1. Copying kits is a crime that hurts original artists & producers. Help support your favorite artists by buying their original works. PlanetFigure will not tolerate any activities related to recasting, and will report recasters to authorities. Thank you for your support!

Young Miniatures - Roman Optio

Discussion in 'Figure News' started by RobertC33, Jan 11, 2017.

1. RobertC33 Well-Known Member

HongKong
    Hi All,
    Here's the new bust of Young Miniatures.

Title : [YH1850] ROMAN OPTIO
    Size : 1/10 Scale
    Material : Resin
    Weight : 200g
    Pieces : 9
    Sculpted by Young B Song
    Painted by Kirill Kanaev
    YH1850-1.jpg YH1850-2.jpg YH1850-3.jpg YH1850-4.jpg YH1850-5.jpg YH1850-6.jpg
  2. JasonB Moderator

United-States
    Wow
    Nice bust and the painting on this one is astounding. Might be the best application of red I have ever seen, and the metallics...:wideyed: . One thing. I believe as an Optio, his crest should run front to back, the Centurions having the crest that ran side to side. Easy correction should you choose to do so, or leave him as is and call him a Centurion.
    franceso sbarile and oldtrousers like this.
  3. peedee A Fixture

United-Kingdom
    Oh....WOW !

Paul.
  4. Robert Laclavik Active Member

Czech-Republic
    Realy nice bust, but what a painting. I believe, that the reflections on metal parts is painted in! I have not seen something like that before. Unbelievable panting:woot:
  5. Redcap A Fixture

United-Kingdom
    That is a fabulously sculpted bust and the painting just incredible, truly fabulous I'm sure the experts will know more but it looks like a hybrid Optio and Centurion bust as (to my knowledge of historical findings - but 'never say never') Centurions did not wear Lorica armour and the Optio wore their helmet crest lengthways like a Greek hoplite; not a transverse crest which was how a Centurion wore one.

Perhaps it's an Optio who borrowed his Centurion's helmet or was performing 'Acting' rank duties?

I am not being petty I hope but there is loads of historical info out there to avoid elementary mistakes like this (appears) to be.

Gary
    Helm, franceso sbarile and MCPWilk like this.
  6. franceso sbarile A Fixture

Nothing more to say. The role of the crest was to easily identify the Optio and centurion position in battle formation so they should not be confused. Very nice bust.
    Francesco
    oldtrousers likes this.
  7. mil-mart A Fixture

United-Kingdom
    Superb sculpting and painting, takes it to another level.

Cheers Ken
    pmfs and peedee like this.
  8. tonydawe A Fixture

Australia
  9. Martin Antonenko A Fixture

Germany
    Boooaaaah - what a figure!!!

But I think, his rank should be "Centurio", for he carries the "crista transversa", the transverse helmet bush on his "Imperial Italic Type D"-helmet...:

[IMG]

But this one word does the splendid bust no break.

Cheers
    housecarl and oldtrousers like this.
  10. JasonB Moderator

United-States
    In addition to turning the crest to run front to back, I think it would be necessary to remove the "tail" part of it in the front. I have seen depictions of Optios with the crest forming the tail in the back, so that would be fine either long or short. If leaving him as a Centurion I would remove both tails, if only because they look very Greek to me. As far as Centurions wearing Lorica armor, its a toss up. It is far more common to see them represented as wearing everything but Lorica (chain mail, scale and muscle Cuirass), perhaps again to make them stand out or as a sign of authority, but its probably not out of the question that they could have worn Lorica. This is however the first time that I have seen a Roman depicted as wearing his Flare (decorations) on a harness over Lorica, which may be the reason those Centurions (who would likely have amassed a few decorations in their time) wore something else, it might have been a bit too bulky?
    oldtrousers and franceso sbarile like this.
  11. storm_zh Well-Known Member

China
    Very nice bust. Really impressive painting
    peedee likes this.
  12. Reptor A Fixture

Japan
    Wow ! Young is just a master in the bust sculpture! The painting is just beautiful!:love:(y)
    peedee likes this.
  13. Chris Ribchester A Fixture

England
    A very nice bust with magnificent painting.

Chris
    peedee likes this.
  14. franceso sbarile A Fixture

IMO , as Redcap already said, this is an Hybrid of Centurion and Optio, to move to a centurion lorica segmentata to be removed, to move to an optio crest must be routed, front tail must be removed and two feathers must be added to the side of the crest. Also to me is difficoult to see such a Flare on an Optio.
    Cheers
    Francesco
    vincenzo and Redcap like this.
  15. Nap Moderator

England
    Hi Guys

It's a nice bust painted really well ....

Wonder why Yooungs decided to name it so

Nap
    franceso sbarile likes this.
  16. tomifune A Fixture

United-States

The correct way to display flare:

[IMG]

o_O

Bob
  17. MCPWilk A Fixture

United-Kingdom
    Superb sculpting and painting. As regards crests and armour, I am in the process of sculpting a 200mm centurion with an Italic H helmet with transverse crest and chain mail shirt. My version of an Optio has a fore & aft crest, but without side feathers:

Optio 1.jpg Optio 1.jpg Optio 2.jpg Optio 3.jpg

The problem is that references are somewhat hazy. A newly appointed centurion probably equates to a lieutenant in modern terms (in command of 80 men), whilst the Primus Pilus was a senior officer, probably the equivalent of a colonel or possibly a brigadier. Uniforms, armour, medals and helmets are likely to have been very variable, especially as there was no mass production as understood today. Although there were supply centres producing similar styles of helmets etc., there was also recycling of equipment and the acquisition of kit from defeated enemies on the battlefield. We cannot even state for certain what colour tunics legionaries wore (most likely undyed linen on a daily basis), or what colour their shields were.

Mike

Attached Files:

franceso sbarile, JasonB and Redcap like this.
  18. JasonB Moderator

United-States
    15 pieces...minimum
    tomifune likes this.
  19. Krest063 Active Member

Russian-Federation
    Wow ! Super sculpt and great paint !
    Andrey
  20. T50 A Fixture

United-States
    Excellent bust!!!