1. Copying kits is a crime that hurts original artists & producers. Help support your favorite artists by buying their original works. PlanetFigure will not tolerate any activities related to recasting, and will report recasters to authorities. Thank you for your support!

1:16th Scale 17th Century Netherlands Musketeer

Discussion in 'Completed Figures' started by kansas kid, Jul 26, 2015.

1. kansas kid Well-Known Member

United-States
    This is the Mini Art 1:16th scale Netherlands Musketeer. And I worked on it, on and off from 2006 until the middle of 2008. Sheesh, where did the time fly? I’ve numbered the 13 photos included in the post to make the text more clear, hopefully. Photo #1 is a portion of the box art. And when I entered this figure in some local IPMS competitions and one IPMS American Heartland regional contest I included a small sized copy of the box art mounted on a cardboard stand next to my entry, so the judges could see that this effort was a conversion.

Photo #2 shows some work using lead foil cut into stripes. The kit buttons down the breeches were cut off and replaced with rounded styrene rod, so they would be a little more prominent. The Mini Art figure kits from that time were not expensive. I thought it would be a less expensive way to learn. Thus I feel that details of some parts are not of the quality of more expensive figure models. And to me, the Musket needed to be replaced. (See Photos #3 and #4) So I glued two pieces of bass wood together so I could carve a new wooden stock. I understood from my friends in the UK and in the EU that bass wood was not available for hobbyist. Only balsa wood. I think bass wood being a “stronger” material is very good for carving. And has much more strength than balsa wood. (I hope what I just wrote is now incorrect and that bass wood is available to you fine modelers across the pond. It was some years ago, that I was told “no bass wood” from a British modeler.)

(See Photos #5 and #6) I replaced the kit head with a resin one, and using Aves Apoxy Sculpt two part putty, added long hair, a new collar to the tunic, raised putty where the arms joined the shoulders and new cuffs for the hands to fit into. (Aves Apoxy Sculpt is the best putty I’ve used. And Aves Studio is in the State of Wisconsin, USA)

Photos #7 and #8 show work on the scratch built sword hilt and scabbard plus the use of more strips of lead foil to make the shoulder belt (including a brass buckle) and the straps holding the sword scabbard in place. The figure was being held in a small portable table vise.

Photos #9 through #12 show the completed model. At that point in time my flesh tones and facial work was poor. I work, when there is time available to improve that particular aspect of figure modeling. Lastly, Photo #13 shows the name plate I created on my Macintosh computer in Adobe Illustrator. Of course, it was attached to the front of the Hexigonal sided wooden base.

I should have mention here, earlier, that the rest of the photographs are in my next thread called Musketeer Continued. I posted that part immediately, but it still ended up with two other threads in between this thread and my other one. Sorry.

Attached Files:

2. Graham PlanetFigure Supporter

England
    Nice modelling ang very informative write up KK. I can assure you that Bass wood is available in the UK, I have a pack of various sections and sheets from the UK Hobbycraft store. They are sold next to the balsa packs. It is a nice fine grained wood and, as you say, quite strong but easy to cut with a fretsaw.
    kansas kid likes this.
  3. Babelfish A Fixture

United-Kingdom
    I can only see 3 photos.

- Steve
  4. kansas kid Well-Known Member

United-States
    Hello Graham and Steve:
    First of all, thank you Graham for your kind words. And
    I am so glad to hear that your fine ladies and gents in the
    UK do have Bass Wood available. I really do like to work with
    it.
    Now Steve: I'm old and not computer savvy it seems. Here
    in my neighborhood we have no eight your old kids who could
    could come in and show me how to do all the 'pooter and internet
    stuff. I started the first thread. Pasted in the text, and then started
    to upload the photos. After gettting three on the page, the page
    just disappeared, mate. I didn't touch the create a thread button
    or nuttin'. . . . But that is my luck, it seems. Sorry for the cornfusion.
    I still do not know how to put in a quote from another post in my
    threads. Any suggestions?
    Babelfish likes this.
  5. arj A Fixture

United-Kingdom
    Babelfish likes this.
  6. kansas kid Well-Known Member

United-States
    Hi Andrew, and thanks for the help. Also
    I appreciate the kind words.

Rick Brownlee
  7. Huw63 A Fixture

Switzerland
    It really is a nice piece of work.

Cheers

Huw
  8. kansas kid Well-Known Member

United-States
    Greetings Huw:
    Why thank youm Sir,

K Kid
  9. ChaosCossack A Fixture

Canada
    Nice bit of conversion work KK. A few small details and slight pose shift makes all the difference in the world.

Great job

Colin
  10. kansas kid Well-Known Member

United-States
    Good morning, Colin:
    And thank you for the encouraging words. I do
    so appreciate it. And I believe you're right, Sir. . . .
    The Devil is in the DETAILS. . . . :)

Kind Regards, Rick