1. Copying kits is a crime that hurts original artists & producers. Help support your favorite artists by buying their original works. PlanetFigure will not tolerate any activities related to recasting, and will report recasters to authorities. Thank you for your support!

WIP Critique 1/10th 1st ID Vietnam

Discussion in 'Sculpting' started by captfue, Jun 25, 2019.

1. captfue Active Member

United-States
    DSC00433.jpg DSC00445.jpg DSC00441.jpg
    Here are a few shots of a 1/10th figure I've been working on. The figure represents a US Army radio operator(RTO) sometime during the Vietnam war. The piece is totally made from discarded plastics such as: sprure, disposable razor handles, and plastic flatware. If I did this write here is a link to the how to. https://forum.ipmsusa3.org/topic/20356-110th-figure-start/ I'm not sure when I'll paint or even if I will paint it, but if I do I'll post the finished photos.
    elanlane13, Martin64, Grod and 4 others like this.
  2. Nap Forum Moderator

England
    That looks great ...a excellent theme as well , like the equiptment work and the weapon position

Do hope this makes it to your brushes ...if not it would look as good bronzed up

Thanks for sharing

Nap
  3. Tony Dawe PlanetFigure Supporter

Australia
    Looks great. Amazing technique
  4. 1969 A Fixture

United-Kingdom
    Hi Tony,

It's great to see some of your work again and very impressed with what you have achieved with the scrap sprue and plastic, it always amazes me what you can transform it into.
    I like the posing of this bust and nice work on the equipment and weapon, looks great.

All the best mate
    Steve
  5. captfue Active Member

United-States
    Thanks guys,
  6. NeilW Active Member

United-Kingdom
    Interesting technique and impressive results.

I recall using hot blades on plastics (a sort of crude Pyrogravure) when I was a kid and the fumes were sometimes overwhelming (often retired to bed with a headache).

You probably use lower temperatures, but plastics can give off toxic fumes... are you aware of any dangers with your method?

What (any) precautions do you take?
  7. captfue Active Member

United-States
    Yes, I have a fan that blows the fumes away from me. I've been doing this a long time an haven't had any ill effects. I'd always work in a well vented area. Good luck.
  8. NeilW Active Member

United-Kingdom
    Cheers... and good luck to you as well (y)

I followed your link to IPMS... very interesting but I do wonder why you don't just use putty etc (or is it a recycling thing)?
  9. captfue Active Member

United-States
    It's an I'm to cheep thing. Well not so much now, back in the days of ramen noodles and going to college on the GI bill it was the only way I could sculpt. It is a lot more forgiving than putty, If I mess a piece it can always be melted again.
  10. NeilW Active Member

United-Kingdom
    Me too, I only recently returned to the hobby after over 30 years away and am horrified at the price of things (especially Airfix kits which used to be pocket money prices and now cost a month's allowance).

But, I'm with you in that I prefer modelling to just painting and also will use whatever material comes to hand.

Neil