1. Copying kits is a crime that hurts original artists & producers. Help support your favorite artists by buying their original works. PlanetFigure will not tolerate any activities related to recasting, and will report recasters to authorities. Thank you for your support!

what things influence your decisions?

Discussion in 'General Figure Talk' started by mrbeanhq, Feb 9, 2018.

1. mrbeanhq New Member

Hi.

I'm still pretty new to the whole display painting idea, having spent too many years on Games Workshop products (and I apologise for using those words. It won't happen again).

I've noticed my painting change the past two years buy I'm intrigued as to how others choose what type of plinth to use to display their work.

Now, coming from a more fantasy/sci-fi oriented painting background I've noticed that the painters I often see work by involve quite elaborate basing where the limited contact with historical pieces seem to be framed tightly with a bit of ground work and major focus on the miniature.

So basically, what things influence your decisions?
    Perseas and John Bowery like this.
  2. winfield Active Member

Great question. I only do mostly historic subjects. I consider environment to be part of the narrative, so I tend toward more than the little bit of ground you accurately describe as more common. Concern plinths, I try to match it with the subject. Some are simple, so a simple, nothing out of the ordinary base I find to be appropriate. A more complex or unusual piece, say with action or needing more environment to get the point across may result in something different. I need to point out that common wisdom on the subject says nothing should detract from the figure, and so minimal groundwork is in order. I understand this. It just does not work for me. Hope helps and does not confuse.--Steve
    Perseas likes this.
  3. valiant A Fixture

United-Kingdom
    I keep the groundwork to a minimum, just because I don't like doing it.....!(y)
  4. Blind Pew A Fixture

United-Kingdom
    Exactly! Although I do admire exponents of the art. (y)
    Perseas and valiant like this.
  5. John Bowery A Fixture

United-States
    I like to see the fantasy groundwork and the wonderful colours they paint them with the idea of using some of the
    techniques on my bases. I think it works well with doing some fantasy figures with the help of their techniques. I have used some of those toned down colours on some wood bases as rocks/stones etc. Since it is fantasy any thing goes. WWI figures if set in a trench usually have more details/complexity in them. Just my opinion.
    Cheers
    John
    Perseas likes this.
  6. Wayneb A Fixture

United-States
    Balance...........
    Perseas likes this.
  7. Helm A Fixture

England
    I on the other hand like to use it as it takes the eye away from the mess I made of the figure :unsure:
    Steve
  8. valiant A Fixture

United-Kingdom
    Steve - Dont do yourself down , mate!!(y)
    Perseas likes this.
  9. Helm A Fixture

England
    I don't have to, I have a wife who does it for me :cautious:
    Steve
    Perseas, winfield and valiant like this.
  10. chippy Well-Known Member

United-Kingdom
    Hi mrbeanhq , there are quite a few reasons for choosing different types of ground work on bases , 1/ bring out the colours of the figure 2/ trying to represent the terrain the figure was likely to be in . Take a look at some of the WW1 figures set in trenches . 3/ If the figure is a straight up and down parade figure even a few cobble stones or paving slabs help set it off . 5/ Basically to give the figure a time and place . Hope that helps ;)
    chippy
    Perseas, Blind Pew and John Bowery like this.
  11. Oda A Fixture

Ground work can make or brake a figure.A mediocre figure on a good base looks much better than expected while a fantastic figure on a mediocre base looses half of its glory.

Oda.
    winfield, Perseas and Blind Pew like this.
  12. Forté A Fixture

United-Kingdom
    Story.

That's the main thing that drives my basing thoughts as I see the miniature, basing, and plinth as a complete picture so usually build them all up at the same time. This also helps with my painting decisions as it helps set the mood and light direction.
    winfield, Perseas and Blind Pew like this.
  13. Wayneb A Fixture

United-States

Yes....Very important to try to visualize the overall finished piece as you're working. And that includes a balance and a presentation that is pleasing to the eye....And I think that applies to pretty much any scale.

Wayne
    Forté likes this.
  14. mrbeanhq New Member

15. Mirofsoft A Fixture

Belgium
    The weather ....:D
  16. southpier New Member

United-States
    some display bases get away with bringing the detail right to, and often over, the edges. I like to see a bare, or sparse, border around the focal point to emphasize just like a fairly generous mat on a picture. this allows some contrast, and I think better appreciation, of the subject.