1. Copying kits is a crime that hurts original artists & producers. Help support your favorite artists by buying their original works. PlanetFigure will not tolerate any activities related to recasting, and will report recasters to authorities. Thank you for your support!

1:24 Austro-Hungarian storm trooper 1917

Discussion in 'Sculpting' started by Doberdob, Feb 2, 2008.

1. Doberdob Active Member

First I would like to say hello to all of you as I am a new member of this forum.
    I discovered this site about two years ago and since then it has become my favourite. It gave me a lot of useful information and inspired me to try sculpting soldiers instead of just drawing them which used to be my hobby for many years.

Here is my first one which i have just finished. It's a 1:24 Austro-Hungarian storm trooper of 1917. It is completely scratch built. The putty I used is magic sculp. I worked on it for a very long (too long) time as I am not easily satisfied with what I do and I was also busy with other things.

I decided for this theme because of my interest in the Great war, especially the Isonzo front (also known as the Italian front) since I live quite near to the former front lines of which silent remains are still visible from the Alps to Adriatic sea. http://prohereditate.com/en/
    I also see this as a small tribute to my numerous countrymen who fought and died in the Austro-Hungarian army in WW1.

I cant help to notice that Austro-Hungarian troops are quite neglected subject in modelling world.

Any comments and critiques are more than welcome...

Attached Files:

2. Einion Well-Known Member

Hi and welcome! Great first post :) Lovely work on the figure, it looks like you took your time on it.

Einion
  3. ArturM Well-Known Member

Poland
    Hello,
    amazing sculpure, I like it a lot. Compliments. Figure is ready for paint! :) What a pity that is not a commercial figure :( I like WWI subject too.

Hope to see more your works here.
    Best regards
    Artur
  4. Doberdob Active Member

Here are some pictures of the working process.
    Because It is my first figure i made lots of beginer's mistakes. For example I found a head a bit to big and robust so i had to correct it. As for the equipment- luckily i posess some of the original items (or rusty remains) so i could scale them down quite precisely.

Attached Files:

5. Doberdob Active Member

Thank you for your comments. :) The painting is a whole new project for me and i am quite afraid of it but i will try to do my best.
    I hope I will post something new in a near future.

All best
    Primoz
  6. billyturnip A Fixture

England
    Nice work Primoz. I'm also interested in this period. The folds and creases in the clothing look very realistic, well done.

Roger
  7. garyjd Well-Known Member

United-States
    Excellent work. To say you've done well on your first scratchbuilt figure is an understatement. The head and hands are very natural and your handling of the clothing and folds is spot on. ~Gary
  8. je_touche Member

Germany
    steel helmet

Excellent sculpt. Amazing for a first scratch-built figure.

Allow me one criticism though. I am no expert as far as World War One is concerned, but to me the helmet looks more like a German Wehrmacht model of WWII. The Austro-Hungarian helmet of WWI was modeled after the German M1916 model though, which was far larger and wider at the sides and back.

Correct me if I am wrong, but I would find it a pity if an otherwise excellent sculpt like this were thwarted by an historical inaccuracy. Others on this site are much more knowledgeable on this, so please come in to give your opinion on this point.
  9. Henri New Member

Excellent subject and well executed. I would not like to ruin eveything, but I believe the helmet is either to high on the head of this guy, or not big enough. The Stalhelm 1917 was a bit different from its successor from 1935, deeper. But that's only my impression...
  10. je_touche Member

Germany
    Lol, we were having the same idea at the same moment...
  11. vergilius New Member

Belgium
    looks really good !!
    welcome to the planet. You've made a smashing entree
  12. Doberdob Active Member

Gary,thank you very much for your compliments.In fact when I first discovered this site about two years ago first thing I saw was your SBS and I knew this was the site i was looking for.So i must say I learned a lot from you.Your are a great sculptor and painter.

Henri and je touche:Thank you for your comments. As for the helmet,it is m17 Austrian steel helmet .Same as the german m16.It differs from the German in two things.The strap of the austrian is made of linen and the metal bolts to which it was atached are mounted higher.I have a few helmets at home (see the avatar, by the way the scull is made of plaster) so I scaled one down and I did it almost perfectly.It is the head. Even though I corrected it a bit it is still a little strong.None the less ,this guy in natural size would be 180 cm high which was for that time quite tall.And yes , when I put the helmet on it looked too small to me too but I measured it many times.This sure was one of my many beginers mistakes i did and I will avoid in the future. Thanks again for your observations.
    Primoz
  13. jjgurk Member

United-States
    Excellent first sculpt and welcome to The Planet.

John
  14. Dan Morton A Fixture

United-States
    Absolutely superb, Primoz! And I hope to see you cure single-handedly the lack of Great War Austro-Hungarian figures! Just great!

All the best,
    Dan
  15. Christos Well-Known Member

Greece
    Great sculping my friend-compliments!
    christos
  16. Black Army Well-Known Member

Hungary
    Very nice job! This subject is realy a great uniqum.
    congratulations!

Cheers,
    Balázs
  17. bonehead A Fixture

United-States
    Great job! Especially for a first attempt!

Mike
  18. megroot A Fixture

Netherlands
    I hope that my first figure will look a little like this one.
    Great sculpt for the first, and the period is great.

marc
  19. Doberdob Active Member

Thank you very much for kind words. It is really encouraging to see compliments from masters like you. I hope i'll make something new soon.

Primož
  20. dinovision79 Active Member

Hi Primož,

I can only repeat the others, very well done!!! Theme selection and execution as well!
    Look forward to see the painted version
    Denes