1. Copying kits is a crime that hurts original artists & producers. Help support your favorite artists by buying their original works. PlanetFigure will not tolerate any activities related to recasting, and will report recasters to authorities. Thank you for your support!

1/10th vive lempereur, col-burthe 4th hussars

Discussion in 'vBench (Works in Progress)' started by Steve Brodie, Jan 7, 2021.

1. Steve Brodie PlanetFigure Supporter

United-Kingdom
    Hi, bit is built into the mouth, you can see it if you look closely. Will try and get a photo of it.

Thanks very much Ken.
  2. Airkid A Fixture

England
    This is starting to look extremely good Steve. I'd have bottled it on anything this size long before now.

Phil
    Steve Brodie likes this.
  3. Steve Brodie PlanetFigure Supporter

United-Kingdom
    Many thanks, in the words of magnus Magnusson - "I've started so I will finish" - hopefully
    Nap and Airkid like this.
  4. Steve Brodie PlanetFigure Supporter

United-Kingdom
    Haven't had much time recently to crack on, but I have got the rear tassels added to the horse, needed to snip off the corner points on the straps for the tassels to line up, then needed to sand away the underside of each tassel so there wasn't a 2mm ridge between the moulded strap on the horse and the tassels to be added. Also painted the tail strap (?) and added to the horse, its not quite long enough to join the tail loop and the main strap, plus the tail end is just flat and butt joins onto the loop, so decided to fair this in with some Vallejo putty. At the other end the gap was filled with more putty. Its quite a hard piece of resin and when i tried to bend it to conform to the horse body it snapped at the buckle. I was ever so gentle, just rubbing between my fingers, but snap it did. Which as it turned out was a blessing as it now sat completely flush, oh but i did need to carve and file away some of the straps on both sides to make the channel for the strap wide enough for the channel.
    The putty needs sanding, touching up and then the tassels and their straps varnishing.

1(1).jpg 2(1).jpg 3(1).jpg

Head and tail just tacked on for a photo
    KenBoyle, Redcap, Perseas and 6 others like this.
  5. Nap Moderator

England
    Hi Steve

Tassels and strap are looking good in place ....every bit helps !

Even just with a tacked head and tail .....looking good ...the horse colour seems to come together more

Thanks for sharing updates

Hope to see more when possible

Happy benchtime

Stay safe

Nap
  6. Peter Day PlanetFigure Supporter

United-Kingdom
    Coming along very nicely Steve. Good, clean painting.
    Nap likes this.
  7. Steve Brodie PlanetFigure Supporter

United-Kingdom
    Cheers peter
  8. Graham A Fixture

England
    That horse is looking good Steve, hard to believe the work you put into getting it this good.
    Steve Brodie and Nap like this.
  9. Airkid A Fixture

England
    Looking very good Steve. Neat, clean paintwork - it's going to be one impressive piece when it's finished

Phil
    Steve Brodie likes this.
  10. Steve Brodie PlanetFigure Supporter

United-Kingdom
    Got the bedroll painted, maybe should be blue, but went with red to add some more colour, also meant i got to try out scale75 artist tube acrylics, they have a rich creamy consistency, excellent for wet blending and dry to a very flat finish;

Resizer_16125458082960.jpg Resizer_16125458082961.jpg Resizer_16125458082962.jpg

Whilst looking at some of the launch photos, I noticed that the straps on the figure looked remarkably like the straps i was using for the bit reins. Checked the item list and i was using the wrong ones, Good job i hadnt superglued them in place. These are for the bridal;

Resizer_16125458082963.jpg
    Martin64, KenBoyle, Perseas and 2 others like this.
  11. Moonraker Active Member

England
    Looking good Steve. You’ll soon need the scaffolding to hold him up!
    Steve Brodie and Nap like this.
  12. Nap Moderator

England
    Hi Steve

Like the idea of the red on the Porte manteau ( think that's it ? ) , will add colour like you say and with the lacework on the ends looks good

Good spot ref the straps as well

As Moonraker has said ...scaffolding or you must have a strong hand

Happy benchtime

Nap
  13. Steve Brodie PlanetFigure Supporter

United-Kingdom
    Funny thing is, the horse rests quite well on my thigh between painting, or i put him back on his stand and paint him on there.
    Need to drill out the base pieces to dry fit him, then get a plinth
    Once thats sorted i will attach the horse to the base and can then add bits to the horse in situ. Well thats the plan. Lol
    Nap and Moonraker like this.
  14. Nap Moderator

England
    Hi Steve

Now there's an image ...a horse on the knees !

Sounds like you have a plan which is more than I ever seem to have !

For a great base contact Peter Watson of Petes Bases ....he will do any size

Happy benchtime

Nap
    Steve Brodie likes this.
  15. Mookie Well-Known Member

Ive never painted a horse in my life and admire you guys that tackle them.Carry on Mr B doing a super job bud.
    Rich.
  16. Steve Brodie PlanetFigure Supporter

United-Kingdom
    Many thanks Rich.
    Mookie likes this.
  17. Steve Brodie PlanetFigure Supporter

United-Kingdom
    Not much done over the weekend, but glued the Porte manteau on, sits in place brilliantly. Decided to tack the colonels head, arms and shako on and pose on the horse;

20210208_182646.jpg 20210208_182646.jpg 20210208_182701.jpg
    malc, NeilW, Martin64 and 4 others like this.
  18. Graham A Fixture

England
    Very impressive, looks great with the rider in place.
    Nap and Steve Brodie like this.
  19. Moonraker Active Member

England
    Agree. The riders pose is excellent as well.
    Nap and Steve Brodie like this.
  20. Steve Brodie PlanetFigure Supporter

United-Kingdom
    Sawed off another piece of the stair rail (wickes) to make another handle. This time for the colonel himself. 3mm brass pin into the rear.

20210209_184542.jpg

Also got a 3mm brass pin into the horse and used some panzer putty on the horse to mark out the location for the pin to go into , well hopefully.

20210209_184604.jpg
    KenBoyle, Nap and Perseas like this.