1. Copying kits is a crime that hurts original artists & producers. Help support your favorite artists by buying their original works. PlanetFigure will not tolerate any activities related to recasting, and will report recasters to authorities. Thank you for your support!

“U.S. Green Beret With Cocker Spaniel” Vietnam Sol Models

Discussion in 'Reviews , Video Reviews and Open Book' started by jacksparrow1979, Jan 28, 2009.

1. jacksparrow1979 New Member

United-Kingdom
    “U.S. Green Beret With Cocker Spaniel” Vietnam
    Sol Model Co.
    MM155
    200mm Resin Bust
    Sculpted by Unknown
    9 Resin Parts

Thought it would be nice to review a few older kits that people may be interested. This will (hopefully) be the first of many. This has been on my wants list for a while and I was lucky enough to get my hands on one. I chose this particular bust because it was such a nice relaxed pose which seems to be unusual amongst busts. Maybe he is happy to be home after a dangerous mission? The cocker spaniel is a really nice addition. Kind of like the soldiers “best friend”.
    This is an very old release by the now defunct Sol Models of Korea and is long out of production. You may be lucky enough to track down somewhere on the internet. Good luck in finding one!

This model bust came to me a strong cardboard box made from thick sturdy cardboard.
    All of the parts are sealed in thick plastic bags to also ensure against loss during shipping. The larger resin parts are also sealed in thick strong plastic bags.

[IMG]

When this bust arrived I was surprised at how heavy the box was. On opening I found that the reason it was so heavy was that the display base was included but was a huge chunk of solid resin. Maybe Sol Models included this when suitable display bases were hard to come by at the time. Who knows. I found this to be totally unnecessary and this most probably contributed to a small part being damaged as I shall explain later. Polystyrene packaging chips could have prevented this.

[IMG]

Having said that this bust come cast in a nice cream coloured resin. Casting is excellent. Mould lines are at a minimal and will require little clean up.

[IMG]

Here is a picture of the part that was damaged. Shouldn't be too hard to fix with a little bit of putty but could have been prevented.

[IMG]

Mould plugs are attached to most parts but will not be too hard to remove as they are kept very small. Parts dry fit nicely together and only small amounts of putty should be needed.

[IMG]

The head looks great. Plenty of character and life to it. Should be fun to paint. The Cocker Spaniel should also be great to paint. Lets hope I can do it justice.

Conclusion:

Nicely cast kit. Minimal clean up required. Good fitting parts. Recommended.

P.S. This is the reason I haven't had a chance to start on this yet. My daughter – Jasmine Lily-Rose. 7 months old now and hard work!

[IMG]

Please excuse the poor pictures. I'm getting used to a new camera.

Attached Files:

2. Panzer Active Member

United-States
    The special forces badge is on the base upside down!

The special forces badge is on the base upside down!
    Mrosko
  3. jacksparrow1979 New Member

United-Kingdom
    Yeah I noticed that as well! I won't be making that mistake when I build this.
  4. Demchenko A Fixture

Russian-Federation
    I can not say anything bout figure,but daughter is absolutely pretty!
    Kiss her from me.I have daughter too,bit "bit another scale",8 years old:)

Vladi
  5. jacksparrow1979 New Member

United-Kingdom
    Thanks Demchenko. Yeah she is my little princess. Must get her looks from her mother.