1. Copying kits is a crime that hurts original artists & producers. Help support your favorite artists by buying their original works. PlanetFigure will not tolerate any activities related to recasting, and will report recasters to authorities. Thank you for your support!

Completed Critique Western Front 1917-1918

Discussion in 'vBench (Works in Progress)' started by megroot, Dec 11, 2013.

1. megroot A Fixture

Netherlands
    Completed this evening this awesome figure from Jon Smith.
    It is a German NCO on the western front 1917 - 1918.
    As always completed with oilpaint, the trench is half self maded.
    I don't know if it is finished. You can always go furter with the trench, but it holds me up for two months now. Maybe some little spots ( as the camera shows) to correct but that's how it is for the moment.
    As always my pictures are not as good as I want. The closeups let see the more true colors.
    Any comment is welcome, good or bad. western front 001 (Medium).jpg western front 002 (Medium).jpg western front 003 (Medium).jpg western front 004 (Medium).jpg western front 005 (Medium).jpg western front 006 (Medium).jpg western front 007 (Medium).jpg western front 008 (Medium).jpg
  2. Figurenfreund66 Well-Known Member

Germany
    cool stuff !

Hendryk
  3. Tarracus A Fixture

Very nice work Marc. You could easily call it finished without any problem(y)
  4. billyturnip A Fixture

England
    Very nice Marc. (y)

Roger.
  5. ACCOUNT_DELETED A Fixture

Canada
    Wonderful. Shows a real human lost in the hell of the trenches and not the usual super soldier.

Excellent

Colin
    billyturnip likes this.
  6. DEL A Fixture

Scotland
    Excellent job Marc, great atmosphere.(y)
    Only suggestion is perhaps some 'seepage' through the trench walls.
    Will be looking for a couple of WW1 pieces at H von B next year and Jon Smiths are right in the frame.
    Cheers
    Derek
  7. megroot A Fixture

Netherlands
    Thanks guys for the very positive comments.

Derek: do you mean about the seepage some spots to look trough. But there is a periscope so that doesn't include for me that there shoul be no seepage. And a sniper could kill trough these hole's.

Marc
  8. Mike Stevens PlanetFigure Supporter

United-States
    Nice work Marc
  9. DEL A Fixture

Scotland
    No Marc ,as in what happens if the thumb gets pulled out of the dyke ;) , here's the Wiki definition http://en.wiktionary.org/wiki/seepage.
  10. bwildfong Well-Known Member

Canada
    Nice job Marc - really like the atmosphere you've created here; the greenish tinge on the moldering sandbags is especially effective. I think Del's right too; some water seeping from between the bags would be a neat consideration.

Thanks for sharing it with us.

Cheers,

Brian
  11. John Bowery A Fixture

United-States
    Marc,
    That is a very sad looking piece of work. Sad meaning he is existing in terrible conditions and fed up to the hilt with the war. Great work and emotional piece.
    Cheers
    John
  12. Fokionas Well-Known Member

Greece
    Very very nice! I have painted the same figure- perhaps the best in
    JSM series- and I have included it in the big trench diorama ,but not even close at your level!
    You are really capturing the sadness of trench war......
    Fokion
  13. Ulrich A Fixture

Germany
    Great looking figure. Perhaps the fieldgrey is a little bit to grey. But that could be a problem with the photos. I have the whole scene with the two figures, the big trench and the ohter parts here. At the moment I have no idea to place the trench on a base
  14. blabsy PlanetFigure Supporter

United-Kingdom
    Hi Marc,
    its always nice to one of Jon's works painted they are classics in their own lunchtime,and you've done this justice!
    Best Regards
    Paul
  15. megroot A Fixture

Netherlands
    Thanks again for all the nice comments.
    I think I gonna do something more with leaking water trough the sandbags.....
    Thanks Derek and Brian.

Marc
  16. Blind Pew A Fixture

United-Kingdom
    Marc a nice job on a classic figure.
    This is one of those figures that look easy at first, but in fact they're anything but.(y)
  17. REVENGE Well-Known Member

Belgium
    Nice job Marc. ik zou de achtergrond donkerder maken .meer contrast.

THE FIGUR IS SUPERPAINTED;)
  18. John Belcher A Fixture

New_Zealand
    Excellent work Marc. I love the glasses(y)

John.
  19. Dan Morton A Fixture

United-States
    I've seen this figure painted at least a dozen times and I think you caught a completely different expression on the soldier's face. Now that is hard to do! Beautiful job, Marc!

My only critique is related to the trench - It's much too low to be protective. I think he's meant to be standing with his back to the parados (rear wall of the trench). Parados might be the same height as the fire step side of the trench or a little lower, but not that low.

All the best,
    Dan
  20. brian A Fixture

Scotland
    Great job Marc.A cracking scene.
    Brian