1. Copying kits is a crime that hurts original artists & producers. Help support your favorite artists by buying their original works. PlanetFigure will not tolerate any activities related to recasting, and will report recasters to authorities. Thank you for your support!

WIP 1/16 Germans in Europe "Countryside Assault"

Discussion in 'vBench (Works in Progress)' started by Dr Force, Mar 30, 2011.

1. JasonB Moderator

United-States
    Yep, agree with Ken on the leg length, the boots look like they should come up higher than that. The other thing to watch out for is getting too rounded at the joints, or getting rubber band man joints as I call them. Since you are doing the flesh at this point, the joints could be a bit sharper, letting the clothing layer soften them when its applied.If they start rounded off, they just tend to get more that way as you go. Ask me how I know!!!:eek:
  2. Dr Force A Fixture

United-Kingdom
    Hi Guys

Good spot on the legs, I have trimmed them back and it looks much better.

As for the joints Jay, I'll amend with a scalpel once it's rock solid, although I'm pretty confident the clothing will not appear to be part of the joint (if you know what I mean)

Will post further pics once I have added flesh to the neck and shoulders later tonight.

Thanks
    Dave
  3. unknown01 New Member

Japan
    Excellent start David.
    I'd like to follow.

Mitsutaka.
    Dr Force likes this.
  4. Dr Force A Fixture

United-Kingdom
    Ok

shortened the legs, sharpened the joints,added the neck into the shoulders and had a bit of a tidy.

Once this is completely dry I will scrape away some of the excess sculp to allow a nice layer of clothing, rather than making it look too bulky with oversized flesh:-

Attached Files:

5. Dr Force A Fixture

United-Kingdom
    I have built and primed figure one giving covering fire and also managed to sculpt one leg of the jumping figure.

Figure 1 is an old Tamiya kit with the odd bit of dodgy moulding which I have corrected and thickend out with magic sculpt.

The pictures give a good idea of composition and in consideration of my first ever attempt of scratch building a figure, I think it's not going toooo bad so far:-

Attached Files:

Steve and unknown01 like this.
  6. Harry New Member

Netherlands
    Nice going so far on the scratch-building.

I wonder, though, if they're not a bit too close to each other to be doing what they're meant to be doing. I'd really not like to vault a wall like that with a mate cabbying away with an SMG just a few inches away from me. Being in front of someone's muzzle is never a happy place to be. A slip, a stumble or an awkward landing and he's shot me by mistake.
  7. Dr Force A Fixture

United-Kingdom
    Lol

It's been put together to show you what the other guy will be doing, once the wall is built he will be further along than the poor chap who is making his way over so it wll look far more realstic.

Thanks for your input though and please feel free to add any comments to help improve.

Dave
  8. sam b Well-Known Member

United-Kingdom
    Looking good mate ! I'm still following
    Sam
  9. Dr Force A Fixture

United-Kingdom
    Hi Sam

Thanks for following.

I am actually just adjusting the parts of the legs as it just does not look quite right "in the flesh" so back to more sculpting :-/
  10. Dr Force A Fixture

United-Kingdom
    Hi All

Ok update time after the weekend efforts.

I have been constantly going backwards and forwards making minor adjustments to make sure it looks as natural as possible, whilst trying to capture a sense of movement.

The bottom part of the jacket now needs some minor creases and also the pockets need sculpting. I have added the ammo cases now as the position of the body is leaning slightly forward and to the side so I wanted to make sure the clothing overlaps them slightly to give an impression of "crushing"

He will have a K98 strapped to his back to help with the feeling of movement and it's on to the top half of the jacket next!!

I'm completely new to scratch sculpting and wondered if any other sculpters go back and forth changing previous work???

Anyway some pics:-

Attached Files:

pinsel and gordy like this.
  11. gordy Well-Known Member

United-States
    Looking really good David (y)
  12. pinsel Active Member

Germany
    hello
    i think you should overthink two weapons on an man.of course he might have retireved one from an fallen comrade.
    neverless he has no ammo for it and noone in field would care for an weapon for which he has no sufficient ammo supply with him.
    its often an thing that figures tend to be hanged with weapons.but the real man must carry those and the ammo for them in field....
    i would leave the mp40 off.maybe an hndgreaqnde in hand would do the trick as well.in this combination the mp looks slighty overdone.
    no one jumps in battle with an empty gun in hand or only an ammo supply of 28 rounds in the mag,and having his main weapon tucked on the back.so one would meet the enemy with out an gun ready to hand...
    and it seems an battle situation when one looks to the second one firing.
    but its only an oppinion
    cheers
  13. pinsel Active Member

Germany
    i think you will paint then as ss.what hind of jackett will the jumper get?because the other wears pea dot pattern tunic i think it would off of the other i clad complety in field gray tunic.maybe an camou smoke might do the trick.because the combination of one cald in camou and the other complety in field gray unifrom is maybe to brisk.normaly the units wore similyr uniforms.because most where issued at the same datre.there are of course variations.
    i think its always hard to combine an scratch made figure with an stock.because you do well you might alter the stock as well.the rolled up sleeves and the long of the jumping would be controversy again...mabe you could sculpt the firing stock with long sleeves.so it would loose the summer look anyway i have never seen the stiff dot pattern rolled up so high on pics anyway.that was always an aspect which did disturb be at the tamiya figure.
  14. Dr Force A Fixture

United-Kingdom
    Hi and thanks for the comments/input.

With a bit of creativity I do not think there is any need to have too much concern over matching tunics.

Firstly both can be done in standard field grey, the Tamiya indicates SS pea dot cammo, you are quite right bit that is simply a different pattern over the same field grey tunic, so it can still be painted in such a way.

As for the weapons well I suppose it's all about perception, imagination and creative thinking. I say this as who knows what is happening in and around those soldiers. The model itself is only a small part of a much bigger situation and there are many different scenarios that mean the jumper is crrying the MP40 without the ammo belts. Maybe he is jumping over the wall to hand the weapon to another soldier below or he has picked it up from a fallen comrade behind the wall...............it's always open to debate and suggestions, but this is why it makes it all the more interesting.

The tunics provided as a cammo pattern to the SS were standard fair (drillichbluse Summer tunic, the first tunic for both combat and duty introduced in 1942) So IMHO easy to convert.

I rather like how this has been painted as an example and in the excellent 1:35 Stalingrad figures you can see how the sleeves could be rolled up:-

Attached Files:

• 7.jpg
      7.jpg
      File size:
      39.7 KB
      Views:
    • 3534-1.jpg
      3534-1.jpg
      File size:
      72.6 KB
      Views:
  15. Dr Force A Fixture

United-Kingdom
    Hi All

Finished my first ever sculpt, it's far from perfect but I am pleased considering my experience and I should only improve from here!! I just need to tidy up a few bits add the thumb to the hand holding the MP40 along with strap and gas cannister for the back.

I have slightly adjusted the position as I have decided to have a fairly steep slope below the wall (to give the impression of climbing down) so it is a tad more realistic given the soldier possibly firing above.

On to the groundwork next!

Attached Files:

Lew J, winston, gordy and 2 others like this.
  16. gordy Well-Known Member

United-States
    Looking great David (y)
  17. Dr Force A Fixture

United-Kingdom
    Hi Gordy

Thanks for your comments.

I really enjoy the sculpting as you can have all manner of poses at your disposal so the possible scenes are almost endless.

The next challenge is the dry stone wall and the rest of the groundwork.

Cheers
    Dave
  18. gordy Well-Known Member

United-States
    It certainly is, the freedom is addicting! :D
  19. Dr Force A Fixture

United-Kingdom
    You are spot on Gordy............I'm already planning project no3 :)!!!!!!!!!!
    gordy likes this.
  20. gordy Well-Known Member

United-States