1. Copying kits is a crime that hurts original artists & producers. Help support your favorite artists by buying their original works. PlanetFigure will not tolerate any activities related to recasting, and will report recasters to authorities. Thank you for your support!

Review William Wallace from Nuts Planet

Discussion in 'Reviews , Video Reviews and Open Book' started by Nap, Aug 16, 2016.

1. Nap Moderator

England
    Hi everyone ,

In our resin filled world we see many different subjects released , fantasy , fact, historical and fiction , the last is the area of the latest bust release from Nuts Planet .
    000a.jpg
    A fictional depiction but of a historical subject the release was announced here on PF

It is of course

00a.jpg

Of course it is a version of the actor Mel Gibson portraying William Wallace in the 1995 film , in my opinion an enjoyable film , inaccuracies yes but great battle scenes!!

Of course its a fictional version and Wallace looked nothing like this in real life but like this:
    w.jpg

his original sword is held at Stirling castle , over 2.5 m in length ...a feared weapon for sure wallace 1.jpg wallace.jpg

Wallace himself was said to be over 6'5" tall and a powerful and charismatic figure in real life , born in 1270 he led from the front so lets have some info on his military career

Sir William Wallace (from the Gaelic Uilliam Uallas) was a Scottish member of the lesser nobility who became one of the main leaders of the rebels during the Wars of Scottish Independence. Along with Andrew Moray, Wallace defeated an English army at the Battle of Stirling Bridge in September 1297, and was appointed Guardian of Scotland by an assembly of noblemen. He commanded the Scottish army until his defeat at the Battle of Falkirk in July 1298, when he resigned from his function. He was captured in August 1305 in Robroyston, near Glasgow, after the betrayal of the Scottish knight John de Menteith, and was handed over to King Edward I of England, who had him tortured and killed for high treason and crimes against English civilians.

There is a good article in 2014 which tells us that 3 skulls were found in London ..one is likely to be Wallace after analysis by experts from the National Museum of Ireland .
    z.png

All three heads have visibly been dipped in tar and boiled for preservation, before being pierced by pikes or spears. According to the various tests and analysis realized on the three heads, two of the skulls have been proven by DNA, to belong to the brothers, John and Simon Fraser, while the third is strongly believed to have belonged to William Wallace. All three men were indeed condemned to being executed in 1305 and 1306, and many contemporary writers describe how the head of the three men were exposed at the same time atop the London Bridge, starting a tradition of gruesome dissuasion that was to continue for another 355 years .

[IMG]

Two of the skulls, turned out to have very similar genetics suggesting they were siblings. DNA comparison with descendants of John and Simon Fraser of Oliver and Neidpath, have confirmed that these were indeed the remains of the famous rebel knights banneret.
    All three rebels were in fact separately condemned to being hanged, drawn and quartered, an exceptionally cruel, long and bloody method of public execution. Convicts were fastened to a hurdle, or a wooden panel, and drawn by horse to the place of execution, where they were hanged almost to the point of death, but released while still alive. They were then emasculated, eviscerated and their bowels were burnt before them, before they were finally beheaded. Their bodies were then cut into four parts, to be exposed like the head, in different parts of the Kingdom.

In the case of William Wallace, contemporary chronicles state that his preserved head was placed on a pike atop London Bridge while his limbs were displayed, separately, in Newcastle upon Tyne, Berwick-upon-Tweed, Stirling, and Perth.
    In the film our hero wears tartan here are a couple of modern version of the design tt.jpg 1t.jpg
    ttt.jpg

Also he carry's a very impressive sword based on the original
    film sword.jpg

Here is a copy bab.jpg baab.jpg
    this is Wallace as in The Edinburgh Dungeon zz.jpg

Continued in next post
    Nap
    Zastrow.cuirassier likes this.
  2. Nap Moderator

England
    As we are looking at a particular depiction from the film lets have some pictures of Mr Gibson himself some good painting references
    0b.jpg tttt.jpg b.jpg bbbbbb.jpg bbb.jpg bbbb.jpg bbbbb.jpg booo.jpg boo.jpeg

Continued in next post

Nap
    Zastrow.cuirassier and Monsoon like this.
  3. smudger1960 PlanetFigure Supporter

United-Kingdom
    I can't wait to get one of these
  4. Nap Moderator

England
    Onto the Resin

Release details are :

Title: William Wallace Guardian of Scotland

Reference: NP-B025

Scale:: 1/10th

Material: Gray Resin

No of parts: 7

Sculptor : Jun Sik Ahn

Box art : Myeong-ha Hwang

As always parts are safely held between foam layers the smaller parts in a clear bag , a full colour version on the top braveheart 001.jpg with a group of 3 on the side braveheart 002.jpg with one showing where to fit the sword straps braveheart 020.jpg

Parts consist of the main torso , 2 hair pieces , 2 straps , the sword hilt and a base
    braveheart 003.jpg
    Prep

Torso ...Casting plug underneath to remove ( same position as all other releases), easy to do and get to .
    Hair pieces ...small plugs to remove and fit to head ...one sits proud , I would suggest perhaps putting it to the body more
    Straps...fit in place
    Sword ...small casting plug to cut off and fit to scabbard
    Base ...Fit if you decide to use it
    braveheart 005.jpg
    Torso

First thing to say is the surface of the resin showed no imperfections whatsoever , the underside being perfectly smooth as well...this has with all the reviews of busts I have done for Nuts releases a constant feature
    braveheart 007.jpg braveheart 006.jpg braveheart 007.jpg braveheart 008.jpg braveheart 009.jpg braveheart 012.jpg braveheart 013.jpg braveheart 014.jpg
    Leaning very close to the film images , the sculptor has captured the look really well as I have come to expect from Jun-Sik , starting with the hair , long , straggly and entwined , very nice texture , strands sitting nicely on the neck , the hair swept back at the forehead being held by a tie to a pony tail ., under that we have an animals tail , again well shaped and detailed on the surface.

The pigtails are also well worked the ends being tied with a cord , there is as I said one that sits a little high so you might want to move closer braveheart 017.jpg

braveheart 010.jpg braveheart 011.jpg braveheart 015.jpg

The Facial features are IMO the actor , perhaps the eyes are a little too level in shape and the cheeks might be a little too full looking at some pictures but it will paint well . The ears are well formed , small sideboards , nasal area has good definition particularly the nostrils , mouth is held tightly shut .
    braveheart 006-001.jpg

The clothing he wears again closely follows the film , folds are very naturally worked with the collar having a rough edging , the ends having cords .

The armour has been very well defined , the individual plates are well shaped ( these were covered by material) , some however are torn to reveal the plate , rivets are one in each corner of the plates , at the neck area there is small stitching .

The sword belt is exactly as seen , great undercuts, sharply cast , and pulling into the tartan material correctly

The scabbard itself is ready to receive the sword hilt , then fitting the 2 small straps is needed as shown on the box side

The Tartan over his shoulder sits well and full , its tied together at the shoulder top , and has strong folds , again we see some tears and worn area's. braveheart 016.jpg

The Sword Hilt is a real beast of a sword this has a good style and shape ...
    I like the pommel braveheart 019.jpg
    the cross pieces have a nice decoration on the ends braveheart 018.jpg .

The Base this is the standard pillar shaped one we have seen in previous busts and more than suitable for the purpose , fit is spot on to the underside of the torso ..I would suggest pinning as well

braveheart 004.jpg
    Final Thoughts

Nuts Planet have again produced a quality subject , yes its not historically correct but who really cares the sculpting is first class , casting the same with minimal prep , this is a bust that will be a challenge to paint , lots of opportunities to get the textures of the cloth , tartan ( not too much!!) , leather and metallics ...a painters piece for sure .

Quality again from Nuts Planet

For more details on this and other releases from Nuts have a look at their website

www.nutsplanet.com

or follow on FB and here on PF

Thanks to Nuts for the Review model and for you all for looking in

Nap
    Zastrow.cuirassier and Seraphim like this.
  5. Nap Moderator

England
    Lets just enjoy some pictures

First the actual sculpt itself before casting
    000a.jpg
    00a.jpg and now ...2 versions with warpaint

000000a.jpg

and without the warpaint!!!

0000a.jpg
    00000a.jpg

Happy modelling

Nap
  6. Igmar Active Member

Ukraine
    Excellent work. Wonderful portrait.
    napoleonpeart likes this.
  7. MalcC A Fixture

England
    It looks an excellent sculpt and casting, which is what you expect from Nuts Planet.

Malc
  8. misfit151 A Fixture

Great subject...brilliant production....terrific review...;). Mike
  9. JGREEN A Fixture

United-States
    A brilliant sculpt and top quality kit. Got mine about a week ago.

Jason
  10. Nap Moderator

England
    Hi Jason ...look forward to seeing your artwork

Nap
  11. tomifune A Fixture

United-States
    Super duper review as always of a top notch kit. I was not aware the skulls DNA were confirmed as the Frasers, thanks for that info.

Bob
  12. storm_zh Well-Known Member

China
    Great review as always! Thanks a lot for sharing this with us.
  13. Wayneb A Fixture

United-States
    This is a great review Nap.Really like the sculpt.Thanks for the historical info as well.

Wayne
  14. Old Pete Active Member

Scotland
    A Great review of a very nice bust but not to nitpick Wallace was never a rebel or a traitor since as he said when they allowed him to speak at his trial he was never a subject of the king of England.By the way he is thought to have been born in Elderslie just up the road from where I live
    Nemo, napoleonpeart and tomifune like this.
  15. Bigmick Active Member

United-Kingdom
    Excellent review as always Nap, I suppose I'll have to get one as I've pretty much got every other NP release, El Greco love me, the tartan always looks daunting to me but I'll give it a go, I have a cunning plan to get the weave pattern, if it doesn't go Pete tong I'll share it.

Mick.

Attached Files:

16. TERRYSOMME1916 A Fixture

United-Kingdom
    Great review and good subject the sculptor has done a fantastic job on this, I loved the film and the character but dont think I will buy this one as the pose is a little to static for my liking, if it had of had the facial expression in the picture above I would have snapped one up, however the guys at Nuts Planet produce quality work and I am sure this Bust will be extremely popular.
    TERRY
    napoleonpeart and Bigmick like this.
  17. Andy Garringer New Member

Nicely done piece.