1. Copying kits is a crime that hurts original artists & producers. Help support your favorite artists by buying their original works. PlanetFigure will not tolerate any activities related to recasting, and will report recasters to authorities. Thank you for your support!

WIP Young Miniatures Stormtrooper

Discussion in 'vBench (Works in Progress)' started by harto, Nov 19, 2011.

1. harto Active Member

HongKong
    Hi, here's my Young Miniatures Stormtrooper bust. I decided to make him a bit more menacing by adding a scratchbuilt gasmask. I also added some more grenades to his bags and made the later pattern endcaps for these since I intend to also give him a late pattern camouflage helmet. Other alterations include adding an iron cross second class ribbon and shortened NCO collar tabs. He's mounted on a genuine WW1 shrapnel shell fragment. This is my first attempt to post an image so hope it works. Cheeers John

Attached Files:

Ventress, john din, Sambaman and 4 others like this.
  2. harto Active Member

HongKong
    Here's a close up of the gasmask. I am making the correct chinstrap attachment and have still to add this. e bay is a great reference source on the stahlhelm, lots of pics there. The spider web lens protectors in the mask were assembled from photo etch bits I had lying around. John

Attached Files:

3. kiwi45 Active Member

New_Zealand
    Nice work John, love the additions you have done, look forward to seeing it completed. Les
    combatartist likes this.
  4. FigureLover A Fixture

Australia
    Very nice work and the additions to this already great kit. I like your detailssuch as the spider web lenses in the mask as well as using an authentic base from the time.
    Ben
  5. Ron Tamburrini A Fixture

United-Kingdom
    This looks very interesting John, love the additions (y)
  6. Michael Tse Active Member

HongKong
    Look fwd to progress! This is gonna be so cool.
  7. 1969 A Fixture

United-Kingdom
    I like your take on this bust, adds a new dimension to it, will follow this one, looking forward to seeing the end result.

Steve
    combatartist likes this.
  8. fear-max Member

Italy
    I like!
    Max
  9. megroot A Fixture

Netherlands
    Perfect, just perfect work.
    Waiting for the finished bust.

Marc
  10. Tzanos Member

Greece
    I really like it!
  11. Figurenfreund66 Well-Known Member

Germany
    Unbelievable, I'm thrilled.

best regards

Hendryk
  12. harto Active Member

HongKong
    bit of an update, I have painted the face. Since most of this will be hidden when I put the gasmask on I figured this would be a good time to try my first face in acrylics since I have always painted in oils to date. I'm surprised by how much the camera seems to wash out the colours, they are a bit darker in reality, but I was reasonably pleased with this for a first attempt. I can see that there is going to be a lot more scope to play around with various tones and washes than I would usually get with oils.

Attached Files:

13. harto Active Member

HongKong
  14. harto Active Member

HongKong
    Finally!! OK, here are some rough shots of the finished bust. I will try and take some better pics soon. P1000800.JPG P1000800.JPG P1000800.JPG P1000806.JPG P1000800.JPG P1000806.JPG P1000804.JPG
  15. megroot A Fixture

Netherlands
    Excellent work.
    The base is also great. Never thought about using the head of a grenade....I have a few laying around in my barn, that I found 30 years ago around Passendale.

Marc
  16. Ulrich A Fixture

Germany
    really nice idea with the shell fragment. I like it. The gas mask is great too. The figure, could depends on the photos, looks IMHO a little bit too colourful and clean. But perhaps you can manage it with the depth of focus with your camera. I have sometimes the same problems with my camera
  17. housecarl Moderator

United-Kingdom
    Superb work.
    Carl.(y)
  18. Helm A Fixture

England
    i like this and the base is a great touch mate

Steve
  19. Ventress Well-Known Member

England
    Very nice and great base.
  20. Figurenfreund66 Well-Known Member