1. Copying kits is a crime that hurts original artists & producers. Help support your favorite artists by buying their original works. PlanetFigure will not tolerate any activities related to recasting, and will report recasters to authorities. Thank you for your support!

WW1 Field Hospital Tent for Mike the Kiwi's Ladies

Discussion in 'Completed Figures' started by Andrew Belsey, Sep 18, 2017.

1. Andrew Belsey A Fixture

United-Kingdom
    [IMG][IMG]
    [IMG]I've had the privilege of making a backdrop for a couple of Mike Butler's figures. Mike did Box Art for Tommy's War of their VAD nurse and WAAC Signaller but they were not mounted on bases. They work so well as a pair that Darren asked me if I could make a base for them. Mike has had a trip to the UK and attended Euro. But he couldn't risk carrying figures around, so had none with him. We surprised him with an entry, which gained a silver for us (mainly down to Mike's fantastic paintwork!) Mike was suitably 'stoked' at our surprise for him. I made the tent from foil from a old pie tin. I'll blog how I did it on my MilMod thread when I have time. http://www.militarymodelling.com/forums/postings.asp?th=127429&p=15

Andy Belsey
    Edorta, Martin64, Jaybo and 19 others like this.
  2. Silversurfer Active Member

Germany
    Hi Andy, only one word: Fantastic!!!

Thomas
    anstontyke likes this.
  3. megroot A Fixture

Netherlands
    Jaybo likes this.
  4. Scotty A Fixture

Scotland
    I saw this myself at the weekend and thought it was a fantastic piece of work. Well done.
  5. Andrew Belsey A Fixture

United-Kingdom
    [IMG]

Hi Marc,
    If you look at some of the results of your image search you'll see some of the entrances are pretty low and you'd have to stoop to get inside. That's why I did it that high, but I could be wrong? I did think about it.
    Andy
    KenBoyle and Scotty like this.
  6. fogie A Fixture

United-Kingdom
    Super, super stuff !! An old pie tin eh ? So this could qualify as a sort of modern form of 'trench art'. Love it a lot !!
  7. megroot A Fixture

Netherlands
    Yes this one looks lower then the others, but not so low. I think the answer is something in the middle. Anyway, it's still a great piece that will bring us back to the reality that we did a great step forward in frontchirurgie.

Marc
  8. KenBoyle PlanetFigure Supporter

United-States
    Looks fantastic Andy!

Well done,
    Ken
  9. Landrotten Highlander Well-Known Member

I blame it on forced perspective when looking downhill.
    Great piece, and wonderful idea.
    Slainte
    L.H.
  10. arj A Fixture

United-Kingdom
    Excellent concept, construction and painting.
    A perfect backdrop for the two figures.
    Congratulations to both you and Mike on the Silver award.

Cheers,
    Andrew
  11. MoboSchreuder A Fixture

looks great , well done

mobo
  12. John Bowery A Fixture

United-States
    What a nice thing to do for Mike. Congrats on the medal and all the work done.
    Cheers
    John
  13. Mike - The Kiwi A Fixture

New_Zealand
    Thanks everyone - a real surprise.
    Here's overall shot of Andy's professional presentation of this pair.
    Indebted to him & Darren for taking the time to create this display.
    -Mike
    IMG_7784.JPG
  14. Andrew Belsey A Fixture

United-Kingdom
    In this month's Military Modelling is an article about how I made the hospital tent and groundwork for Mike's beauties. The tent was made of pie tin foil, because that was all I had at hand. Using pie tins makes the preparation fun as well!! Mike and I are kindred spirits regarding WW1 subjects, so look out for further collaborations from us.

[IMG]
  15. DaddyO A Fixture

United-Kingdom
    Had a quick scan through the MM on the shelf in Smiths for the first time in years whilst I was killing a few minutes and was delighted to see the article - very impressed with the whole thing. Some lovely techniques explained that could be used for many other ideas and took me back to the old Stan Catchpole modelling workshop days (You remember when we had to make everything from what could be sourced locally or adapted from what was available) :D

Lovely figures too (I have the nurse myself who is in for a repaint at some point because I didn't do her justice the first time 'round.

Thanks guys
    Paul
  16. oldtrousers PlanetFigure Supporter

Gorgeous work by you and Mike, Andy! Thank you for posting this.

Scott
    Mike - The Kiwi likes this.
  17. Andrew Belsey A Fixture

United-Kingdom
    Thanks for the encouragement guys and the linking to Stan Catchpole is flattering - Byron Fosten influenced so many of us. It's a pleasure to work with Mike and we are planning our next ventures already.
    I have been blogging on the Military Modelling Forum for a number of years and eventually created an index to make it easier to find my tips and techniques on WW1 modelmaking (Some, I'm sure, were tips I picked up from Stan). You can find my index here http://www.militarymodelling.com/forums/postings.asp?th=127429
    Andy B
    Mike - The Kiwi and oldtrousers like this.
  18. MCPWilk A Fixture

United-Kingdom
    Wonderful tribute to the women at the Front.

Mike
  19. Edorta A Fixture

Spain
    Mike - The Kiwi likes this.