1. Copying kits is a crime that hurts original artists & producers. Help support your favorite artists by buying their original works. PlanetFigure will not tolerate any activities related to recasting, and will report recasters to authorities. Thank you for your support!

Completed 1/16 Germans In Europe "Countryside Assault"

Discussion in 'vBench (Works in Progress)' started by Dr Force, Jul 1, 2011.

1. housecarl Moderator

United-Kingdom
  2. Dr Force A Fixture

United-Kingdom
    Hey Carl that is just the ticket and soooo cheap too!! many thanks mate I'll get some.
  3. Babelfish A Fixture

United-Kingdom
    Dave that's absolutely superb in every way. Top-notch figure and I love the groundwork.

Hope you can bring it to FW as I'd love to see it up close & personal.

- Steve
  4. housecarl Moderator

United-Kingdom
    I'll bring you some to FW Dave. I'll never use all mine, if I live to a 150.
    Carl.
  5. Dr Force A Fixture

United-Kingdom
    Hi Steve

Thank you for your kind comments.

I will definately contemplate bringing this over to FW but I hate the though of transporting and the risk of damage so I'll definately have a think about it.

Carl
    That is very kind mate. To make it easier can we sort the S&T figure out at fw mate?

Thanks
    Dave
  6. smudger1960 PlanetFigure Supporter

United-Kingdom
    Thats a great result david,as you said the figure itself looks top notch,the scenery is great as well,well done on the barbed wire it looks very realistic,did you take the photo outside?,it adds to the overall realism,i really like it mate,thanks for posting (y)

Brian :)
  7. housecarl Moderator

United-Kingdom
    See you there then Dave.
    Carl.
  8. Dr Force A Fixture

United-Kingdom
    Hi Brian

Thank you for dropping in and for your words of encouragement.

Yes the photo's were all done outside in my back garden. I have quite a large garden with lots of mature japanese maples which give various amounts of reds and greens so it kind of helped with the overall illusion.

Natural daylight always enhances a figure/scene IMO, especially if you can give the impression of the sun shining through.

Barbed wire was painstaking lol!!

Cheers
    Dave
  9. Edorta A Fixture

Spain
  10. 1969 A Fixture

United-Kingdom
    Your hard work has payed of yet again Dave, you have done a great job on both figure and groundwork for this one and I like the dynamics of the piece.

Steve
  11. Jazz A Fixture

England
    A very realistic looking German, David. Like a scene from "The world at war".
  12. Dr Force A Fixture

United-Kingdom
    Hi Steve & John

Thanks for your kind comments.

I do try to spend time capturing movement and drama and I like the feeling of this guy hurrying through the woods. It is possibly something you could quite easily see in one of the World At War programmes.

Steve
    It's hard work but definately a labour of love. I am just putting together my final plans for the next project which is the biggest undertaking to date (it will be sat on a 600 x 500mm board) should take around 12 months and one I will work to present in a competition of sorts next year.

I will get the photo's together and post on VBench in due course.

Thanks for your support
    Dave
  13. Richie A Fixture

United-Kingdom
    Hi Dave mate,
    What can one add to a list of deserved compliments, the fluency, dynamics and ergonomics of the whole piece are truly inspirational, a master fit of figure to groundwork. No stone unturned if you pardon the pun.
    I have certainly been looking in the garden, after taking inspiration from first seeing your creation for a future project of mine.
    Very well done, can’t wait to follow your next outing. Is it with the tank riders?
    Cheers
    Richie
  14. Dr Force A Fixture

United-Kingdom
    Hi Richie

Thank you so much for your comments I very much appreciate you taking the time to comment and help (along with everyone else) to inspir me to much greater heights.

It's kind of funny but there are items in modelling where one has strengths and weaknesses.I struggle with the confidence to add more tones to the skin and end up relying on critique to push me along. With groundwork it kind of just comes naturally but you must always take some time to study landscape and the behaviours of nature to draw the viewer in to a scene.

Everything you need, nature provides, this is not only money saving but it is also great fun looking for items as you walk through the countryside. A great example of this was my recent visit to Dorset and I noticed some dried up seaweed which looks so realistic as scaled dried or long grass.I also picked up some very small pieces of dry wood which had some perculiar knots and great colour for a very old wood effect. Finally I have been around my village and collected the spongy moss that looks like lichen which grows on trees and can be easily scraped off and used forready made moss on old roof tops,trees, stone etc.

If you ever need any help please just ask and I will try to help.

Just make sure you put all your attention in to the groundwork until it's almost completed before embarking on your chosen figure otherwise there is a risk of it going in the tomorrow box.

The last nit of advice is to post on VBench because you get a neutral view with members helping to point you in the right direction, there is nowayI would have acheived this result without some honest guidance.

Thanks
    Dave
  15. Steve Ski PlanetFigure Supporter

United-States
    I'm gonna throw my three cents in here and say I really like your results. Very realistic approach and I really like the base and of course your figure work is very impressive. He looks very real.

Taking those pics on an overcast day really sets the mood and actually brings out all the detail on the figure, and base. The MG swinging from the strap really came across very realistically too. I would say you can chalk this one up as a stunning success, one I keep going back and looking at. If you got me going back looking at it over and over again, I'm looking to see what I can learn from you, so Bravo Dave, Bravo!!! Keep em coming, love your work.

Cheers, Ski.
  16. Dr Force A Fixture

United-Kingdom
    Thank you so much Steve and I am glad you like it.

This is the great thing about this site, everyone is willing to share and help when it's needed.

Looking forward to seeing more of your work too matey.

Dave
  17. Carlos69 Well-Known Member

England
    Looks nice Dave ! I love Jeff Shiu's work and this is on my most wanted list,I have a few of his sculpts to start.

Carl
  18. gothicgeek A Fixture

United-Kingdom
    Very very nice Dave!

Worth the effort...

:)

Mark
  19. Dr Force A Fixture

United-Kingdom
    Thanks Guys

Carl, I am of the opinion that Jeff is one of the best in the business at this scale, the casting is also wonderful so you will have great fun painting them.

Mark, it was alot of effort but the best results are always acheived by being patient and it took longer than I thought. It is probably down to it evolving over the build.

Thanks
    Dave
  20. rheath Active Member

South-Africa
    Nice one Dave and a different setting, here. Bravo.:cool: