1. Copying kits is a crime that hurts original artists & producers. Help support your favorite artists by buying their original works. PlanetFigure will not tolerate any activities related to recasting, and will report recasters to authorities. Thank you for your support!

White balance experience.

Discussion in 'Photography' started by pmfs, May 5, 2012.

1. pmfs A Fixture

Portugal
    Hi!

Today I grabed my old Fujifilm S5700 7.1MP and make an experience, take 3 distinctive pictures to an old work.
    All pictures are taken with tripod over a white blackground in daylight with indirect light.
    All 3 pics with macro option, manual exposure, FStop 3,5 / ISO 100 / Exposure 1/5 seconds / sharpness soft / photometry Multi / AF mode Center / Focusing single AF / Flash compensation +/-0 / Bracketing +/- 2/3
    I dont use photoshop. Only cut and resize my photos with windows vista program.
    Please dont comment the work is not the point, only the photos quality trying to see the diference between the 3 examples:
    The 1st pic is with Custom white balance, my favourite
    The second is with auto white balance
    The third is with good weather (sun) white balance
    What is your favourite?
    Suggested improvements?
    Hope this can help anyone seeing the diference when we choosed the custom wb.
    Thanks for you time!

Pedro

Attached Files:

2. John Long Active Member

United-States
    I believe I like photo 2 the best.
    pmfs likes this.
  3. billyturnip A Fixture

England
    For me it's between 1 & 2, perhaps 1 has the edge slightly.

Roger.
    pmfs likes this.
  4. gothicgeek A Fixture

United-Kingdom
    1 but 2 is very nice
    pmfs likes this.
  5. Mike Stevens PlanetFigure Supporter

United-States
    2 for me
    pmfs likes this.
  6. megroot A Fixture

Netherlands
    2 for me. the first is on the blueish side, and nmr 3 is somewhat greyish.
    The neutral of the 3 is nmr 2.

Marc
    pmfs likes this.
  7. Kreston Active Member

United-States
    Number 2.
    pmfs likes this.
  8. pmfs A Fixture

Portugal
    Dear all, thank so much for comment.(y)

Pedro
  9. Piotrec Active Member

United-States
    I think number 2 is my favourite, but it seems your pictures are little bit out of focus. Try close the aperture much more, F3.5 is definately too wide. All of them are also underexposed.
    pmfs likes this.
  10. pmfs A Fixture

Portugal
    But with more aperture I need more light?
    I will try next time an aperture over F5.
    Thanks for your time.

Pedro
  11. Piotrec Active Member

United-States
    Yes, you will need more light. Here is the thumb rule. Your exposure was F3.5 and 1/5s. To keep the same exposure (this example is underexposed) with a deeper depth of field, you need to increase the aperture by few steps and decrease the shutter speed by the same amount of steps.

I do not know your camera, but if your next aperture size is F4, you increased it by one step. So to keep the same exposure at F4 as the one above you have to decrease the shutter speed from 1/5s by one step as well. In your camera the next slower shutter release could be 1/3s or 1/2s. If I quessed it right, the F3.5, 1/5s exposure should give you the same amount of light as F4, 1/2s.

I am not a good teacher, then please forgive me, if I could not express myself clear enough. If you have more questions, do not hesitate to ask.

One more thing. The aperture at f5 might not be enough. Practice with a larger numbers as well.
    pmfs likes this.
  12. pmfs A Fixture

Portugal
    Piotr, I understand perfectly, I will test with large numbers, the camera goes to F13.6 I think?!
    I will Keep in touch and and show the results.
    Thanks again.
    Pedro
  13. pmfs A Fixture

Portugal
    Follow Piotr´s advise I take a new pictures:
    Photo 1 - Fstop 5,6 shutter speed 0,77 sec ISO 64
    Photo 2 - Fstop 6.3 shutter speed 0,77 sec ISO 100 my favourite.
    I think they much better, maybe another background colour with indirect artificial lights?
    What you think?

Attached Files:

14. megroot A Fixture

Netherlands
    I really can't see no difference. But for maximum sharping I should go for the ISO 64...that's the KODACHROME I always used before the digital era.

Marc
  15. billyturnip A Fixture

England
    I'm glad you said that Marc because I couldn't see any difference either.

Roger.
  16. Piotrec Active Member

United-States
    Guys you can not see the difference between these pictures and the first post or just between the new pictures?

The difference is there, but slight. Pedro, try a much larger number of the aperture. Maybe from f11. Make sure your camera is very stable on the tripod. The other reason why the difference is not very noticeable is the macro mode. It is much harder to improce the depth of field in this mode. Try to turn it off for testing.

Best of luck with practicing. It is all about practice.
  17. billyturnip A Fixture

England
    pmfs likes this.
  18. pmfs A Fixture

Portugal
    Marc, Roger many thanks for your time comment this topic, but there are diferent the second have a little more light.
    When I though start this thread my goal is learning more about how to photograph miniatures but also for beginners like me and those who are not happy with his photos.
    Piotr, many thanks for the knowledge and the interest in helping.
    The camera in full manual goes from F3.5 to F11,3 if I choose the f11,3, the exposure time is "2 more or less the camera will stay enough time taking the photo.
    I will desactivate the macro option next time to see what happen.

Thanks guy´s!

Pedro
  19. ChaosCossack A Fixture

Canada
    #2 looks best to me... when u say "indirect lighting" is that reflected lighting? What kind of light source are u using?

Cheers

Colin
    pmfs likes this.
  20. Piotrec Active Member

United-States
    Pedro, thank you. I am glad, I could help.
    pmfs likes this.