1. Copying kits is a crime that hurts original artists & producers. Help support your favorite artists by buying their original works. PlanetFigure will not tolerate any activities related to recasting, and will report recasters to authorities. Thank you for your support!

WIP Critique Wrath of God part three

Discussion in 'vBench (Works in Progress)' started by John Bowery, Sep 4, 2015.

1. John Bowery A Fixture

United-States
    This figure is 95% almost complete. I glued the sword arm onto the cape and that seemed like it would work and then glued the cape to the body. Wrong. I had to break the sword arm off again as it run afoul of the cape. I worked fast as I had used 5 minute epoxy.:arghh: I got the cape on and then reglued the sword arm where it goes. Thought you might like to be aware of this little quirk.
    You now have to be very careful as if you bend the sword accidently then it is a bearcat to straighten back out as it is almost on the cape.:eek: The head was easy. I also wanted the leather belts to be well worn and I was a little to heavy handed. I think I can correct that with some glazes. Any ideas for the colour of the glazes?:confused:
    wrath14edt.jpg

wrath10edt.jpg

I wanted two distinct blacks and I think that I have achieved that. One is a warm black and the other is cold. The cold black is the cape and I used a blue/black black and added prussian blue (windser Newton)oils over acrylics. Washed the creases with Andrea flat black and sprayed dull coat over the cape. The rest of the figure had been dull coated in step two.
    The left shoe has the light colour in the torn section as in the photo as per part two comments.:LOL:

The last part will be to weather him and I hate to do that on most of my models. But I do a little.:cry:

He will now be added to a base.

The base is a project from my friend Guy Herrick and the task was turned over to me to complete his project as he can no longer paint. I am proud to have been asked to complete his work as I have admired Guy very much through the years and he has helped me considerably over the time Maureen and I have known him and his wonderful wife.
    Guy also gave me the black knight and said I could add him or not as I wished.

wrath18edt.jpg
    Guy has almost completed the two white knights and I will finish them off and assemble them and they will be in this approximate position?:nailbiting:
    This is where I am considering putting the black knight.

wrath16edt.jpg

wrath15edt.jpg

Remember the black knight will be lower and closer to the arch. The two front people looking toward each other. I have to sculpt some stones for the castle floor and I am not sure if I should paint them the same as the arch or contrast it with the usual gray stone. What do you guys think?

Any comments and hints are welcome and I thank you for looking.
    I can now see the light at the end of the tunnel.

Cheers
    John

Attached Files:

2. samson Well-Known Member

United-States
    Great work really cool piece liking this alot
    John Bowery likes this.
  3. Viking Bob PlanetFigure Supporter

United-Kingdom
    I think you are doing a great job John, the black knight will fit beautifully in the scene.
    I like how you have painted the leather belts and the blacks are superb, not an easy colour to get right, but you have got it spot on.

Regards
    Bob
    John Bowery likes this.
  4. swralph A Fixture

This is looking really good John.
    I do like the belt's (almost like Tiger skin)not sure what glaze I would use,maybe a yellowish brown.
    John Bowery likes this.
  5. Edorta A Fixture

Spain
    John Bowery likes this.
  6. tiberius57 A Fixture

Canada
    Stunning blacks John! Those transitions and tones are excellent!(y)
    For the leather parts I'm using Vallejo Smoke 70.939 heavy diluted and applied thin to bring everything together. I like a lot the worn effect that you achieved. Try a little bit of smoke to see if you like it. It dries satin which goes very well with leather.
    As far as the composition, the Knight Hospitalier makes a very strong focal point. With the arch, he makes an awesome display. I think that the Templars can make a great scene by themselves. Just my 2 cents.
    Will follow your progress with great interest.
    Cheers,
    Zeno :)
    John Bowery likes this.
  7. MalcC A Fixture

England
    Excellent painting John
    Nice smooth transitions in the tones.(y)

Malc
    John Bowery likes this.
  8. Tubby-Nuts2 A Fixture

United-Kingdom
    John, this is going to be a wonderful scene, and worthy of any display cabinet.(y) As Tiberius says, excellent tones and transition of colours. Very well rendered indeed.

Ps, Is that a 'Bash-Models', Arch? .. it fits the bill perfectly.

Regards,

Mark
    John Bowery likes this.
  9. kansas kid Well-Known Member

United-States
    Hello John: You're doing a lovely job on your Black Knight. Such a dramatic pose,
    and so well done. But unfortunately, I do not agree with the others regarding the
    composition. The Black Knight is in such a dramatic and "atmospheric" pose, that in
    my view, I don't see how he fits with the two other figures, that are rather in a
    calm stance. And for me, with him looking and pointing off the right side of the
    composition, I feel it takes the viewer's eye away from the presentation. I admire
    your skill and artistry a great deal, John. And I hope my remarks are not the
    correct thing for me to do. And lastly, if you do put a stone pattern on the floor/
    base, I would suggest using tones that are in colour harmony with the rest of
    the composition; i.e. the greys of the Black Knight and the tans, browns and mellon
    light red colours of the arch. Regardless of my comments, I am sure your finished
    presentation will be a lovely piece. You realize, of course, my comments are only
    one person's OPINION. Not fact, just an opinion! ;) Jayhawker
    John Bowery likes this.
  10. John Bowery A Fixture

United-States
    Thanks to all for looking and the comments.

Zeno: That is a great tip to try smoke and I had not even thought about that. I will give that a try. Thanks

Mark: The arch came from Guy and I do not know where it came from, so you are probably correct.

Jayhawker: Your comments are welcome. I like your idea of the gray stones and adding the column colours to the stone. My thoughts at this point are that, this is the end of the battle and since one knights head is bowed and the other at rest and facing each other, that they could be in prayer for winning the battle and in a state of exhaustion. The suggested titles at this point are:
    1: In praise of Victory.
    2: Praise be to god.

Any title suggestions are also welcome as the title is not set in stone yet and is still in progress.:)
  11. Ferris A Fixture

Hi John,

Great result on the blacks! Clearly different, but still going together well.

About the belt: you could use a range of dark browns to tone down the effect. Adding a little dark red can help to bring the leather to life.

As to the composition I agree with the Jayhawk. Personally, I don't think the black and white knights fit together. The black one has far more adrenalin than the others. I would pose it alone, without the castle.
    The white ones and the castle would make a nice combo however.

Then again, just my opinion!
    Figure itself looks great.

Cheers,
    Adrian
    John Bowery likes this.
  12. Ferris A Fixture

On second thought, if you do like to add the three knights together, you could have the white knights facing the black one. That may tie them together to get the after-the-battle effect you mentioned.
    Mike Stevens and John Bowery like this.
  13. bricks tattoo Well-Known Member

Captured the black perfect. Nice job sir.
    John Bowery likes this.
  14. ChaosCossack A Fixture

Canada
    Nice work John... blacks are outstanding, the leathers look good but you are right, the wear effects may be a touch harsh... Zeno's suggestion of using Smoke to glaze is excellent. Use thin layers, that way you can add until you get the effect you want.

Making a composition of the three figs will be a challenge... I'm really curious how it's all gonna turn out.

Keep up the good work

Colin
    John Bowery likes this.
  15. smudger1960 PlanetFigure Supporter

United-Kingdom
    Lovely piece of work john,I really like the way youv'e handled the blacks mate,congratulations :)
    John Bowery likes this.
  16. Wings5797 A Fixture

France
    Wonderful progress John.
    There are some tricky tones in there that you have really mastered.
    Good work and I am looking forward to the next instalment.
    Keith
    John Bowery likes this.
  17. megroot A Fixture

Netherlands
    Looking great

Marc
    John Bowery likes this.