1. Copying kits is a crime that hurts original artists & producers. Help support your favorite artists by buying their original works. PlanetFigure will not tolerate any activities related to recasting, and will report recasters to authorities. Thank you for your support!

WIP Critique 1/24(75mm) Zundapp riders project

Discussion in 'Sculpting' started by kaz6120, Sep 17, 2016.

1. kaz6120 A Fixture

Japan
    Hi all,

I've just started sculpting riders for Asuka (Tasca) Models' 1/24 Zündapp sidecar.
    I'm planning this to DAK riders in long coat, but also interested in more figures in other uniforms.
    Any comments, critiques, feedbacks are always welcomed!
    2401-fullbody-thumb.jpg

I started sculpting head.
    I want perfect 1/24 scale size figures to fit Asuka Zündapp which is modelled precisely scaled down to 1/24.
    Asuka's The DAK Panzer II tanker on the left. First I was thinking to use it as a anatomy guide but I think it's a bit over-sized for Zündapp.
    24figures-asuka-zundapp.jpg
    So I bought a 3D scanned human data to 3D printed out to perfect 1/24.
    3dprint-anatomy 060.jpg
    From left to right, 1/20(90mm), Male and Female in 1/24(75mm and 70mm)

Then using this 3D figure as an anatomy guide, I started sculpting to match its size perfectly.
    2401-head 060.jpg 2401-head 061.jpg 2401-head 062.jpg 2401-head 063.jpg 2401-head 064.jpg

And after finished sculpting head, I scratch-built helmet with Apoxie Sculpt
    2401-helm 076.jpg 2401-helm 078.jpg 2401-helm 077.jpg
    In this picture it doesn't match to the shape of the real one. I repeated "shape, sand, shoot pics to match the real one" procedure over and over until I satisfy with the result.

And...now, low-poly shape of body stage. I know it's still rough sketch but it's important for me to sculpt whole body in low polygon shape before my idea goes away. Hope you like this idea.
    2401-fullbody 068.jpg 2401-fullbody 069.jpg 2401-fullbody 070.jpg
    Rodion, Manfred, T50 and 8 others like this.
  2. Ray Mootsey Active Member

United-States
    Hello, this is looking great so far, if going to be for sale, I am interested in some DAK figures. Any plans for a MG mount for a MG 34, for the sidecar. Keep up the great work, Ray
    kaz6120 likes this.
  3. housecarl A Fixture

United-Kingdom
    Looks superb Kaz.(y)
    kaz6120 likes this.
  4. kaz6120 A Fixture

Japan
    Thanks Ray and Carl, for your comments!

Ray,
    yes I'm considering to make it into cast-ready for sale. Not sure about MG34, but developing 1/24 equipments are in my to-do list.
  5. MrBMB A Fixture

Looks great, good face
    I know you wouldn't sell a lot at all but 1/9th for that larger model out there :)
    kaz6120 likes this.
  6. T50 A Fixture

United-States
    The rider looks great so far!!!!
    kaz6120 likes this.
  7. Dan Morton A Fixture

United-States
    Looking great!!

Has any of the digital community thought about providing reduced size manikins the joints of which can be bent to suit?

All the best,
    Dan
    kaz6120 likes this.
  8. kaz6120 A Fixture

Japan
    Thanks MrBMB, Taesung, Dan, for your warm compliments! but please note I've only finished head and half-done helmet and body is still just a lump of clay yet... :)

>MrBMB
    Yes I know 1/24 is not a standard scale for WW2 items, but I love this scale, it's great scale on sculpting, painting, and displaying.
    I don't understand why not more companies join this scale. (I know whole AFV world is completely brainwashed by Tamiya 1/35... :) )

>Taesung,
    Thanks a lot for your comment, Strongly inspired by Alpine's 1/35 rider pair.

> Dan,
    Japanese figure company Max Factory done a closer concept of the figure, named "Figma". which is designed for cartoonists and illustrators. They are a bit cartoonish to me but I like its concept.

https://www.amazon.com/Max-Factory-...ie=UTF8&qid=1474252736&sr=1-10&keywords=figma

Developing the mannequins for scale model figure sculpting sounds interesting.
    T50 likes this.
  9. kaz6120 A Fixture

Japan
    If someone has a good reference for DAK diver coat or long coat, please let me know. It's hard to find good pics.
    2283964ac0c918fef91cb1c9b5a10c05.jpg exclusive-bike-box-bb.jpg dak-afrika-korps-1941-42-r12_imagesia-com_buki_large.jpg

This is the picture my idea came from.
    92f9d1d1666d4e4e354f9143705c50d3.jpg

I found this pics too, but I can't find this original one which was actually used.
    afp_images_2928.jpg
    Is this the original one? I'm not sure.
    2437_dak_mantel_1afileminimizer.jpg
    I found this pic in here.
    http://afrikakorps.forumcrea.com/viewtopic.php?id=1901
  10. MrBMB A Fixture

Sorry Kaz I didn't mean your scale wouldn't sell well, I was talking about 1/9 scale which is the scale I would like for the 1/9 model.
    Still can't believe we don't have a 1/16 bike/sidecar in plastic yet :eek:
    Mark Dollery likes this.
  11. kaz6120 A Fixture

Japan
    >MrBMB
    ESCI 1/9 is still popular and still the best kit in that scale, shame no more new releases in 1/9.

I totally agree with you about no bike in 1/16 scale. I think 1/16 is the best scale for bike + figures. I really wish there's 1/16 sidecars and Kettenkrad...
    yeo_64 and Mark Dollery like this.
  12. Mark Dollery Well-Known Member

United-Kingdom
    Got to agree with the views here, awesome sculpting & hope we see them on the shelves soon...no pressure Kaz...(y)
    Why don't the manufactureres listen to the masses, we need motorcyles in 1/16th / 120mm (i know there is resin examples as I have the Precision 1/16th Kettenkraftrad) but they would sell like hot cakes if they were in plastic!!!! (n)
    keep up the great work Kaz, we are counting on you!!!
    Mark D ;)
    kaz6120 likes this.
  13. kaz6120 A Fixture

Japan
  14. 1969 A Fixture

United-Kingdom
    Nice work so far Kaz, I know from doing some 1/9 riders that it can be very enjoyable and at times challenging getting the figure to mold comfortably with the bike.
    Will follow with interest.
    Cheers
    Steve
    kaz6120 likes this.
  15. kaz6120 A Fixture

Japan
    Thanks a lot, Steve
    Yes it's a bit challenging to fit the bike. I'm struggling on that now. :)
    1969 likes this.
  16. 1969 A Fixture

United-Kingdom
    I am sure you will succeed mate, just takes a bit of patience.
    The helmet looks very good also, not an easy helmet to get right but you are doing very well with it.
    Cheers
    Steve
    kaz6120 likes this.
  17. Martin Rohmann A Fixture

Germany
  18. Ray Mootsey Active Member

United-States
    Hello kas,it seems you touched on a popular subject, I also have a Zundapp in 1/24, 1/16, and 1/9. As I said before I would like to see DAK figures in 1/24, and if you are considering 1/16 I will jump on also. I do believe Steve can handle 1/9. Love your work, Ray
    1969 and kaz6120 like this.