1. Copying kits is a crime that hurts original artists & producers. Help support your favorite artists by buying their original works. PlanetFigure will not tolerate any activities related to recasting, and will report recasters to authorities. Thank you for your support!

Completed Critique Wight Lord

Discussion in 'vBench (Works in Progress)' started by kagemusha, Oct 9, 2013.

1. kagemusha A Fixture

United-Kingdom
    Picked this one up at Euro, on the 'MDC' stand. Thought it would be fun to play around with pastels etc., for weathering and ageing. Really nice sculpt and cast, very reasonable at £20.
    Be interested to hear what you think.

IMG_0766.jpg IMG_0767.jpg IMG_0768.jpg IMG_0770.jpg IMG_0772.jpg IMG_0774.jpg IMG_0775.jpg IMG_0776.jpg

Cheers

Ron
    stoffy01, DEL, Babelfish and 7 others like this.
  2. Tubby-Nuts2 A Fixture

United-Kingdom
    Ron,... Now this! .. I really do like!. Superb work,.. . A Roman, (walking dead). judging by the nameplate! highly unusual, and a great piece. Your. so called playing with 'Pastels', has definitely paid dividends. Very subtle, and muted colours! ... I do like the blind eye,.. giving contrast to the other! ... (y)(y) Excellent job!

Regards,

Mark
  3. smudger1960 PlanetFigure Supporter

United-Kingdom
    Hi Ron,i really like this, pastels are lovely things to work with, you can get some great effects with them like you've done here,i like the green coloured skin and eyes, very nice Ron (y)
  4. FigureLover A Fixture

Australia
    Some evil, deathly looking tones in this one. Great work and pastels are the way to go with this sort of shadowing
    Ben
  5. kagemusha A Fixture

United-Kingdom
    Hi Mark, many thanks for your comments mate. Here is a snippet from the description of a 'Wight' Lord from MDC's site....

"But sometimes, in cases so rare they were legends even in the times of legend, a Wight will rise from his grave to right a wrong against the land itself, to save his descendants from a great peril, or to punish those who desecrate what once was his. These rarest of the risen dead are known as Wight Lords."
    It gives you an idea of why I portrayed him this way.

Cheers

Ron
  6. kagemusha A Fixture

United-Kingdom
    Hi Brian, thanks for that mate.
    I really enjoy playing with pastels, love the subtle tones and effects that other mediums can't give you. Hardest part is fixing them without losing the tonal values.

Cheers

Ron
  7. kagemusha A Fixture

United-Kingdom
    Hi Ben, and thanks for positive comments.
    I do agree that pastels lend themselves to this kind of effect very well.
    I want to try and bring them into more of my pieces, in other areas, as opposed to just weathering.

Cheers

Ron
  8. Tubby-Nuts2 A Fixture

United-Kingdom
    That makes sense! ... as the word 'Wight',.. was a Tolkien, adaption of Draugr, (Old Nordic)... 'After walker', or more simplistic the 'Walking dead! ... (y) ... so you have this piece 'Bang on', the description. Top work!

Mark
  9. kagemusha A Fixture

United-Kingdom
    It may also interest you to know.....although you probably already do.....the word on the sign...'Ultio'.....is Latin for 'Revenge'.....again, to tie in with the description.

Ron
  10. Ron Tamburrini A Fixture

United-Kingdom
    Really cool !! this sort of stuff makes a welcome break from the precision painting ,and there is a lot off it about all around the twenty quid mark.
    I am going to pick something up like this next week at the IPMS show in Glasgow.

Nice one Ron C

Ron T
  11. kagemusha A Fixture

United-Kingdom
    Thanks Mr T, much appreciated.
    If MDC are there, have a look, as they had some really nice pieces. Figures as well as busts mate.

Cheers

Ron C
  12. davidmitchell A Fixture

Scotland
    Great work Ron on this,think I will give these a closer look aswell .

Cheers David
  13. kagemusha A Fixture

United-Kingdom
    Thanks David, and do have a look at some of their stuff, I think you would enjoy the diversity.

Cheers

Ron
  14. Helm A Fixture

England
    Nice one Ron I really like what you've done here, yeah MDC do some really nice stuff . They are very reasonably priced too, I'm currently doing a bust from them I'll put it in WIP at some point
    Steve
  15. kagemusha A Fixture

United-Kingdom
    Hi Steve, and thanks mate.
    I was very surprised at what they had to offer at Euro, and very taken with the range of subjects. Good service and prices that are excellent value.
    Look forward to seeing what your working on soon.

Regards

Ron
  16. John Bowery A Fixture

United-States
    Ron,
    Decidedly different and very ghoulish.
    Cheers
    John
  17. Chris Mortimer Active Member

New_Zealand
    Hey mate. Very cool. I havnt got anything different to say that hasn't already been said. Very well done
  18. megroot A Fixture

Netherlands
    Excellent work on this one.

marc
  19. kagemusha A Fixture

United-Kingdom
    Many thanks John, nice one for looking in mare.

Hi Chris, all good and thank you.

Mark, much appreciated as always.

Cheers guys

Ron
  20. garyhiggins A Fixture

England
    Hi Ron, Mark linked this on another thread, it's ghoulishly brilliant(y)(y)(y). I've never thought of using pastels in relation to figures, how do you use them?
    Best wishes, Gary.