1. Copying kits is a crime that hurts original artists & producers. Help support your favorite artists by buying their original works. PlanetFigure will not tolerate any activities related to recasting, and will report recasters to authorities. Thank you for your support!

WIP Critique Zouave, 1870. 75mm from Ellie Miniatures

Discussion in 'vBench (Works in Progress)' started by ChaosCossack, Jul 30, 2014.

1. Ferris A Fixture

Looking good Colin, very sharp. And nice pictures!

Cheers
    Adrian
    ChaosCossack likes this.
  2. Eludia A Fixture

United-Kingdom
    Looking good Colin. I like the figure too, I've been looking for something to work on that will force me to practice my blues and reds (as they are shocking) and this could be just the ticket (y)

I'll use this thread as reference if you don't mind.

Cheers,
    Billy :)
    ChaosCossack likes this.
  3. ACCOUNT_DELETED A Fixture

Canada
    Looking really good Colin. For some reason I did not see the recent updates in this. You photos are also improving. I too shoot underexposed as my camera has a fast kens and tends to wash out colours.

Colin
    ChaosCossack likes this.
  4. ChaosCossack A Fixture

Canada
    Thanks Adrian, much appreciated.
    Thanks Billy, it's a really nice fig to work with... great drapery, especially on the pantaloons. Though I am a Nappy at heart, researching this and my last fig, I've become sold on the Franco-Prussian era. Great uniforms on both sides. More red and blue than you can shake a brush at. Check Ellie's site, they have this one and a few others.
    Thanks Colin, I've been lurking about with this one for a while. I think I have the camera set as good as she gets. I also tweaked the three light setup. It's a matter of replicating the light angles every time I set up... eek!!!

Cheers

Colin
  5. Paul Kernan A Fixture

Canada
    Keep 'em coming, Colin.
    ChaosCossack likes this.
  6. ChaosCossack A Fixture

Canada
    Will do, Paul.

Thanks

Colin
  7. maco61 A Fixture

Italy
    Excellent paintjob Colin.
    I like the red and blue.
    Good photos too.
    Ciao by Maco
    ChaosCossack likes this.
  8. ChaosCossack A Fixture

Canada
    Hey all

A little more progress... picking away at the bits and pieces. Blanket roll straps, jambieres and fez tassle are just based. Still to be done... finish those things mentioned, add the line from the fez to the tassle (twisted copper wire I think), gaiters and boots, and the rifle with hands. I won't do the boots until I get some putty on the base. At the end, there's always a few touch ups as well... I already see a couple of "oops's" :eek:
    To that end, this chunk of black oak, cut with a compound angle, polished and clear coated is the base. I haven't fully decided on the ground work but it's down to a short list as, other than Sedan, the Guard Zouave Regiment was only active in a few battles.
    DSC00316.jpg DSC00317.jpg DSC00318.jpg DSC00319.jpg DSC00320.jpg DSC00322.jpg DSC00323.jpg DSC00324.jpg

Anyway, thats the progress to date... I think if I could get a couple of good sessions, I could have him done this weekend. Thanks for looking in, and as always, any thoughts, hints or ideas are very welcome.

Cheers

Colin

Attached Files:

Aveleira, NickM, tiberius57 and 4 others like this.
  9. ACCOUNT_DELETED A Fixture

Canada
    Looks wonderful. Needs groundwork so he doesn't look to be sliding off polished base. Great wood by the way. Thank you ice storm!

Colin
    ChaosCossack likes this.
  10. ChaosCossack A Fixture

Canada
    Thank you Sir. The ice storm was very good to me indeed. I have almost 200 lbs of rough cut blocks ready to be cut to size, as well as a bunch of really thin slices that might be useful for laminating larger, diorama sized bases.

Colin the Woodchuck
    tiberius57 and crf like this.
  11. zane666 Well-Known Member

New_Zealand
    Well done Colin, light at the end of the tunnel. that is indeed a lovely piece of oak.I too noticed the lack of battles these guys were in and I was almost tempted to convert to a tirailleurs algerien when I get my figure.

regards Zane
    ChaosCossack likes this.
  12. tiberius57 A Fixture

Canada
    Awesome display Colin! Painting is excellent and the base looks very, very nice. The up slope attack is a perfect setting for this guy,
    Can't wait to see this guy done and the groundwork completed.
    The more I look to this guy the more I like this figure. The posture is so strong and the details excellent and you did a great job to bring them out.
    Cheers,
    Zeno :)
    ChaosCossack likes this.
  13. ellie A Fixture

United-Kingdom
    Hi Colin

he's looking very good mate love the base, now want to see what your going to do with it. your right these guys did not see much action but with a little bit of work he could be one of the other regiments that fought in the war or even go back in time to the Crimea storming a redoubt just a thought.

Cheers mate

ian
    ChaosCossack likes this.
  14. ChaosCossack A Fixture

Canada
    Thanx much Guys!
    The Guard Zouaves were part of the Imperial Guard Reserve. They took part in the battle of Razonville and of course were caught up in the encirclement at Sedan. I painted him as a Guard Zouave because I liked the yellow trim... if it was painted red with the "pocket" painted red, white or yellow, he could be from one of the three regular Zouave regiments who were active in almost every action.
    It would just take colour changes to make him a Turco. The rest of the equipment was the same.
    Could also be the Crimea as he's carrying a percussion type rifle. Old stock of these rifles were issued to troops in 1870 as troops were poured into the fire. I left it as is, because converting this to a Chassepot would be alot of work and I didn't want to ruin a beautiful figure... :unsure:

The groundwork will be a rural setting so it shouldn't be too much of a problem.

Colin
    tiberius57 and crf like this.
  15. ChaosCossack A Fixture

Canada
    At this point, other than dirtying him up a bit, I'm calling the main body of the figure done. All that's left now is the rifle with the hands attached.
    DSC00333.jpg DSC00334.jpg DSC00335.jpg DSC00337.jpg DSC00338.jpg

The base has been puttied and painted, ready for some vegatation. The base colour is Beige Brown topped with English Uniform and Japanese Uniform. Then washed with Sepia and Delvan Mud inks (Citadel inks).
    DSC00341.jpg

My schedule fell behind when a family BBQ went into the wee hours Saturday... it's near impossible to get family out of your house once they're in.

Cheers

Colin
    Aveleira, tiberius57 and crf like this.
  16. ACCOUNT_DELETED A Fixture

Canada
    Goes for some friends too....believe me. We found out this weekend. :-0

Colin
    ChaosCossack likes this.
  17. ChaosCossack A Fixture

Canada
    I was deeply considering smashing what was left of the beer around midnight... I figured remove the fuel and the fire goes out... so to speak. On the other hand, if I did that, I'd have had to sleep with one eye open. NEVER, EVER, piss off the person who shares your bed.
    crf likes this.
  18. Wings5797 A Fixture

France
    Great work Colin

Your brushwork is really moving on in leaps and bounds.........that face is amazing.

Looking forward to the final piece, not least because I have one in my stash that is waiting for me to get some inspiration.

All the very best,
    Keith
    ChaosCossack likes this.
  19. ChaosCossack A Fixture

Canada
    Thanx a bunch Keith. Hadn't heard from you in a while. I always appreciate your imput.

You have one of these? Get at it! It's a really nice figure to work on... Carl did an awesome job. Lots of detail, great pose, very dynamic and an amazing subject... I love this uniform, it has tons of character and a whole lotta swagger. I'm dying to see someone else's take on it.

Get it off the shelf and on the bench!

Colin
    Wings5797 and crf like this.
  20. Wings5797 A Fixture

France
    Hi Colin,
    I have been on less than active service in the UK for a month or more with no internet.
    My current project is an oil on canvas portrait, non millitary but interestingly only using red, yellow, blue, white and black. There is a French lad on pF who paints some fantastic pieces using only this pallet. I just had to give it a go.

When I say I have one of these I meant a Zouave not this excellent little fellow. Mine is the Pegaso shown with the white pants. The pose is boringly ordinary in comparison to Carl's work here on this chap.

Cheers,
    Keith
    ChaosCossack likes this.