1. Copying kits is a crime that hurts original artists & producers. Help support your favorite artists by buying their original works. PlanetFigure will not tolerate any activities related to recasting, and will report recasters to authorities. Thank you for your support!

Young Miniatures - Roman Optio

Discussion in 'Figure News' started by RobertC33, Jan 11, 2017.

1. Red Five Well-Known Member

United-Kingdom
    Just jump in here.

An optios crest is generally accepted to be transverse. You could even pop a couple of feathers either side. There is no evidence centurions did not wear segmentata, plated fragments have been found so it is possible. The higher the status the more likely a member of the legion will be wearing tin or silver plating. It's personal presence. The fittings and hinges would be silvered too at this rank.

Evidence for Roman transverse crests for centurions is sparse. We have a fourth century comment by Vegitius which is relevant for the fourth century and a small number of grave stele which may show the crest as an artistic convention. Crests were relegated to parade gear in the first century where they became more elaborate.

Do not believe an artist. For example Trajan's Column, which Hollywood loves, show different legionaries from the Adamklissi monument which was made by legionaries in the field about the same Dacian war and is supported by archaeology. Google it. Both monuments show centurions (sword on left) with no crests.

This bust has no balteus so he is not wearing a sword. A balteus slung over the shoulder would be fashionable at the turn of the first century.

The helmet of an optio or centurion would be silver plated, especially as worn by this well decorated experienced veteran. They have replicas of these medallions on display at the Ashmolean in Oxford.

I'd also paint the crest holder silver. A metal plated wooden box.

Personally I'd call him a centurion and paint the helmet silver with gilted fittings.

Not to sure about the tails on the crest. I've made a few of those and I used to use tons of hairspray to make them stand up. This proved problematic on one occasion as the hairspray make it very flammable when carrying a burning torch! I forget how the Romans did it but they used something too. It's very difficult to dye horse hair red with natural dyes. In fact a bit of sun and rain would turn it pink. Dark horse hair is stiffer and easier to get to stand up. What I used to do was support floppy white hair between black to get stripes.

The trouble with the ancient world is there are some very bad books and some very good ones. Unfortunately a lot of bad books are copied from bad books. What you have to do is search out the archeology, look at the dating and move on from there. There are new finds all the time and good books will update with later editions.

Sorry. Spent too much time rummaging through museum back rooms and hitting bits of metal.
  2. Redcap A Fixture

United-Kingdom
    I will happily stand corrected however I thought the figures of the Legionaries on Trajan's Column were actually now believed to have been based upon 'models' of the Praetorian Guard who were the only army unit allowed within the walls of Rome for the craftsmen to copy - hence the expression "Crossing the Rubicon" meaning no army was allowed to enter the city perimeter except for parades etc? Many of them have 'Attica' style helmets as well which was also connected to the Guard. Likewise, the almost universally accepted idea that all the legions had wings and bolts on their shields also came from images on the column which may/may not have been modelled on Praetorian Guards rather than actual 'standard' legions of the time?

Your experimentation with the horsehair crests is really interesting and quite thought provoking as well so thanks for sharing that.

As for the bust itself, it's a superb paint job and doubtless a highly detailed piece but I think I will stick with my SEIL Centurion bust along with the large Andrea 'Sid James' one for now. An opportunity missed by YM IMHO with this one as it could have been magnificent absent the historical accuracy questions re. the helmet and armour issues.

Gary
    franceso sbarile likes this.
  3. Edorta A Fixture

Spain