1. Copying kits is a crime that hurts original artists & producers. Help support your favorite artists by buying their original works. PlanetFigure will not tolerate any activities related to recasting, and will report recasters to authorities. Thank you for your support!

1/35 Tristar figure (jaw-dropping plastic kit)

Discussion in 'vBench (Works in Progress)' started by Michael Tse, Apr 23, 2010.

1. Michael Tse Active Member

HongKong
    Hi all,

I bet we all came across resin or even white metal kits so rubbish they look more adequate among plastic injection equivalents.

Conversely, and surprisingly, some (but very few) plastic kits have so much to offer that once primed, you can easily confuse them with, say, an Alpine release. Just a glance at the box art picture below and you will know what I mean.

Perhaps more familiar to armour modellers is the Japanese firm Tristar. This figure came from their product item 007: German Self-Propelled Gun Crew Set Vol. 2. The sculptor is Yoshitaka Hirano (平野义高). I personally think this firm produces the betst plastic figure kits in the market. Their renditions of some of the less attention-grabbing German armours are also top-notched stuff, easily eclipsing Dragon Models.

My painting here looks clumsy in places, and it is subject to further adjustments in shading and highlight here and there (just cant wait to share!!!). Criticisms and advices are direly needed.

Thanks for looking.

Michael

Attached Files:

• 1.jpg
      1.jpg
      File size:
      177.5 KB
      Views:
    • 2.jpg
      2.jpg
      File size:
      178 KB
      Views:
    • 3.jpg
      3.jpg
      File size:
      189.8 KB
      Views:
    • 4.jpg
      4.jpg
      File size:
      177.7 KB
      Views:
    • 5.jpg
      5.jpg
      File size:
      201.1 KB
      Views:
  2. rheath Active Member

South-Africa
    Thanks Michael - look these are very good plastic injection renditions, other examples are HobbyBoss ?? (think I have the name right, excuse if not) and so on with interchangeable heads, this will work well with diorama set ups, not really any good as a free standing figure unless in a vignette. I like them very much as they are fun to do and don't cost much and yes the figure could be mistaken as resin molded. :cool:
  3. 1969 A Fixture

United-Kingdom
    Agreed these do look very good for plastic injection, the main let down i find in plastic is the head, how does this one compare with resin etc, do you need to replace with a hornet for e.g ?

Steve(y)
  4. Michael Tse Active Member

HongKong
    Hi Rob and Steve,

I am glad you agree.

Rob, I personally feel that HobbyBoss is at the lower end, least likely to be associated with excellence. And as me and the firm share the same origin: China, I can assure you I am not biased. One can appreciate HobbyBoss for their efforts in presenting numerous variants of T34s and KVs, at a rather affordable price. And that some of the T34s include inner structures. But that's where the compliment stops. As a Chinese hobbylist I would love to say "well done" to Trumpeter and HobbyBoss. But even the leader, Trumpeter, still struggles to present a truly respectable armour kit, let alone figure kits.

Steve, a Hornet head is indeed being considered. But the original heads are quite good already. There is a specific sensibility attached to a group of Japanese sculptors that ensures likeness and naturalism, either it be plastic, resin or white metal. This is an exclusively Japanese quality that I can't quite describe.
  5. Michael Tse Active Member

HongKong
    After some retouches, the following pics are taken. Having previously dealt with only 120mm, 1/35 scale figure painting is to me a completely new world. And I think my lack of expertise and know-how is pretty evident in these pictures :(.

This is ironic for someone who entered the hobby with 1/35 tanks.

Attached Files:

• 1.jpg
      1.jpg
      File size:
      178.2 KB
      Views:
    • 2.jpg
      2.jpg
      File size:
      178.9 KB
      Views:
    • 3.jpg
      3.jpg
      File size:
      176.2 KB
      Views:
    • 4.jpg
      4.jpg
      File size:
      173.8 KB
      Views:
    • 5.jpg
      5.jpg
      File size:
      177.1 KB
      Views:
  6. T50 A Fixture

United-States
    This figure looks great.
    I think the sculptor is Mr. Hirano from Japan.
    It is very difficult to sculpt a figure that can be
    produced in injection mold with such details...!
    One has to know ins and outs of the process.
  7. Michael Tse Active Member

HongKong
    Yes T50, it is by Mr Hirano.
  8. mcsneed17 Member

all i am asking is do you have any figure like this one that is anything other than germany-ww2?
  9. Michael Tse Active Member

HongKong

Yes. Since your question is quite general, I can only speculate that you mean anything with this level of details, at this scale, in plastic.

From the same manufacturer is the Soviet tank crew set:
    http://www.tristar-model.com/products35012.html

Please let me know if this is not what you meant.

I know how the word German could put people off in this hobby. Like Brad Pitt or George Clooney in an Oscar contender. But this firm really does a good job with the figures, German or not. I strongly recommend most of their figure kits (which happen to be mainly German). The same can't be said about Brad Pitt.
  10. alanmac Member

United-Kingdom
    Hi

Maybe you meant Hobbyfan not HobbyBoss.

They make figures, but they are not plastic, but resin.

Here is a set I have for the Flak 88. They do a fair few American soldier subjects as well.

[IMG]

Alan