amplifier?
    Best wishes
    M
  9. btavis Active Member

United-States
    Reminds me of some pieces Jim Holt did a few years ago of rock stars. Great job Marijn. Having played in a band for several years it is a very familiar still life to me. If you add the drummer passed out on the floor it could have been my band:)
  10. bosko b Member

Amazing work Marijn!

What fascinates me the most about this still life is the ” in-scaleness ” of every part of the scene.
    What I mean is that rolled cable has a certain heavy feel to it, it does not look as a piece of rolled-up wire, the paper is not too tick etc.
    The most amassing are the strings on the guitar!

I can imagine everything else being done in putty but what did you use for the cables and the strings (those must be 0.1mm)?

Best regards,

Luka
  11. dimgall Active Member

Greece
    killer!!!not much the pix talks themselves!!!
  12. jjgurk Member

United-States
    Great little piece!

John
  13. PJ Deluhery Active Member

United-States
    Stunning work, Marijn! The composition is impresive.
  14. BESPJL Active Member

Portugal
    Hi Marijn,

I'm "stringless", or should I say, speachless.

Cheers,
    Paulo
  15. Marijn Van Gils New Member

Thanks a lot for all the comments guys!

JP, you're very right! I consciencely left it of as it detracts from the beautiful lines of the bass...
    ... and I didn't feel like doing it! :)

Jay, the strings are made with stretched sprue. You know, the sprues from plastic kits, heated over a candle flame and then stretched. You can make it as thin as a hair (or thinner!), and it is easy to cut and glue. After gluing, it is possible to tension them more by applying gentle heat (holding an incents stick closeby), but I didn't need to do that for the bass. Only disadvantage: it is fragile.
    I chose grey plastic (becomes lighter when stretched), so I didn't need to paint it. Metallic paints would sparkle too much for this scale, and any paint would thicken them a lot, so this gave the best scale appearance.

Marcellin, that's funny! I changed from (my father's) late '70ies Fender Jazz to the Thumb! Well, with basses at that quality level, it is all about personal preferences...

Hello Bob! Yes, I remeber those Jim Holt pieces very well! Even so much, one of them partly inspired one of my next projects...
    Mmm, the base was a little small for the passed out drummer, but maybe just the hand coming in from the edge, holding a drumstick, would be clear enough for anyone unfortunately enough to ever have come in contact with drummers? :) Really, I played in the same band for over 10 years with me and two guitar players always there, but changing drummers all the time. Now we're on n° 5, and I hope he'll stay...

Luka, you're very right about the importance of things being in scale. I always spend extra time just to figure out how to get it in scale as much as possible, as it adds enourmously to the feeling of realism of any piece. In this case, the papers are not regular paper but (very thin) cigarette paper. The cables are 0.2mm copper wire and are easy to make, but time was spent to make them hang realisticly. No secret to this, it just needs time and care. As mentioned above, the strings are stretched sprue and are a lot thinner than 0.1mm. The neck of the base is already less than 2mm wide!

Thanks Pat! I always find it difficult to make something look busy in a natural way instead of contrieved and staged, and that was certainly the case with this one.

Thanks again everybody!

Marijn
  16. eissteban Active Member

France
    hi Marijn
    Your work is, as always, superb, but ...
    The amazing thing is the 1 cent euro !!!!!!
    I don't have it in my collection.
    I have all of them, only the 1 centime from Nederlands and Luxembourg :(

One more time, wonderfull saynete and thanks to share with us, please continue.

Seb.
  17. tefaet Active Member

Spain
    Nice work Marijn ,I wait see you in Torrente.
    Regards, Jose Luis
  18. garyjd Well-Known Member

United-States
    Marijn, Great stuff. This shows that figures are not always needed to bring life to a scene.~Gary
  19. Uruk-Hai PlanetFigure Supporter

Sweden
    You really got to love this piece. The extra-sockets, bottle, notes etc.
    It actually feels like it more 1/6 scale than 1/35, if not 1/1.

Cheers
  20. megroot A Fixture

Netherlands
    Marijn,

Wonderfull piece. I cannot play a bass, but i'm struggling with a six string electric guitar.
    Really good work.

marc