1. Copying kits is a crime that hurts original artists & producers. Help support your favorite artists by buying their original works. PlanetFigure will not tolerate any activities related to recasting, and will report recasters to authorities. Thank you for your support!

Completed 1/16 Panzer Lehr Field Officer

Discussion in 'vBench (Works in Progress)' started by Peter Day, May 27, 2021.

1. Peter Day PlanetFigure Supporter

United-Kingdom
    1d484ec81fc4d4dd58f7c31ab546c553.jpg

After another batch of failures recently, I decided it was time for some Tamiya therapy, something that is always guaranteed to restore the mojo. I got hold of the Tank Commander kit, which I have made before as both kit variants, and this time I decided to paint a Panzer Lehr field commander, similar to the chap in the photo above.

101_0266.JPG

I made a start on it a few days ago, but given my recent record, i did not want to post anything until I felt that it was secure. Here is where he's at:

101_0279.JPG 101_0280.JPG 101_0281.JPG 101_0282.JPG

The only alterations to the uniform are new shoulder boards and adapted collar patches. Yhe head is by Reedees.

His equipment is ready for painting:

101_0267.JPG

A mix of Tamiya and Dragon items.
  2. Chris Oldfield A Fixture

England
    Great work so far, Peter - do you ever sit still?
    I've always liked seeing the uniforms of the Panzer Lehr Division in Normandy, they must have been unique in having their Panzergrenadier regiments wear the special clothing for crews of armoured vehicles.
    Jed likes this.
  3. 1969 A Fixture

United-Kingdom
    Interesting version for this figure Peter, liking it very much.
    Steve
  4. Peter Day PlanetFigure Supporter

United-Kingdom
    Chris - I do find it very hard to sit still, I must admit. I wonder what the motivation for the uniform was - excess stock and/or the desire to create an elite look?

Steve - Thanks for looking in, and for the excellent head.
    Chris Oldfield likes this.
  5. Chris Oldfield A Fixture

England
    Peter - I think it probably was the desire to create an elite look, & thereby motivate the troops to perform well.
    Jed likes this.
  6. Stephen Hutchinson PlanetFigure Supporter

Morning Peter

Tamiya therapy has certainly worked, another super figure, well done.

And Reedee's to the rescue, again with a characterful head, well painted as ever.

I guess you will be back in your usual spot soon?

How are the builders progressing?

Shock Horror, the Bank Holiday is going to be....Sunny!

That means my previously waterlogged lawn will need a trim!

Hopefully you will have a good Bank Holiday and avoid the worst of the gardening to get the Lehr finished

Have fun and a great Bank Holiday

Regards

Steve H
  7. misfit151 A Fixture

Excellent start on this unusual version Peter.......more please. (y). Mike

"Life begins the day you start a garden"
  8. Peter Day PlanetFigure Supporter

United-Kingdom
    Chris - Yes, I agree. The uniform looks quite practical as well.

Steve - Good old Tamiya! The work on the kitchen is complete, so I can settle back into my old work space. The light in the spare room was terrible and I really struggled to see what I was doing - I had to spend a couple of hours making corrections to the figure where the light had thrown false shadows. Should get this finished today. Spending Bank Holiday Monday getting my second AZ jab in Folkestone, but at least that presents the opportunity for fish and chips by the sea. Enjoy the weekend.
    Scotty and Chris Oldfield like this.
  9. Peter Day PlanetFigure Supporter

United-Kingdom
    Mike - Thanks. More coming up .....
  10. Henk A Fixture

United-Kingdom

Looking good Peter. What colour did you use for the uniform?

As for the uniform, it looks like a Feldgrau Assault Artillery jacket, which was identical to the black Panzer Jacke as worn by the tank crews. The Panzer Lehr Division was an elite Division, and unlike almost all other (Panzer) divisions (even SS) was fully equipped as such, including being fully mechanised, and well provided with uniforms and equipment. The Armoured Assault Artillery (StuG IV mainly) would have worn these uniforms.
    As an aside, it is possible (but hard to determine from this photo) that he is part of the Armoured Reconnaissance Bat, which were equipped with Puma's, and which wore a Reed Green uniform of similar cut to the Panzer Waffe, but which had a single, large pocket on the front of the jacket.
    Here ended the sermon... lol
  11. Peter Day PlanetFigure Supporter

United-Kingdom
    Henk - Hi. I used Vallejo Dark Camo Olive, considerably lightened fro the uniform. I wanted a slightly greener look, which is pure artistic license I'm afraid.

Many thanks for the info on the uniform. I may also try to find an MP44 to replace the MP40 so that he's completely up to date.
  12. Fredericus Active Member

I really like the cleanliness of your painting. Bravissimo!
    Federico
  13. Henk A Fixture

United-Kingdom
    Your choice of colour is a good one, the colour of German Uniforms is so varied, and what is called 'Feldgrau' is in reality a large range of colours from grey to green. It suits it
    I really like how you paint these Tamiya and Verlinden figures, your style really pops these somewhat bland sculpts.
  14. Nap Moderator

England
    Hi Peter

Nice to see you getting it back with this figure , amazing the variation your achieving with the figure

Looking good where you are now especially the highs

Looking forward to seeing more

Happy benchtime

Nap
  15. TERRYSOMME1916 A Fixture

United-Kingdom
    Peter we all know about starting figures and ditching them to the side when they are not working out so not apologies needed on that front, its nice to see your work even if you don't make it to completion and believe it or not there's a mine of information in your posts regarding heads, equipment etc and of course painting so crack on my good man this ones looking good.
    TERRY
  16. Warren SMITH A Fixture

Australia
    Love your work Peter, looks nothing like the box art.. yet no huge changes... Very well done..
  17. Peter Day PlanetFigure Supporter

United-Kingdom
    Federico - Many thanks.

Henk - Time for that picture again:

d22535e4a87864746a9b02b54fecd614.jpg

Nap - Cheers. Always a good practice figure.

Terry - Thanks. Just gets a bit boring for me and you if I constantly end threads with a failure.

Warren - I don't think you can get this figure much like the box art if you tried - the head is awful for a start. Glad you like how he's coming along.
    Chris Oldfield likes this.
  18. Peter Day PlanetFigure Supporter

United-Kingdom
    I'm calling this one done:

101_0287.JPG 101_0288.JPG 101_0289.JPG 101_0290.JPG
  19. Henk A Fixture

United-Kingdom
    I like it Peter. Nice to see a different version of it, and the ammo pouch hanging of his belt rather than the webbing is a nice touch.
    The leather looks good too.
  20. Martin Antonenko A Fixture

Germany
    [IMG]

[IMG]

[IMG]

[IMG]

[IMG]
    [IMG]

So I would thing: a bit more greenish...

Cheers