1. Copying kits is a crime that hurts original artists & producers. Help support your favorite artists by buying their original works. PlanetFigure will not tolerate any activities related to recasting, and will report recasters to authorities. Thank you for your support!

WIP Zeus

Discussion in 'vBench (Works in Progress)' started by smudger1960, Sep 24, 2011.

1. smudger1960 PlanetFigure Supporter

United-Kingdom
    I thought i would have a change of scenery for my next project,while at euro recently i picked up an 80mm white metal figure of zeus produced by alexandros miniatures.
    The kit comes with just a scenic floor base in resin which i disscarded as i wanted to produce my own scene.
    The figure has zeus perhaps looking down from mount olympus with an eagle perched on his left forearm,the sculpting is very good with minimal clean up and filler required,the golden eagle is also very well sculpted.
    Due to the figure being produced in metal its a heavy piece so after clean up and assembly i added pieces of metal rod into the bottom of the figures feet to make the figure more secure when picking up the piece and moving it arround.
    For the scene i wanted to depict zeus in perhaps part of a temple with ancient stone pillars and i decided to add the pegaso roman coloum which although is listed as a 54mm scenic accessorie would suffice for what i had in mind,the only thing i changed was the resin coloum you get in the kit,i substitutted this for a length of balsa dowel to give it more height within the scene.
    Milliput was applied over the base area and left to dry for about an hour after which i added the lines to simulate the joins in the stone slabbed floor,once the milliput had fully hardened i chipped pieces away with a craft knife to simulate damage to the stone flagged floor.
    I carved away one corner of the wooden base which will depict a rock like effect with zeus looking down from mount olympus,i'm finding this quite an enjoyable little project and something different from what i'm used to doing,i have attached some photo's of my progress.

Brian (y)

Attached Files:

frank h, tonydawe, debrito and 20 others like this.
  2. Christosjager A Fixture

Greece
    Nice start Brian, looking very promissing!
  3. housecarl Moderator

United-Kingdom
    That base is just made for the job, love the groundwork.
    Carl.(y)
  4. Don Well-Known Member

Love what your doing Brian and so quickly. Hard to believe you only got this last week.
    Zeus fits nicely into the scene but may I ask a simple question. Who built the coloum o Mt Olympus? Was there perhaps a "Whimpey" the ancient god of Greek brickies up there?
    Looking very good though and I shall enjoy watching progress.

Don
  5. FigureLover A Fixture

Australia
    I loved this kit from the moment I saw it, and hope to have one soon. I think your base is going to set it of nicely and will be interested to see how you paint the kit.
    Ben
  6. Ron Tamburrini A Fixture

United-Kingdom
    Thats looking really good Brian, looking forward to the updates on this one,
    good idea with the base, I'll use an old glasgow word! what did you chib up
    with.
  7. smudger1960 PlanetFigure Supporter

United-Kingdom
    Thanks very much guys for your kind coments

Christos - Thanks for your coments,i'm pleased with the start i've made.

Don - I was'nt sure at first about adding anything to the scene,i managed to get some pics of zeus but there was no coloums or structures in them and then when i saw the new clash of the titans movie they had liam neeson (zeus) in like a temple like setting so i just decided to go for it,i cant find anything about a god of brickies though :lol:,if there ever was such a god perhaps his name was 'Mortar':lol:,nice hearing from you mate,i wont ask if zeus had any chest hair,i'll let ron keep suffering on that one.

Carl - i like the base better now i have carved that corner out,i was looking for a suitable base at euro for this figure but could'nt find one that i liked (y)

Ben - i would definately recomend this kit,its very nicely sculpted with good detail,i even got to see the painted version as it was on the pegaso stand,apparently they wer'e selling the alexandros range as well :confused:

Brian
  8. templar magister Active Member

Greece
    Ιt is very nice to see our mythology come alive.Veeeeeeery nice base my friend you have inside your mind the temple of Zeus at mount Olympus.
    Please keep us posted for progress.(y)
  9. jimias A Fixture

Greece
    I bought this piece from euro as well and I really think you ve made a great start with the base.keep us posted on your progress.
  10. smudger1960 PlanetFigure Supporter

United-Kingdom
    Dimitrios / Christos - thanks for your coments i'll keep you posted

Ron - What does chib-up mean :confused:,i need to brush up on my scotish slang so i'm well prepared for don next year

Brian :)
  11. Ron Tamburrini A Fixture

United-Kingdom
    Brian the word chib, in "Ned" language means cosh, sword,dagger,big stick.
    to chib is to hit, IE sometimes uttered before an assault "am gonna chib you":p
  12. sarouman A Fixture

Greece
    :eek::eek::eek: my friend Brian!!!!:)
    I believe that the creation of the base is what is needed by this miniature to highlight the very beautiful Greek theme!
    I wait anxiously but everybody evolution of very beautiful bondage!

Alexandros(y)
  13. dimgall Active Member

Greece
    excelent base. waiting for the rest...
  14. Theodoros A Fixture

Greece
    Nice choise of the base...!
  15. smudger1960 PlanetFigure Supporter

United-Kingdom
    Theodorus / Dimgall / Alexandros - many thanks for your coments.

Ron - thanks for the explanation mate,i'll remember chib-up from now on.

Brian (y)
  16. davidmitchell A Fixture

Scotland
    Looking good so far Brian wish I had got this one myself.Glad to see you are learning a new language :D:D:D

Cheers David
  17. brian A Fixture

Scotland
    Cracking groundwork Brian.Look forward to seeing him progress.
    Brian
  18. smudger1960 PlanetFigure Supporter

United-Kingdom
    Thanks brian,i felt this figure needed more than just the small piece of resin base that came with the kit,glad you like the process,have some updates in the next couple of days.

Thanks dave,i've been watching the banter between ron and don on ron's spartan bust post,they just make me laugh and don's great with his quick wit,yes the laungauge is coming on fine :lol:,glad you like the piece dave.

Brian (y)
  19. DEL A Fixture

Scotland
    Hi Brian
    looking forward to seeing the progress.
    This looks like it's going to be a really impressive piece.
    Very disappointed that the language of my fellow scots that of a bunch o scaffy jakeys.
    Toodle Pip
    Derek
  20. megroot A Fixture

Netherlands
    Stunning basework.

marc