1. Copying kits is a crime that hurts original artists & producers. Help support your favorite artists by buying their original works. PlanetFigure will not tolerate any activities related to recasting, and will report recasters to authorities. Thank you for your support!

Completed 1/35 Tamiya IJA fun

Discussion in 'vBench (Works in Progress)' started by Kimmo, May 20, 2023.

1. Kimmo A Fixture

It's been a weird few months, lots of things not happening and lots of things unfortunately happening. Been working on a classic Tamiya kit and figure for the better part of three months. I gussied up both the the figure and tank. Considering the original molds are 50 years old, they are pretty good out of the box but not up to today's standards. I improved things with styrene, copper cable, some etch mesh and new tracks.

Here's what I ended up with after a fair bit of work. Click on photos for full size.

1a.jpg

2a.jpg

3a.jpg

4a.jpg

5a.jpg

6a.jpg

7a.jpg

8a.jpg

And here's where I'm at after 4-5 painting sessions.

46.JPG

47.JPG

48.JPG

49.JPG

50.JPG

51.JPG

52.JPG

53.JPG

54.JPG

55.JPG

56.JPG

I decided I was going to give NMM a try for the entire project for a change of pace and to see how it would turn out. So far so good, the tracks will be the make or break moment. If they don't work out, I can always go back and use metallics. I'll try and show the process for the tracks when start them.

Kimmo
  2. Redcap A Fixture

United-Kingdom
    The extra detail you have added to the figure really does elevate it to the next level and the paint job is excellent. Looks great!
    Gary
    Jasper, Oda and steeleagle like this.
  3. Nap Moderator

England
    Hi Kimmo

Great to see you posting ,good subject nice modelling and additions on both

Paintings coming along well

Following with interest

Happy benchtime

Nap
    Oda likes this.
  4. Kimmo A Fixture

Cheers Gary and Nap! Feels good to be doing something again. Hopefully I'll have an update early in the week.

Kimmo
    Nap and Oda like this.
  5. T-34/85 PlanetFigure Supporter

United-States
    Fantastic work on this venerable kit! Looking forward to seeing your results with the tracks, Are they 3D?

tom
    Oda likes this.
  6. Robert Jan de Wit PlanetFigure Supporter

Netherlands
    Great job Kimmo.
    I really like the upgrade you did on the figure.

greets,
    RJ
  7. Kimmo A Fixture

Cheers Tom and RJ!

Tom, the tracks are Vision Models injected individual tracks. They are a major improvement on the kit's rubber tracks but are kinda disappointing. They should just click together, which they do, but fall apart unless you glue them. And if you glue them, you press them into each other more to make sure they stay put which shortens the run which means less sag. You get 4 links extra each side which isn't nearly enough for my taste. The link is a very complex shape, and there were some problems with the track pin hole splitting as it is very thin walled. If you look closely in the photos below you'll see what I mean. If money was not a concern, I'd go with 3D tracks or Friuls. Considering how much work is needed to get to the kit looking this good, I'd think about starting off with the Fine Molds or Dragon offering.

Finally got an update. I spent two days getting the tracks to a point where I could test fit them, and realised I needed to add the wheels and some basic dust to the lower hull. I really couldn't take in progress shots, just not enough space to shift everything around. The process was pretty basic, dark grey brown base colour, followed by a darker wash, rusty wash, then a mid grey brown for the initial tone on the track faces and worn areas and edge highlight/glaze to taste. Tedious, but not terribly difficult as it turns out and I'm happy with where it's at now.

57.JPG

58.JPG

59.JPG

60.JPG

Now I can glue the tracks and wheels in place and fine tune the NMM and continue with the weathering, which will basically be a dust coat using paint and maybe washes. Can't be bothered to use pigments this time around.

Kimmo
    David Spencer, Ferris, Alex_D and 2 others like this.
  8. T-34/85 PlanetFigure Supporter

United-States
    The tracks look great. Thanks for the feedback on them. I’ve been considering building some Japanese armor. I have both this kit and the Dragon one.

tom
  9. steeleagle Member

United-States
    Really awesome job on this old kit. IJA tanks are a neglected subject which is a shame as their color schemes are as much fun to replicate a the German schemes. IMHO. Great job!
  10. Nap Moderator

England
    Hi Kimmo

Nice work on the tank ...those tracks look a lot of work to put together but certainly do the job

Must admits it's good to see the IJA being modelled

Following with interest

Happy benchtime

Nap
  11. Kimmo A Fixture

Cheers Tom, Steel and Nap!

Japanese armour is neat to be sure, funky looking things with some interesting schemes. I really like inter/pre-war camo schemes, so many interesting patterns and the thinking behind them. I have a couple more in the stash that would qualify as eye catching, just need to sort out some details and schedules.

Nap, indy tracks are extremely tedious at best, a right pain in the backside at worst. These are not too bad as far as things go.

Another session in, this time getting the lighting sorted out now that the running gear is glued in place. The most irritating part of all this is waiting for things to dry out properly to see what you have. I went a touch too light with the track faces, a few glazes should sort that out.

61.JPG

62.JPG

63.JPG

64.JPG

67.JPG

68.JPG

A crop of the front end to show the brushwork. One of the greys I'm using is Panzer Aces German Tank Crew II, it has a greenish tint and works as a nice compliment to Basalt Grey which has a wee bit of blue. I'll take a shot of the palette for the next update.

66.JPG

Another couple of rounds of tedium should sort the tracks out. I'm undecided on whether to give all the metal bits a coat of satin varnish or not when all is said and done to smooth things out and to give them some shine. We'll see...

Kimmo

Attached Files:

• 65.JPG
      65.JPG
      File size:
      952.1 KB
      Views:
  12. Kimmo A Fixture

Been out of commission for a bit with some health issues, finally back at the bench trying to wrap things up.

The base has been more or less completed, a few touch ups needed. The figure is almost there, the goggles need more work. The tank is about 95% now. The last round of work involved a million little things and a round of inks. The inks smoothed out the tracks nicely I think, and made the shiny metal bits more shiny. The figure benefited from a few light touches as well, mainly the leather.

A quick peek at the base and tank

69.JPG

70.JPG

71.JPG

72.JPG

And the figure

73.JPG

74.JPG

75.JPG

76.JPG

I'm hoping to get things finished in the next couple of days.

Kimmo
  13. Nap Moderator

England
    Hi Kimmo

Sorry to hear ref health , hope things remain better now , good to see you back at the bench

Nice work on the figure and the tanky

Look forward to seeing more on both

Happy benchtime

Nap
  14. T-34/85 PlanetFigure Supporter

United-States
    Your projects looks great as you head into the finish line with it. Your use of inks have given it a nice, “pop” factor for the tracks,

tom
  15. theBaron A Fixture

United-States
    Excellent progress, Kimmo! You put the lie to the opinion that many hold, that Tamiya's old figures are no good. Maybe they're not as crisp as today's resin figures, or 3D-sculpted and -printed figures. But you can still get excellent results with them, with skill and time. I look forward to your finish on this project!

Prost!
    Brad
    MattMcK. likes this.
  16. Kimmo A Fixture

Cheers Nap, Tom and Brad! No updates yet, knock on wood for some bench time tomorrow.

Tom, inks never fail to amaze me, they do so many interesting things.

Brad, Tamiya figs are hit and miss, new and old. No different than anybody else really.Usually the basics are there and you get a reasonably good starting point. It all comes down to who sculpted it and how it was broken down rather than when it was made. I need to get my hands on some of the very recent releases, they look really nice.

Kimmo
    theBaron and Nap like this.
  17. theBaron A Fixture

United-States

Yeah, I mean the old figures, produced the traditional way. Hand-sculpted masters used to produce the tooling for injection-molding. Many today turn their noses up at them, and understood, with the quality we have today. But I defend the figures because they were among the first I painted when I was in my teens, and I look back fondly on them. And I remember the things Shep did with figures like that-they were starting points for conversions.

But you're right to want to build the new ones. Today, Tamiya uses 3D imaging, working from live models in uniform and with their gear. Those masters are used to create 3D-printed parts. The level of detail, the crispness, is indeed better than their old figures. The commander in the Hellcat tank destroyer, for example, is an excellent injection-molded figure, because of the improved technology. I definitely encourage you to get some of the new ones and try them!

Prost!
    Brad
    Nap likes this.
  18. Kimmo A Fixture

Still no update, now I've been dealing with heat. If it isn't one thing its another. I have managed to do most of what's needed to be done, just need to glue the tank to the base and do a few more little things. Need to get the bench cleared and do a general clean up for a time sensitive project so I'm getting rather impatient with progress...

Brad, agree that older figs can be, and should be, gussied up with a bit of work and they make great practice pieces for sculpting and posing purposes. Just need to find the mood to get stuck in with them. I did up a Dragon piece before I started on this project and will get back to it over the summer once I've gotten other things taken care of. It got stalled because of a sling and trying to decide on groundwork.

Kimmo
    theBaron and Nap like this.
  19. Kimmo A Fixture

I think I'm finally done. I've been working in the dead of night when it's cooler meaning very little gets done. Me and the heat don't get along too well, and it aggravates other stuff to add to the enjoyment factor. I'll do a once over tomorrow and take some good photos, these are a bit over-exposed.

77.JPG

78.JPG

79.JPG

80.JPG

81.JPG

82.JPG

Kimmo
    China Dave, Martin64, Henk and 2 others like this.
  20. David Spencer A Fixture

United-Kingdom
    This looks really nice.
    There is a shortage of Japanese subjects around and it's good to see this project getting proper attention.