1. Copying kits is a crime that hurts original artists & producers. Help support your favorite artists by buying their original works. PlanetFigure will not tolerate any activities related to recasting, and will report recasters to authorities. Thank you for your support!

1/3 Australian WW1 Stretcher Bearer Bust

Discussion in 'Sculpting' started by alamac, Feb 24, 2008.

1. alamac Well-Known Member

Australia
    G'day everyone,
    I hoped you would like to see my latest sculpt of an Australian Stretcher Bearer from The Western Front 1917.
    It is 1/3 scale with a foam core covered in Magic Sculpt with a few details done in a mixture of Green Stuff and Magic Sculpt.
    I have tried to capture the look of shear exhaustion and despair.
    All comments would be appreciated.

Cheers Alan.

Attached Files:

2. elanlane13 A Fixture

England
    Alan, a great subject choice, which you have carried off well. The face looks suitably exhausted. The fine detail is very good and I like the cloth cover to the helmet, how did you do it?

One point, should there be a flap on the front of the bag on his chest? How would he get into it?
  3. tonydawe A Fixture

Australia
    G'day Alan,

Mate,your bust is very impressive. The facial details are excellent, conveying a real sense of exhaustion. The texture on the helmet is also very effective.

Judging from the colour patch, he appears to be from the 1st Div??

Cheers
  4. alamac Well-Known Member

Australia
    G'Day Robert
    The Gas bag depicted is a long box respirator ,which judging from the various photos i checked when researching the subject showed them with the flap facing the chest ,whether this was worn backwards or if this was the type of bag i have not been able to establish maybe someone can enlighten us.As for the cloth is a heshin lookalike cotton which i found at a spotlight (cloth,towels,drapery )store , and is glued and stretches over the helmet and folded under the rim , once dried and set i then added a small amount of magisculpt under the rim and pressed the material pattern into the wet putty,otherwise the material made it too bulky and didn't look right.
    Thanks for you comments
    Cheers
    Alan
  5. alamac Well-Known Member

Australia
    Hi Tony.
    Mate the colour patch represented will be of 11 field ambulance AAMC.
    Cheers
    Al
  6. Dan Morton A Fixture

United-States
    Alan - Excellent sculpting! As to the gas mask bag, in Stephen Chambers' book on Uniforms of the British Army, the photos show it being worn with the gas mask bag flap toward the chest about as often as the flap out.

All the best,
    Dan
  7. megroot A Fixture

Netherlands
    Alan,
    Absolutely a great bust. Lot of character and exhaustion.
    Very well excecuted.

Marc
  8. vergilius New Member

Belgium
    Looks very good, mate !
  9. Roc Active Member

United-States
    Extremely well sculpted, my compliments
    Thanks for sharing.

Cheers
    Roc
  10. slaj Well-Known Member

Malta
    Must have missed this one. Nice job !!

Stephen Mallia
  11. Guy A Fixture

United-States
    Excellent work Alan.
  12. alamac Well-Known Member

Australia
    Thankyou all for your kind comments,and Dan thanks for clearing the question of the respirator bag.
    Cheers
    Alan
  13. brentonrj New Member

G'day Alan.

Very nice sculpt mate - even more exciting to see an Australian subject.

Is this a personal/commission project or would you be looking to market commercially?

I'm based in Sydney and a huge fan of Australian military figures. A WW1 Aussie bust would be a must for my grey army, so would be looking to purchase a bust of this kind.

Cheers
    Brenton