1. Copying kits is a crime that hurts original artists & producers. Help support your favorite artists by buying their original works. PlanetFigure will not tolerate any activities related to recasting, and will report recasters to authorities. Thank you for your support!

Your choice. 54mm versus 75mm.

Discussion in 'General Figure Talk' started by Uruk-Hai, Jul 22, 2015.

?

Which scale do you prefer.

Poll closed Oct 22, 2015.
54mm Standalone Figures 15 vote(s) 29.4%
75mm Standalone Figures 24 vote(s) 47.1%
54mm Scenes or Vignette Figures 11 vote(s) 21.6%
75mm Scenes or Vignette Figures 17 vote(s) 33.3%
Other 13 vote(s) 25.5%
Multiple votes are allowed.
  1. Uruk-Hai PlanetFigure Supporter

Sweden
    Hello!

Please state your pick.
    Please note that multiple choices are available. But I appreciate if you make one choice in aspect of Standalone and Scenes or Vignettes.

Cheers
    Janne Nilsson
    Rich Sculpts and napoleonpeart like this.
  2. peedee A Fixture

United-Kingdom
    Janne?
    Why do we have to choose?
    Surely as a modeller you would buy the model not the scale?

There are models of equal quality and appeal in both scales,
    and the manufacturers don't or shouldn't care as long as they sell.

If one scale was better than another, only that scale would be offered already,
    Also why not 1/35th, 1/16th 1/9th scale or 32mm or 28mm or 90mm.
    They are all good my friend, but good luck with the survey.
    Paul
  3. Uruk-Hai PlanetFigure Supporter

Sweden
    Thanks for the input, Paul. And of course you dont have to choose, but it is about what you prefer.
    And while it might differ to you I would like to know if it matters to others and also if 75mm is wedgeing in.

Additionally it would be interesting to see the proportions in different prefered scales.

Cheers
    Janne Nilsson
  4. Mat Lambert A Fixture

United-Kingdom
    I always preferred 54mm figures and being a bit of a purist wanted to just stick with those... But after getting back into the hobby and seeing the range of figures available now and all the fantastic new sculpts that keep arriving I just had to diversify and now go for whatever figure subject appeals to me regardless of scale - even a couple of busts which I couldn't resist (am not really a fan of busts!) and some 30mm flats too.

Usually I buy single figures - Ancients, Napoleonics & 19thC in 54mm & 75mm, WW2 in 120mm.

Cheers
    Mat
  5. ChaosCossack A Fixture

Canada
    I find 75mm to be just about the perfect size for standalone figs... Big enuff for great detail but not so big as to become overwhelming. 54s are my choice for dios for space and modern casting gives us 54s of great detail. That being said I still enjoy a well sculpted and dynamic 54 as a standalone.
    Busts are still not really my thing and I'm really not at all sold on the doll-like 120 and 200mm figs... Just don't do it for me, can't say for sure why but something doesn't sit with me.

That's it in a disjointed rambling nutshell

Colin
    Uruk-Hai likes this.
  6. ellie A Fixture

United-Kingdom
    Hi All I'm a big fan of 75mm ( Iwould say that being the scale Ellies Mins works in) I love all scales but find 75mm to work best for me it's not too big and not too small just right for me. I would say that as people get older and the eyesight goes alittle then 75mm is a good scale. but I do think that 75mm is making very good head way in the market at the moment.

ian

www.elliesminiaturres.com
    ChaosCossack, Mat Lambert and Richie like this.
  7. Richie A Fixture

United-Kingdom
    Hi Janne,
    I know you were originally trying to determine if the 75's were the new 54's and I know a couple of figure companies who have strayed away from 75's. Saying that I think for a lot of people it depends on the subject matter and ageing eye's to what they choose.
    The 54mm scale is still very popular with a lot of people and those who don't model make but collect, Britain's 54mm ranges still seem to be very popular. Personally it all depends on the subject for me and I have purchased 54mm, 70mm, 75mm, 90mm, 100mm, 120mm, 200mm and busts in 1/9, 1/10 and 300mm scales. (not 1/35 scale too small for me personally but not for a lot of other people)

A good subject and sculpt, is still a good subject and sculpt regardless of the scale.

I have seen numerous stand alone figures, vignettes and diorama's in various scales that work just fine. I would need to choose all your options because it depends on the subject and sculpt for me. Just my 2 banana's worth. Good luck with your survey I hope you achieve what you are looking for.(y)
    cheers
    Richie
  8. Richie A Fixture

United-Kingdom
    Hi Ian,
    I'm glad it's works for you on a number of levels, concentrating on one scale and predominant subject matter gives the customer a choice of options with your range and good on you for sticking with it. It also give the customer a change to amalgamate your figures into vignette's or diorama's.
    The same could be said of Tommy's war in 54mm. There is no right or wrong scale it's the subject and sculpt that appeals.
    cheers
    Richie
  9. Babelfish A Fixture

United-Kingdom
    I can't pick one over the other, for me it's all about the subject first and foremost, and the quality of the sculpt/cast.

If a piece ticks those boxes, scale isn't really that important and I have done all scales from 200mm down to 54. I don't go smaller than 54mm though (except for 1/35 AFV crews). None of that 28mm stuff for me.

- Steve
  10. ellie A Fixture

United-Kingdom
    Cheers Richie

Yes we picked a scale and subject that was little coverd and we have stuck with it. ( we have done other things just to keep things fresh) we like you are doing some 75mm spares ( I Know yours are 54mm) in the comming months just to help with people who want to add more to the figures they buy. we have had alot of people saying it would be great to have accessories in 75mm like thier is is 54mm so we will try and come up sith some things. the first up will be a chasseprot rifle, then a set of 75mm heads with various head ware from the 2nd Empire, gabions and tools to name but a few. we have more things in the pipe line. sorry gone off the point a bit.

at the end of the day it's down to what you collect and if it looks good.

ian

www.elliesminiatures.com
  11. Tubby-Nuts2 A Fixture

United-Kingdom
    Perhaps an added 90mm and 120mm + option, would give a clearer picture of preferred scale's I clicked 'other'!:D Because 75mm is out of my physical ability.

Mark.
  12. kenshin393 A Fixture

United-Kingdom
    I'll paint anything! 10 mm to 75 and everything in between, plus stuff that's on my desk that the kids don't move back to their rooms fast enough.the only reason I don't go larger is really just an issue of price.
  13. DancingShaman Active Member

Turkey
    90mm for me.
    kevininpdx likes this.
  14. blaster A Fixture

United-States
    I sculpt and do conversions in 54mm most of the time. I hardly purchase figures but accessories in 54mm.
  15. mick3272 A Fixture

Hi,
    Peedee wrote words to the effect as a modeller you choose the subject not the scale. I feel the same, Alas my eyes and skills don't so any great subject smaller than 120mm gets put in the only if basket

Mick
    peedee and MCPWilk like this.
  16. Alex A Fixture

Canada
    I love 54, 75 and 90 mm figures ....

No preference whatsoever
    peedee likes this.
  17. Ferris A Fixture

I like the size of 75mm figures, but cannot stick to them as there are so many great ones in other scales. As much as I'd like to get a 'system' in my collection, I'm in no mood for the discipline this would require.

Adrian
  18. Uruk-Hai PlanetFigure Supporter

Sweden
    Thanks everybody for the input.

There is no right or wrong answer as I stated previously.
    The reason for excluding other scales is just for seeing the relation to 54mm versus 75 and other scales.

If you havent voted yet please do so.

Cheers
    Janne Nilsson
  19. theBaron A Fixture

United-States
    I prefer 54mm, because it's the classic toy soldier scale, and I like new pieces to fit in with the rest of my collection. I do intend to put them together in larger displays, some day, so I tend to stick to one size. It's one reason, too, that I don't buy any of the newer "collector's figures", like King & Country, First Legion, etc, even for as good as many of them are. They're just too big. They're already painted, too, which is the other reason I don't buy them, but in any case.

Even in my scale modeling, I try to stick to common scales for various subjects, eg, 1/700 for ships, 1/48 for aircraft. But I do appreciate large scales, for painting, since I've gotten interested in Maschinen Krieger, where most subjects are in 1/20.

Prost!
    Brad
  20. theBaron A Fixture

United-States
    I should add, my devotion to 54mm is driving my efforts to learn to sculpt. There are a couple of subjects that I'd like to paint, but they don't exist in 54mm fully-round figures. So, I'll sculpt 'em myself.

Prost!
    Brad
    ChaosCossack likes this.