1. Copying kits is a crime that hurts original artists & producers. Help support your favorite artists by buying their original works. PlanetFigure will not tolerate any activities related to recasting, and will report recasters to authorities. Thank you for your support!

WIP Zulu

Discussion in 'vBench (Works in Progress)' started by kagemusha, Feb 8, 2015.

1. kagemusha A Fixture

United-Kingdom
    Most of us are very familiar with a certain chimp on here....his enthusiasm and drive never cease to amaze me...and his addiction to a certain period would seem to be 'infectious' :eek:
    Although a very unusual period for me...when I saw this piece...I was taken with the dynamics of it!
    It arrived the other day in very secure packaging and...once out of the box...I was glad I ordered it :)
    What better piece to try an airbrushed 'dark' skin tone :wideyed:
    Assembly was straightforward...with very little clean up. I have changed the overall 'lean' of the piece...simply because...as a stand alone figure...I felt it would be nice to see more of his face when viewed into his eyes.
    I have increased the area of the supplied base to suit the chosen plinth I have used...and to blend in the extra lean I added to the pose.
    Included with him are his shield and short stabbing spear...the latter I have just primed in black..so didn't bother with pics.
    20150208_135741.jpg 20150208_135807.jpg 20150208_135844.jpg 20150208_135853.jpg 20150208_135905.jpg 20150208_135915.jpg 20150208_135931.jpg 20150208_135940.jpg

Will let it dry over night...then start layering the skin tones with the airbrush.

Ron
    NickM, Grod, Jimbo and 2 others like this.
  2. Tubby-Nuts2 A Fixture

United-Kingdom
    Ron,
    I love it already. Great extension of the supplied base, and the dynamics are already clearly evident. However, this skin tone will be no easy task.:eek:... This piece, I will follow. But its already eye catching. (y)

High Regards,

Mark
  3. Richie A Fixture

United-Kingdom
    Hi Ron,
    I'm really looking forward to this, I can't wait for another air brush lesson and to see what you do with him. Roll on tomorrow:).
    cheers uSuthu!
    Richie
  4. Tubby-Nuts2 A Fixture

United-Kingdom
    Hmm!

Be careful Ron, ..as there maybe a rather sharp 'Pointy Stick', with a very 'Un-Sympathetic', character heading towards one's derrière. .. :whistle::inpain:

Mark
  5. megroot A Fixture

Netherlands
    looks good.

marc
  6. kagemusha A Fixture

United-Kingdom
    :LOL:...thanks for that Mark.....am happy with the extension to the base.....brings a bit more to the already good dynamics....feel it ties it all in as a stand alone piece :)
  7. kagemusha A Fixture

United-Kingdom
    Hi Richie....glad you like him so far....and many thanks for all the refs/info....will really help me achieve a good result :nailbiting: :D....although I will no doubt have more questions :rolleyes:
  8. kagemusha A Fixture

United-Kingdom
    Many thanks Marc....nice of you to comment (y)

Cheers

Ron
  9. Funky50 Guest

Looking forward to seeing what you do with this cracker Ron .....Love your style with the airbrush...Kevin
  10. kagemusha A Fixture

United-Kingdom
    Cheers for that Kevin (y).....will be my first dark skin tone with the airbrush....a real challenge :nailbiting:
  11. kagemusha A Fixture

United-Kingdom
    Decided to start with the shield....thought it would be an easy begining to the piece!
    Then I spoke to Richie....who promptly put me right on that idea.....never knew there were so many things to consider! :eek:
    Have to say I really enjoyed painting this part...a lot of nicely sculpted detail to bring out.
    All of the base colours are in....now I will wait for it to dry...and adjust if needed.

20150209_141931.jpg 20150209_141958.jpg

Shout if I got anything wrong Richie :nailbiting:
    Richie and billyturnip like this.
  12. Tubby-Nuts2 A Fixture

United-Kingdom
    Excellent call Ron! ..

I do get a bit fed up of the standard depiction of the 'Zulu', shield as always being, black & white. This is a very pleasant change.(y). The reverse skin tone is spot on! .. Thanks for the update.

Regards,

Mark
  13. Richie A Fixture

United-Kingdom
    Oh my lord yes I see something wrong!:(
  14. Richie A Fixture

United-Kingdom
    Hi Ron,
    Apologies forgot to finish my reply, needed to go and stuff some chicken breasts for tea.

Oh my lord yes I see something wrong!:( It makes my shields look second rate:ROFLMAO:, sorry mate could not resist. A cracking job, you have really brought out the detail and I like the pattern, tones and colours(y).

Go on say it your little chimp :censored::censored::censored::censored::censored::censored::censored:!

2012-05-31 17.27.50.jpg
    cheers
    Richie:D
  15. kagemusha A Fixture

United-Kingdom
    Cheers Mark....much appreciated.....but the credit for the colour scheme must go to a certain chimp :LOL:....a lot of fun to paint though (y)
  16. kagemusha A Fixture

United-Kingdom
    Hi Richie....so glad you are happy with the result mate :) ......and a bunch of bananas for all your help ;)...it was so easy with all the detail in the piece (y)