1. Copying kits is a crime that hurts original artists & producers. Help support your favorite artists by buying their original works. PlanetFigure will not tolerate any activities related to recasting, and will report recasters to authorities. Thank you for your support!

WIP Critique 1/16 The officer & his doberman

Discussion in 'Sculpting' started by kaz6120, Jul 15, 2013.

1. kaz6120 A Fixture

Japan
    Hi friends,

Here's my latest try on sculpting. Since I started sculpting I noticed how much didn't know about sculpting. I have a LOT to learn and I don't know I'm ready for sculpting but .... "only way to find out is to try. (by Sheep Paine). :happy:

Doberman 90% done
    IMG_9962.jpg IMG_9964.jpg IMG_9969.jpg

Head
    IMG_9772.jpg IMG_9768.jpg

Full body 90% done.
    IMG_9935.jpg IMG_0024.jpg IMG_0115.jpg

the officer with his dog
    IMG_0119.jpg IMG_0120.jpg

any comments and critiques are welcomed as always.

Attached Files:

2. Maki Active Member

Croatia
    Oh boy... The figure looks very nice and I think it is anatomically correct. The posture looks good.

I always thought sculpting animals is way harder than sculpting human form, but you did an excellent job overall. The only thing that seems a bit off is the nose which I think is too large for the dog. Other than that, you are doing a great job.

Will you be commercializing your sculpts?

Mario
    Mike Stevens and kaz6120 like this.
  3. Martin64 A Fixture

Germany
    Kaz,
    anatomy, facial expression, folds, details ..... yes, you are not ready:woot: (lol) - this is seriously a proof of outstanding abilities as a sculptor and I am looking forward what will be acchieved when you will regard yourself as ready... Consider to release your work commercially please!
    All the best!
    Martin
  4. Gra30 PlanetFigure Supporter

Very nice sculpting and looks very nice.
    All I would say is try to be cleaner with the surface. You do a great sculpt with lovely and correct fine detail, a small piece of wandering magi sculpt or a scratch is very noticeable at this scale and is the only area I would say to watch for.
    Very nice my friend
  5. JasonB Moderator

United-States
    I think the ears might be a bit too long on the dog. Having sculpted one myself (with less inspiring results) I know personally how hard the anatomy on one of those can be, and you got it pretty well.
    Its nice work. Personally I don't care for the pose of the guy (a bit too...Hollywood? Hero? Posing? something...) for me. Still, fine work.
    Mike Stevens likes this.
  6. kaz6120 A Fixture

Japan
    Thanks a lot for your comments, guys!

I will reconsider and refine the nose and ears, thanks for your critiques.

Thank you for asking me commercializing my work, Mario and Martin. Reason why I think I'm not ready for that yet is because I don't have a skill & know-hows to sculpt the equipments (binoculars, guns, gas mask canister, etc) yet.

talking about the ears of the dog and the pose of the figure, I was inspired by these pics.
    1277996837_81575483_1-Pictures-of--Champion-bloodline-Doberman-pups-heavy-bones-1277996837.jpg tumblr_mgns7wRwaC1qa38yao1_500.jpg
    renarts likes this.
  7. JasonB Moderator

United-States
    After seeing the pics you posted, your dog looks right on. The ears on that Doberman are wicked long. As far as the pose, I think its the leg that makes me think of the "conquering hero" look, not so much the way he is holding the MP-40. Just a personal thing, though, again, excellent work.
    Cheers
    Jason
    kaz6120 likes this.
  8. Ferris A Fixture

Holy cow Kaz, you say you may have a lot to learn, but you sure have the talent and feel for sculpting!
    That is one mean looking nazi! A bit too teutonic for me, but as a sculpt it is really convincing! The dog is amazing.

Cheers,
    Adrian
    kaz6120 likes this.
  9. Lew J Active Member

United-Kingdom
    I think he looks pretty good, he does have the feel of someone posing for a portrait though. But that said I'd like to paint something different like this everything else is getting a little cookie cutter.

Lew J.
    kaz6120 likes this.
  10. CAT of BORDO Member

France
    Hey kaz ,
    Very Very Original !!! Wonderful dynamic ! You will in real pleasure when the paintin's session 'll begin ...
    Une Pièce qui va faire parler d'elle (to you the traduction , Herr Tomori , ah ah ah !!!!
  11. bonehead A Fixture

United-States
    Nice work Kaz! This is an auspicious start for a "beginner". Surely you will become a great sculptor with time and experience.
    Keep up the good work!
    Mike Stevens, pmfs and kaz6120 like this.
  12. Vaux Well-Known Member

Spain
    I want a copy!!:love:

A job that I love and I'll be crying for a long time ....:sorry:
    kaz6120 likes this.
  13. Sturm Grenadier Well-Known Member

United-States
    I really like this one Kaz. You are improving with each subject. I don't think it will be long before everyone wants to get there hands on a Kaz original. The figure and dog look great, and go well together. I wish you the best of luck with your sculpting in the future. Keep us posted with your very promising work. Regards, SG:happy:
    kaz6120 likes this.
  14. billyturnip A Fixture

England
    Very good start Kaz. My only comment would be it might be worth checking if WWII era German Dobermans had cropped, therefore erect ears like in your photo, or natural ears. Some people count rivets on tanks or uniform buttons, my thing is dog ears.... sorry. :playful:

Roger
    Richie and kaz6120 like this.
  15. JasonB Moderator

United-States
    I did a google search to find a German soldier with a Doberman to check the ears, and didn't find any. Plenty with German Shepards, but no Dobermans. I know the USMC Dobermans had cropped ears.
    kaz6120 likes this.
  16. megroot A Fixture

Netherlands
    Very nice work on the German Kaz.
    I don't think that Germans and Dobermans went togethere. With Shepards, yes, but dobermans???
    About the ears. I really don't know if at that time it whas common that the ears where cropped.

Marc
    kaz6120 likes this.
  17. Alexander Zelenkov A Fixture

Russian-Federation
    kaz6120 likes this.
  18. kaz6120 A Fixture

Japan
    Jason B, Adrian, Lew J, CAT OF BORDO, Mike, Vaux, SG, Roger, Marc, and Alex, thanks a lot for your comments and critiques! Any comments on pros and cons are always welcomed.

I'm posing him for a portrait. LOL Yes you maybe right. Thanks Jason, Ferris, and Lew J, for your straightforward comments. I like that.

Thank you very much Mike, I'm really glad to receive such a great, encouraging comment from the experienced world top sculptor I admire like you.
    (BTW, recently I bought some old "Scale Aviation" magazines to get your articles. :))

Thanks Roger, I'll check it out.

Yes Jason B and Marc, you are right. I can't find any pics of German with Doberman in WW2 era. I just read the article that German Army started using Doberman as war dog since WW1 and they trained many dobermans. Since Dobermans are german dogs, it should be typical military dogs so I thought it has chances german soldier use them even if Shepards were popular. but that's just my imagination.

To tell the truth, I just wanted to sculpt Doberman, not Shepherd, which I think it beautiful style and has "Very German Look", which is very typical image of "German officer and dog", like you know the famous piece from Pegaso one sculpted by Andrea Jula.

a sample pics I used:
    http://www.mbltd.info/3557.htm

I still wondering where did these WW1 Dobermans go during WW2 era?
    dogs-of-honor-world-war-ii-dogs-shown-in-gas--L-CSjyPO.jpg

I will sculpt Shepherd as well, if using Doberman is histrorically incorrect.
    and...I want to sculpt "USMC with Dobermans" too. :)
  19. Dan Morton A Fixture

United-States
    Excellent! Great job on both subjects!

All the best,
    Dan
  20. Waterman Active Member

Who is to say that a German Officer never owned a Doberman? When I was a young Royal Marine, many years ago, the Adjutant at Eastney Barracks had a large black labrador named Bismarck . He was not official of course, but he accompanied the Dreaded Adg everywhere. We called it the Adjutants Big Black Bastard.