1. Copying kits is a crime that hurts original artists & producers. Help support your favorite artists by buying their original works. PlanetFigure will not tolerate any activities related to recasting, and will report recasters to authorities. Thank you for your support!

WIP - Custer bust

Discussion in 'vBench (Works in Progress)' started by Mongo Mel, Jul 24, 2007.

1. Mongo Mel Active Member

United-States
    Hi,
    I've been trying to get back in the groove with my painting lately.
    To that end, I've started a couple of new pieces as well as working on my Tarleton bust.
    Here are a couple of pictures of a bust by amati of George Armstrong Custer...

[IMG]

[IMG]

[IMG]

It took me several false starts, trying to get a ruddy coloring to the face that I think would be appropriate for someone that spends a lot of time out of doors.
    For the blond hair, I think I need to add some more highlights to get it right.
    And as always, ignore the "eyes of the damned" look :| :D
    I always do the eyes last on the face.
    One great thing about the digital camera, it helps me spot things like the collar paint creeping into the hair oin a couple of places that need fixing.
    I'd appreciate hearing your thoughts on how it'sloking so far. Any suggestions would be welcome.
    Thanks,
    Craig
  2. ryall Active Member

New_Zealand
    Spot on!

Craig

Those flesh tones look great to me, any chance of sharing what type and colours of paints you are using.

Ryally
  3. Guy A Fixture

United-States
    He looks good so far Craig. Getting a ruddy complexion on a light skinned person is tough. Keep us posted.
  4. Mongo Mel Active Member

United-States
    Hi guys,
    Ryally...I'm one of those dinosaurs that still paints in oils, not acrylics :)
    I did something different on the flesh on this one and it's caused some problems. Instead of undercoating with the acrylic deep portrait pink I usually use, I began with the white primer only. then I covered the face with Burnt Sienna and wiped it off leaving just a good stain. Then I began adding first Winsor Newton Flesh Tint and then a mix of titanium White with Cad Yellow (mixed to a pale yellow shade) to get the flesh tones, blending them out from the high points and leaving the BS in the shadows. When this dried I began adding the secondary shadows using Brown Madder Alizarin and then Burnt Umber in the deepest shadows. That's where the trouble began. I forgot that this method leaves a very delicate base that is easily damaged :(
    For the highlights I used the same colors as before.
    I need to spray it with a coat or 2 of clear flat before I go any farther.
    Thanks for the feed back guys.
    Craig :)
  5. megroot A Fixture

Netherlands
    Craig,
    Fleshtones are lifelike. Great. Nothing i gonna try ( a donkey don't hit the same rock twice)....as i see the troubles you had.

Marc
  6. diosytexas Member

England
    hi craig. not my favorite bust of custer but your doing a great job, remember in the absence of a colour photo your shooting from the hip any way as far as complextion is concerned. great stuff. dave.
  7. Christos Well-Known Member

Greece
    Very good fleshtones on a lovely bust,one of my favourites!
    christos
  8. Sambaman Well-Known Member

United-States
    Looking good Craig!

Jay H.
    OKC