1. Copying kits is a crime that hurts original artists & producers. Help support your favorite artists by buying their original works. PlanetFigure will not tolerate any activities related to recasting, and will report recasters to authorities. Thank you for your support!

Completed 1/10 Gallipoli bust from Dolman Miniatures

Discussion in 'vBench (Works in Progress)' started by Panzer22, Mar 26, 2023.

1. Panzer22 Active Member

Netherlands
    hello all,
    Just started a new project GALLIPOLI from Dolman miniature ( he also looks like Mel Gibson )
    in fact it is Mel Gibson!I'm going to start with oil again first and then with acrylic , I already started
    this week to see how that works.
    greetings ,
    hans

IMG_8064.JPG IMG_8060.JPG IMG_8061.JPG IMG_8062.JPG IMG_8065.JPG
  2. MalcC A Fixture

England
    Nice start.

Malc
  3. Russ Active Member

United-States
    Great start! I'll be interested to see how acrylics over oils works for you. Oils typically take longer to not just dry, but cure, than acrylics, which can lead to cracking and - possibly - looong times to set. That's why I generally use oils over acrylics.

Good luck! :)
  4. Nap Moderator

England
  5. Panzer22 Active Member

Netherlands
    hi Nap,
    Sorry for the photo's I'add new ones .and thanks for the input!
    yes the mixes that is actually basic acrylic flesh color from AK-interactive .to start with,
    and then from the set flesh color sketches light and dark,if dry then oil from abteilung502( looks like advertising !;))
    then I'II see how it goes haven't fond a pattern in it yet ( basically I mess aroud !!o_O) I had heard of it Mike's book .I'm going to find out if it's also available here!
    (Netherlands)
    greeting
    Hans
    Mike - The Kiwi likes this.
  6. sd0324 PlanetFigure Supporter

I like seeing what paint people are using, not advertising, lol. Someone would have probably asked anyway. Thanks for sharing. Looking nice.

Steve
  7. Larsen E. Whipsnade Moderator

United-States
  8. Steve Brodie PlanetFigure Supporter

United-Kingdom
  9. Panzer22 Active Member

Netherlands
    thank you guys!
    Nap likes this.
  10. Steve Ski PlanetFigure Supporter

United-States
    Lookin like Mel, alright.
  11. Scotty A Fixture

Scotland
    Have you used this technique before? In portraits I was told never to use acrylics over oils. He's looking great though so if that's what you're doing, it works. :)
    Best wishes,
    Scotty.
  12. Panzer22 Active Member

Netherlands
    hello Scotty,
    yes on the stormtrooper bust ,this is on the completed page.
    but I don't use the oil and acrylic paint together but on top of each other when the oil is completely bone dry,
    then I go over it with matte varnish ( with a brush not a spray can!) and then the acrylic paint where it is needed!
    such as shade or a filter

greeting,
    hans
    Scotty likes this.
  13. Panzer22 Active Member

Netherlands
    hi all,
    here are some more pictures of ''Mel'' his jacket is a bit on the greenish side but still has to dry for another layer yellow/brown,
    and the feathers on the had are real! ( small country small Emu);)

20230331_162805_resized.jpg 20230331_162744_resized.jpg 20230331_162701_resized.jpg 20230331_153922[2].jpg
    MalcC, MCPWilk, Martin64 and 4 others like this.
  14. Steve Ski PlanetFigure Supporter

United-States
    Wow, this is working well. Having the base oils dried and protected makes perfect sense, understood. I was pondering doing the same thing to emulate Mike's technique, but I will attempt that on a bust as you are doing here.

Did you find Abteilung502 paint to be grainy? It appears not up to par for artist oils when doing flesh work, imho. I have no issue with using it when doing uniforms, etc, but not on a face. My go to oils are usually W&N.

Ruck On, looking good!
  15. Panzer22 Active Member

Netherlands
    Hello Steve,
    thank you for your comment! whether I find abteilung 502 grainy? I actually don't have much experience with other oil paints,this is my second project with oil.
    Abteilung502 actually works well, but I recently bought 3 tubes van Gogh (how Dutch!)for the uniforms but they have about 66 colors of oil paints(n)
    thats a little more than Abteilung502! who a will try after "Mel"is done
    greeting,
    Hans

20230401_154808.jpg
    Steve Ski likes this.
  16. Mike - The Kiwi A Fixture

New_Zealand
    Nice start Hans & like how you’ve handled his face to begin with.
    My book is now available internationally so hopefully easier for you to grab a copy.
    MikeTheKiwi
    Nap likes this.
  17. Panzer22 Active Member

Netherlands
    hi Mike,
    thanks for the comment,and it's true the book is available and I ordered it!
    will arrive next week!(y)
    Mike - The Kiwi likes this.
  18. Panzer22 Active Member

Netherlands
    Got it!

20230405_185900_resized.jpg 20230405_185930_resized.jpg
    Mike - The Kiwi and Nap like this.
  19. Nap Moderator

England
  20. Mike - The Kiwi A Fixture

New_Zealand
    Wow! That was quick Hans :)
    Thank you for your support.

What do you think mate?
    What’s most useful part for you?
    MikeTheKiwi

P.S. If you have Amazon or GoodReads account would value a Rating & maybe some words there please to help guide others.
    Nap likes this.