1. Copying kits is a crime that hurts original artists & producers. Help support your favorite artists by buying their original works. PlanetFigure will not tolerate any activities related to recasting, and will report recasters to authorities. Thank you for your support!

1/18 Pachyrhinosaurus

Discussion in 'vBench (Works in Progress)' started by gorgosaurus, Jun 14, 2013.

1. gorgosaurus Active Member

Denmark
    Whilst all my other w.i.p.´s are not progressing :facepalm: this piece is coming along nicely.
    1/18 Pachyrhinosaurus sculpted by Keith Strasser.
    Simple 2-piece kit and base. Head/neck fitting needed a deal of work and clean-up/prep took longer than I would have liked, but the kit is a "looker" and has its charms.
    [IMG]

[IMG]

[IMG]

[IMG]

[IMG]

[IMG]
    [IMG]
    Detailing, distressing and dirtying to do.

Spike.
  2. pte1643 Active Member

Whoa!

That's some seriously skillful painting there.
  3. redrik Member

Germany
    Looks very nautral! The eye is great! A lively Look!
  4. Gerry Active Member

Thats looking good spike! love the effects your getting!
    Gerry
  5. gorgosaurus Active Member

Denmark
    Thanks Pte1643, Vitali and Gerry!
    Hope to get some small details like the beak and nostrils done at the weekend.
    Spike.
  6. tonydawe A Fixture

Australia
    Hi Spike,

Superb painting. Love the subtle textures and tones in the skin.
  7. Ferris A Fixture

That is so cool! Wonderful paintwork.
    Please share your technique!

Cheers,
    Adrian
  8. theBaron A Fixture

United-States
    Beautiful job, Spike! I agree with the others, I like how you're bringing out the skin texture.

I take it you used a piece of rod to attach and support the head?

Prost!
    Brad
  9. gorgosaurus Active Member

Denmark
    Thanks for the support, guys.
    Yes, Brad, the head-neck join was drilled and pinned with a carpentry screw for extra grip.

Adrian, techniques so far - simple time-consuming stippling built up with lots of layers (and patience!), some thin washes and dry-brushing. Primed with Army Painter Skeleton Bone, pre-shading glaze of Golden Asphaltum Glaze. Base coated light neutral grey, glazed again to pick out more detail, some lighter colder greys randomly dabbed on. Then, using several distressed brushes reserved only for stippling, 3 shades of Raw Umber (transparent; watered-down opaque; opaque) followed by 3 shades of Shading Black (as before) and a final overlay of Carbon Black. Colouring on the head is thin washes and dry-brushing.
    Spike.
    Ferris likes this.
  10. Ferris A Fixture

Thanks for the info Spike!

Adrian