1. Copying kits is a crime that hurts original artists & producers. Help support your favorite artists by buying their original works. PlanetFigure will not tolerate any activities related to recasting, and will report recasters to authorities. Thank you for your support!

Wild Bill

Discussion in 'vBench (Works in Progress)' started by chippy, Jan 13, 2015.

1. chippy Well-Known Member

United-Kingdom
    After a brilliant program on TV last week I decided to put away the plastic airplanes and get this kit out of my stash . A bust by Jaguar Models of Will Bill Hickok . Fit of parts on this kit are very good , the face is spot on and the clothing is well deigned as of the period, BUT one thing has always niggled me each time I've looked at this bust and that was the position of the pistol which is meant to be pushed into the waist band . I felt it was fat to high , so the first job was to reposition it lower down by drilling out a new hole and filling in the old one . That is now done and time to start painting . As yet I've no idea what I'm going to do other than the face because Hickok is described as having small blue eyes and fair hair .
    Chippy
    [IMG]

[IMG]
    Jamie Stokes, MCPWilk and Mike S. like this.
  2. Nap Moderator

England
    Hi Chippy ,

Is that a bust I see before me .....is it the one sculpted by Mike Good ..always liked it

Hope to see you painting this

Nap
  3. chippy Well-Known Member

United-Kingdom
    Painting as we type Nap(y) . Yes it the Mike Good one . He must have done some fine researching on it as it comes very close to the real Hickok on Google images , infact there's one image I'm sure this bust must be based on .
    chippy
    napoleonpeart likes this.
  4. Gaudin A Fixture

United-Kingdom
    He looks like a great bust to convert into Ian Johnson tribute ;)
  5. kansas kid Well-Known Member

United-States
    hello Chippy:
    Aw Matey, it takes me back to Deadwood. And this bust is
    one that I don't remember. Wishing good luck with this
    one, Gordon. I'll follow with interest. As the Wild West
    aspect of American History has always been of great
    interest to me.

The Miami Jayhawk
  6. elvis A Fixture

I have this bust....is fantastic
    :)
  7. John Belcher A Fixture

New_Zealand
    Look forward to see what you do with this excellent bust Chippy.

Regards,
    John:)
  8. Jimbo A Fixture

England
    Hi Chippy..welcome back to the dark side....figures rule!...even if it has no legs!;)
    Cheers
    Jim
  9. jenghiz Active Member

England
    Thanks Dimitry(Gaudin) !Fame at last.
    Gaudin likes this.
  10. chippy Well-Known Member

United-Kingdom
    Thanks for the replies Guys .
    Gaudin you are going to have to enlighten me but Who is Ian Johnson . Good to have your input Rickster (Kansas Kid) , I'll do my best for you as I know this guy played a major role around your part of the world of Kansas . N
    [IMG]

ice to hear you John but I doubt it come out as well as one of your masterpieces but it's proving fun . Jimbo my old mate do you know my first thought was what could Jim do with this . I think I would like SIX legs on the next one , Yes put him on a horse (y) only joking mate I just wanted to see you sweat :D:D .
    Anyway back to the bust , last night I blocked in the main
    colours . Once it was done I had the feeling there was just to much of the two main colo
    urs, the coat and shirt so today I have added a waistcoat to add another dimension to the bust and hopefully I c[IMG]
    an do something colourful with this area .
    chippy
  11. tonydawe A Fixture

Australia
    Nice work Chippy,

I like the fact that you're breaking up the colours and adding some variety to his clothing. From what I understand Hickock was a bit of a "dandy" and took his appearance very seriously, so it wouldn't surprise me if he wore a silk waistcoat or something a little bit fancy.
  12. Wayneb A Fixture

United-States
    Hello Chippy,
    Have this piece also for probably 3 yrs now.And have looked at it many times trying to decide what my next piece to paint will be.
    Casting is excellent.Haven't done any research on it yet and not sure what you mean about the pistol.The only thing that bothers me on this sculpt is the hat which I can't see in your pics.....but to me the top of the hat looks too short with not enough height to the hat and too low to cover his skull plus hair.I maybe wrong but it looks like it needs a bit more height not much but a little more.Like your painting though.I'm sure I will break away a bit from the box art also.
    Keep up the good work...... Just pulled mine out again..(kit that is) to give another look...( I don't have to go,just want to look at it:D.....Wayne
  13. chippy Well-Known Member

United-Kingdom
    Hi Tony , yes your correct Wild bill did seem to be a bit of a dandy in his time I think that is because we have become use to the Hollywood version of the West , Denim jeans check shirts and ten gallon hats .
    If you look a photos of this period you will see a lot more tweed , plain shirts, bowler hats than you would expect . plus the west was being populated by many European types of immigrants so this style of dress was not so uncommon as we think . Also almost every image I can find on WB shows him in a waistcoat or the complete opposite, in his scouting buckskins which are more likely taken when he was on stage with the Buffalo Bill Shows .
    Wayneb .quoted " not sure what you mean about the pistol." what I mean is some references say he wore two pistols reversed in a red sash . So if you imagine a pistol pushed into a sash it would be at least down to the trigger guard not like the kit with part of the barrel showing , it would keep falling out, top heavy . Like you I was unhappy with the hat and at one point added some extra to it, which I was not happy with, then I found an Image of WB that had the hat exactly like the kit so I took of what I had added and slapped some paint on it and I think it's fine . Maybe the only other thing I would do would to give the brim a bit of a flip on the front as he seemed to be a cocky sort of bloke .
    chippy
  14. Wayneb A Fixture

United-States
    Chippy.....Not sure but there might there may have been a leather belt under that sash.Not sure a sash could hold the weight of the pistol.I'm thinking that sash may have added to his so call dapper look......Just a thought.....Regards...Wayne
  15. Gaudin A Fixture

United-Kingdom
    Ian Johnson is kind of Cumbrian gunslinger, a legend in his own right. Better known as Jenghiz of Eden or Bane of White Rose:D
  16. Wayneb A Fixture

United-States
    Gaudin......Please explain....apparently you are a verbal wizard.And Nap likes it .So between the two of you,could you please bring into light for those of us that are interested in the above subject by Chippy instead of talking in tongues......o_O:wtf::D..........Regards.......Wayne..
  17. Gaudin A Fixture

United-Kingdom
    Ok, sorry, I may have built the suspense too much. Ian is a fellow modeller in White Rose club, renowned for knowledge on Mongol figures, Jenghiz on PF and and this bust bears quite a resemblance. Who ever has been to White Rose Christmas bash will know what I am talking about.
    My apologies to Chippy, it was not my intention to distract from the thread with an in-joke.
    Wayneb likes this.
  18. chippy Well-Known Member

United-Kingdom
    Quote by Gaudin "My apologies to Chippy, it was not my intention to distract from the thread with an in-joke." No need to apologies Gaudin , I think we were only looking for an explanation .
    I have a mate called Animal he runs a demolition company , seriously with his steel capped boots he can kick his way through a brick wall . When he gets dressed up to go out in his Cowboy boots and shoelace tie he looks just like WB but no one is brave enough to tell him what a pillock he looks :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO: :whistle: . Keep um coming .
    chippy
    Gaudin likes this.
  19. Jimbo A Fixture

England
    Chippy!!?...Six legs????....that's four legs to far for me mate!....Only thing I know about horses is they have holes at both ends & fart a lot;)
    Cheers
    Jim
    Scotty and Richie like this.
  20. Helm A Fixture

England
    Re the gun I believe it was probably a belly rig holster that the sash covered to keep up the "dandy" look Wild Bill favoured. Bit late to this one Chippy but it's looking very nice mate
    Steve