1. Copying kits is a crime that hurts original artists & producers. Help support your favorite artists by buying their original works. PlanetFigure will not tolerate any activities related to recasting, and will report recasters to authorities. Thank you for your support!

William Wallace bust Part 3

Discussion in 'vBench (Works in Progress)' started by Mongo Mel, Sep 11, 2005.

1. Mongo Mel Active Member

United-States
    Hi guys,
    Sorry abut that description. Just couldn't resist :)
    I've got the eyes and the ear flaps done now as well as the highlights on the helmet. this one is going a bit slow but I like it so far.
    Craig
    PS: His left eye looks a bit odd because it was still wet and was catching a lot of the lighting in the room.

Attached Files:

2. Mongo Mel Active Member

United-States
    Another view...

Attached Files:

3. Mongo Mel Active Member

United-States
    And the whole bust...
    I also did some work on the face based on the comments I got from you good people. I gave him a pinker tone by adig a glaze of Winsor Newton Flesh Tint. Then I redid the shadows and the highlights a bit.
    As always I'd appreciate any thought you have on how it's looking.
    Thanks,
    Craig

Attached Files:

4. diosytexas Member

England
    hi craig. i'm a little behind on this one. a cracking effort on a top of my wish list bust. great job so far. dave
  5. Roy New Member

United-Kingdom
    Hi Craig, he looks like he's coming along really well.
    You've done a great job so far on the metals, the helmet is very realistic and worn.
    And I think the eyes are excellent. Looking forward to seeing the rest come together.

All the best.

Roy.
  6. megroot A Fixture

Netherlands
    Craig,

A marvelous job on the eyes and the helmet.
    For me, i find the skin to pink. Maybe it is the picture, but i liked the earlier skintone's more than these. Sorry, no hard feelings please.

Marc
  7. Mongo Mel Active Member

United-States
    Hi guys,
    Thanks for the feedback. It's much appreciated.
    Dave, I lucked out in finding an original casting of this piece at the IPMS Nationals in Atlanta this past July. I also found an original of the Robert the Bruce bust, also by Ft. Duquesne. The only problem with this one was the chain mail. there must have been a flaw in the mold that left a big blob of resin right on top of the mail on the back. Since I needed to repair it anyway, I decided to grind it all out. then I filled the void with epoxy putty and layed in lengths of cheap necklace to represent the mail. I'm really pleased at how this worked out for me.
    Marc, no problems. I understand what you're saying. The biggest problem with the original face (for me) was that the highlights were too hard to see. With this change, the highlights now show some contrast with the base tone.
    If I had thought things through a bit more when I started this bust, I wouldn't have undercoated the flesh with the Deep Portrait Pink. I've done this before and it allowed me to paint a paler skintone and still see the highlights.
    Thanks again guys :)
    Craig
  8. megroot A Fixture

Netherlands
    Craig,
    I don't want to borrow you, but maybe (for me) it looks to pink because the shadows are "to dark". I try to explain: The shadow is a deep dark colour, the base of the face is pale, and the highilght is almost white.
    Is it possible that the contrast between shadow and highlight is to big, what is stronger by the sharp edges of the wrinkless in the face?
    So i think (who am i) that soften the dark shadows may look the skintone not so pink.
    I hope that i have make myself understandeble.

Marc
  9. Guy A Fixture

United-States
    Fantastic Work Craig (y)
  10. Mongo Mel Active Member

United-States
    Hi Marc,
    I think I understand what you mean in your last post. Only problem is that at this stage I don't know how I'd go about lightening the shadows.
    And don't worry about bothering me with your comments. I appreciate hearing from you and the rest of the people here. I'm just happy that there are some of you out there that are willing to let me know what you think of my work.
    Thanks,
    Craig :)
  11. megroot A Fixture

Netherlands
    Craig,

I had this problem to with my Marcomanni. Gino Poppe adviced me to put in some white with a little touch of burnt umber to get away the clear white.
    Then a verry tinny spot of this mix in the exceptionel dried dark colour,
    let sit for a minute or two and with a flat brush whipe it out of the wrinkles. You will see it soften it just a little bit, but the hard edges are gone.
    It worked for me, why don't you try on a tinny wrinkle to see what's happens. If it don't work, you can always whipe it off.

Marc
  12. Mongo Mel Active Member

United-States
    Hi Marc,
    I won't be getting any painting in tonight but I'll try it soon and let you know how it works.
    Thanks for the tip :)
    Craig
  13. Jacek Spychalski Member

Poland
    Hi Craig !

Great paintwork ! And the eyes .............WOW ! :eek: :eek: :eek:

Best regards

Jacek
  14. Mongo Mel Active Member

United-States
    Here's another picture after I took Marc's suggestion on how to reduce the contrast of my deepest shadows. I really think it looks much better. Many thanks to you marc for your help (y)
    And thanks to you too Jacek for your kind comments.
    Craig

Attached Files:

15. rej Well-Known Member

Malta
    WOW :eek: !!! Excellent painting Craig on a superb sculpture..........love it ;)!!!

Regards,

Ray :)
  16. megroot A Fixture

Netherlands
    Yes,

Oke, Craig, in my opinion this is what you are looking for.
    Pale skin, with a good contrast between the highest highlights and the deepest shadows.
    I think you have done it.
    Great work. Now let's see what others think of it.
    I find it an outstanding face. (y) (y)

Marc.