1. Copying kits is a crime that hurts original artists & producers. Help support your favorite artists by buying their original works. PlanetFigure will not tolerate any activities related to recasting, and will report recasters to authorities. Thank you for your support!

Completed Critique 1/2 scale Dana Scully

Discussion in 'vBench (Works in Progress)' started by FigureLover, Jun 28, 2010.

1. FigureLover A Fixture

Australia
    Hi all,
    Just finished this bust ready to pack for its trip to the new owner on the other side of the country. Quite happy with how this one turned out, especially the eyes and lips, which are a bit easier in this large scale, although you have to put more detail into them to make them look believable. The only issue I had was because of it's weight (1.5kg) it was hard to hold, and I dropped it once and had to do a bit of touchup with the paint.
    Thanks for looking,
    Ben

Attached Files:

2. tonydawe A Fixture

Australia
    Excellent finish Ben. You probably need to restock your paint supplies after finishing this bust.
  3. pmfs A Fixture

Portugal
    Congratulations

Hi Ben,

awesome representation of this pretty and attractive Lady(y):eek:
  4. gothicgeek A Fixture

United-Kingdom
    most EXCELLENT!

:)

mARK
  5. 1969 A Fixture

United-Kingdom
    great job Ben on bringing her to life, exellent result.

Steve(y)
  6. Sambaman Well-Known Member

United-States
    Well done!

Jay H.
  7. FigureLover A Fixture

Australia
    Hi Tony, cheers for that, went through a bit of paint, even used some of my old tamiya paints for airbrushing the coat. Loving the Vallejo paints for detail work though.
    Pedro, Mark, Steve and Jay, thanks for your kind words, I'm almost sad about handing it to the new owner!!!!!
    Ben
  8. davidmitchell A Fixture

Scotland
    Very nice subtle painting on this large bust.

Cheers David
  9. theBaron A Fixture

United-States
    Great job, I like how your skin tones came out, you picked up Anderson's alabaster complexion pretty well.

Prost!
    Brad
  10. clubcat PlanetFigure Supporter

England
    Well executed, a good likeness, well done.

Melanie
  11. Christos Well-Known Member

Greece
    I like your work, looks alive!What mediums are you using?
  12. megroot A Fixture

Netherlands
    Great likeness. Scully was my favorit in the serie.
    Lovely lady, and you hit the nail.

Marc
  13. Chris Oldfield A Fixture

England
    Ben,
    Ah, the gorgeous Gillian.....I could gaze at her image all day!
    Super piece of work, I especially like her eyes & the subtle way you've shaded her jacket - was some of this done by airbrush?
    Congratulations,
    Chris.
  14. rheath Active Member

South-Africa
    Love it Ben and what a very spoton likeness.:cool:
  15. FigureLover A Fixture

Australia
    Thanks to David, Brad, Melanie, Marc and Rob, I'm glad you like her, as it was a joy to paint.
    Chris, I used various paint mediums. The flesh was done in Model Master flesh series (my own mix), hair was also base coated in Model Master and shaded with oils and dry brushed with Humbrols, Jacket was painted in Tamiya of various mixes. All detail work was done with Vallejo's. As you can see, I use what I think is suitable to get the results I'm looking for. Oh, I also used Pastel chalks and colour pencils a bit as well. HEHE.
    Christopher, All the large areas were airbrushed, to get the soft shading effects, and all small details were hand painted.
    Thanks again,
    Ben
  16. Christos Well-Known Member

Greece
    I have never used modelmaster's acrylics, I should give a try on them.Thanks
  17. Calvin Member

Really nicely done, who produces the kit ?
  18. FigureLover A Fixture

Australia
    Hi Chris, Model Master paints are not acrylics, they are enamels produced by Testors, I personally dont like their other colours, but the flesh series are great to mix and match when using an airbrush.
    Hi Calvin, Not sure who produces the kit as it was sent to me without a box, but I like the likeness and smoothness of the casting. The only problem was the fit of the front hair piece, lots of putty here.
    Ben
  19. Jamie Stokes Well-Known Member

Australia
    Ben,
    well done on this bust! Glad to hear you also used other mediums, suck as oils, and colour pencils!

We should always be willing to step outside our comfort zone, and I think you have done just that!

like how you have handled some of the skin effects, like the freckles!

cheers
  20. FigureLover A Fixture

Australia
    Hi Jamie,
    I tend to use different mediums depending on the job at hand, as I think certain paints handle different jobs in ways that others dont. Oils are good at some things, but not at others, same as acrylics.
    Ben