1. Copying kits is a crime that hurts original artists & producers. Help support your favorite artists by buying their original works. PlanetFigure will not tolerate any activities related to recasting, and will report recasters to authorities. Thank you for your support!

Way out of my confort zone (Black Watch at Waterloo )

Discussion in 'Brutal Honesty - Critique Center' started by oniria, Dec 1, 2014.

1. oniria A Fixture

Spain
    Hi all.
    Thank you for your comments and interest in the diced bonnet issue.
    I've checked other versions of this figure and all have painted the diced bonnet in red/white/green.
    The lapels and facings are also in blue (I guess because it's a royal regiment). This particular figures represents a Standard bearer in Waterloo 1815.
    Bablefish: This is my first try painting a tartan and flag on a figure bigger than 28mm,. It's just a matter of going for it knowing that it will be a trial and error tour de force.
    Bimmer3.5csl and Scotty like this.
  2. Ferris A Fixture

Yes I'd say this is "pretty decent"....

Man it's terrific! Cannot find anything to criticise!

Cheers,
    Adrian
  3. yoshi Well-Known Member

Netherlands
    I think you should and could be very proud. I love it.
  4. smudger1960 PlanetFigure Supporter

United-Kingdom
    Great work Kevin,you should paint in this scale more often,congratulations
  5. Markster Member

United-States
    beautiful !!!
  6. Chrisr PlanetFigure Supporter

Australia
    That's a fantastic effort.
  7. Viking Bob PlanetFigure Supporter

United-Kingdom
    I wish I could paint like that out of my comfort zone, terrific painting. A very nice figure and you've made a good job.
    Regards
    Bob
    clrsgt likes this.
  8. Blind Pew A Fixture

United-Kingdom
    Excellent stuff. In fact I really do fancy this figure now having seen yours - highest compliment I can think of.
  9. Graham A Fixture

England
    Beautiful work. I now have a flag to do, thankfully not as complex as yours. Great painting.
  10. mick3272 A Fixture

A great job all around. I have had a look at what Carl Franklin has in his Book and and he is saying Red/white/Green. I have two other books that just say dice on the bonnet of all Scottish Reg is Red/White /green. but does not mention 42nd in particular. So I would stick with what you have. Well done.

Mick
  11. Huw63 A Fixture

If I could paint this well in my comfort zone... Superb I think.

Cheers

Huw
  12. Old Pete Active Member

Scotland
    Up until the formation of the Royal Regiment of Scotland,all Scottish Royal regiments had red white and blue dice all the others had red white and green except The Argyll,s who had red and white.the Queens Own Cameron Highlanders had red white and green until they became the Queen,s Own when it changed to red white and blue
  13. badger Well-Known Member

Scotland
    fantastic paint job,well done. as for painting advice,barrie hynd is the expert on black watch uniforms,i would always follow his advice./badger
  14. BarrieHynd Well-Known Member

Scotland
    barrie hynd is the expert on black watch uniforms ./badger

Dont think so mate. As you can see from some of the posts, there is conflicting evidence on the diced band.
    This is still a well painted up figure from Oniria and one of the best I have seen.

Barrie.
  15. badger Well-Known Member

Scotland
    now now barrie,don't be shy,you are one of the most reliable people to speak to as regards the black watch,and yes your right,the painted up figure is excellent,even more so as the painter is not used to painting in this scale. I am completely jealous./badger
  16. mark126804 Active Member

United-States
    Very nice. Great work.

Mark
  17. clrsgt A Fixture

United-States
    I am working on this figure now and I heartily second Viking Bob's comment.
  18. OldTaff PlanetFigure Supporter

England
    Absolutely great work; very well done!

Alan
  19. Chrisr PlanetFigure Supporter

Australia
    If that is out of your comfort zone, I'd love to see the work you do when you are working in it. That is superb.

Chris
  20. peedee A Fixture

United-Kingdom
    Like it?.....

The models fine. It's YOUR painting that is AWESOME young sir.

An amazing piece.

Paul.
    Huw63 likes this.