1. Copying kits is a crime that hurts original artists & producers. Help support your favorite artists by buying their original works. PlanetFigure will not tolerate any activities related to recasting, and will report recasters to authorities. Thank you for your support!

Completed 1/35 Dragon Conversion-SS Sturmmann, Totenkopf Div. Poland 1944

Discussion in 'vBench (Works in Progress)' started by Von Luch, Feb 1, 2010.

1. Von Luch Active Member

United-States
    This conversion started as an OOB figure from Dragon kit# 6153, German infantry (Ukraine, summer 1943).
    I wanted to create a young looking, boyish looking SS soldier on the eastern front.
    The first set of photo's show the figure OOB and following the OOB are photo's of the figure in the first and second choice poses. There is actually a third and final pose that was eventually chosen for the finish. I'll post more pic's tomorrow.

Jim

Attached Files:

2. Von Luch Active Member

United-States
    More Pic's..

Attached Files:

3. tonydawe A Fixture

Australia
    Very nice conversion Jim. I'll be following your progress with interest.
  4. housecarl Moderator

United-Kingdom
    Interesting project Jim.
    Carl.
  5. ubbi Active Member

Italy
    Ehilà Jim, very nice project, i will follow your next steps (y)

cheers

stefano

12.jpg " let me hear "
  6. 1969 A Fixture

United-Kingdom
    I am enjoying watching your single figure conversions Jim, this one looks like its going to be another nice looking figure when complete.

Steve(y)
  7. SPrimeau Active Member

United-States
    Another kneeling guy.... Just kidding Jim, looks great and I like the torn shoulderboard made from lead foil-right? Once again a dramatic change from the OOB figure. Thanks for sharing-
    Scott
  8. Von Luch Active Member

United-States
    Tony and Carl- Thanks fella's for the great appreciation for my work!:)

Stefano, my KISS brother from another mother, thanks much for the great feedback, and I love the Demon photo! I would say this was taken 1977 or '78, looks like Love Gun costume.

THE KISS ARMY IS ALIVE AND WELL!(y)

Steve- Thanks for the very encouraging words! Much appreciated!

Scott- Thanks for the great compliments! Yes, the boards are made from lead foil. (y)
  9. Von Luch Active Member

United-States
    This figure was converted in 2007. My next set of photo's show the progression of the conversion, and painting. I should probably talk a bit about what I did to as far as the conversion. I used a youthful warriors resin head and sculpted the neck, and also sculpted the left fore arm below the elbow. Scraped off the left shoulder board and added two layers of shoulder board tore from the shoulder, hanging down. Scraped off moulded D rings and O ring on Y strap and modeled new D and O rings with wire and foil. I scraped off moulded gas mask cannister strap and added a double strap, lead foil helmet strap, lead foil gun strap, and rope used for sling for panzerfaust.
    As far as painting, the tear on the left knee was painted, something I learned from watching Doug Cohen's seminar at Chicago a couple years ago on painting in tears on clothing. I added blood on the knee and bandage/forehead. base coated in acrylics and finished in oils. Water slide decals added for insignia. Base was scratch built, ground work was celluclay with static grass and a couple of rocks.

Thanks for looking! :)

Attached Files:

10. Von Luch Active Member

United-States
    Finished pic's...

Attached Files:

11. Von Luch Active Member

United-States
    Detail pic's. Some of these first pic's were kind of grainy, these aren't much better, sorry!

Attached Files:

12. Maki Active Member

Croatia
    Great work once again. I love seeing your figures come to life... amazing stuff.

Cheers,
    Mario
  13. 1969 A Fixture

United-Kingdom
    Exellent, i am becoming a big fan of your single figure works, great posing and painting.

Steve(y)
  14. mil-mart A Fixture

United-Kingdom
    Jim , brilliant conversion , so much detail and to top it off what a great face.
    Look forward to more. (y)

Cheers Ken
  15. kansas kid Well-Known Member

United-States
    1:35th??? Just incredible

Since you're in Minnesota, perhaps you are acquainted with the work of
    Steve Hustead (sp?). Until I saw your pictures of this amazing figure
    conversion in 1:35th, I said he was the best American figure modeler I'd
    ever seen. I'd put you at the head of the class. Just incredible work, and
    the look in the eyes, the face tells the whole story. . . of what this young
    soldier is enduring. To me there is great emotion and impact with this figure.
    War is the scourge of the Earth, and this presentation, IMO, speaks
    volumes about it.

rick brownlee

PS. Perhaps I should clarify re best I have seen, meaning best I've ever
    stood in front of while gazing at the actual figure, not online w/ a picture.
  16. ubbi Active Member

Italy
    Very beautiful so far !! i like especially the camo on the pants and the face

cheers

stefano
  17. Von Luch Active Member

United-States
    Mario- Thank you kindly for the great compliments, very appreciated! :)

Steve- Thanks again for the very inspiring words! I'll continue to produce even more new works this year! (y)

Ken- Thanks much for the nice comments! much appreciated! Ah, yes detail. A great conversion just wouldn't be a great conversion without it IMHO! Part of having great detail is having a great canvas to work with, which makes this youthful resin head so nice to use. lots of emotion in his expression. Thanks Ken! :)

Hi Rick,
    Yes, I do know Steve Hustad. He belongs to the Twin Cities Aero Historians, a model club that meets the day after my club, Minnesota Military Figure Society, meets. He is an awesome modeler. His 1/72nd scale figures blow me away. SP? You mean Scott Primeau. Scott's a very good friend of mine (my youngest son John's God father). Scott's a tremendous Modeler with both Armor and figures, particularly Sculpting Busts (Babe Ruth 2007) Chicago Gold!
    Rick, your compliments are most inspiring and literally left me speechless for a moment! Thank you very much for the kind words, and I'm honored! :D Yes, the eyes and the face say it all! That look of impending doom, uncertainty, awaiting the Russian onslaught! This is one of my favorite figures. Thanks again Rick. Maybe I'll see you in Tulsa this June!

Stefano- How are things in Italy? I wish I was there right now. I have something for you. Look below! Thanks much for the great feed back!

Jim

Attached Files: