1. Copying kits is a crime that hurts original artists & producers. Help support your favorite artists by buying their original works. PlanetFigure will not tolerate any activities related to recasting, and will report recasters to authorities. Thank you for your support!

Waterloo 1815 - The Art of Battle

Discussion in '"Today in History", Literature & Media Review' started by Mat Lambert, Aug 25, 2015.

1. Mat Lambert A Fixture

United-Kingdom
    I got to the Royal Armouries in Leeds this weekend to see the exhibition Waterloo 1815: The Art of Battle. It explored the battle through four major paintings together with objects from the collection. There was a very impressive preparatory drawing for the mural painted in the Houses of Westminster of Blucher meeting Wellington - so big I can only imagine it being a unique opportunity to see this fantastic work. As the exhibition has now finished I can't see the harm in showing my photos and have uploaded them to Flickr so those who weren't lucky enough to go can see what was there. You can see them at the link here...
    https://www.flickr.com/gp/134893154@N08/Z9jGi5

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1440546968.088251.jpg ImageUploadedByTapatalk1440546994.099460.jpg ImageUploadedByTapatalk1440547019.511372.jpg

Cheers
    Mat
  2. smudger1960 PlanetFigure Supporter

United-Kingdom
    Thanks for the link mat,some very nice artefacts :)
    Mat Lambert likes this.
  3. Mat Lambert A Fixture

United-Kingdom
    Yes there were - unfortunately didn't quite get everything - bit annoyed with myself now as there weren't so many to have got the lot - was trying to find a balance between obsessively photographing everything and enjoying the real items while they were in front of me!
    Cheers
    Mat
  4. Huw63 A Fixture

Thanks for sharing Mat. There's a book called "Waterloo Relics" published by Histoire and Collections which is superb if you wish to see more artefacts.

Always a dilemma whether to enjoy or take pictures. The late Shep Paine once told me he never took photos at shows as getting the photos right detracted from enjoyment of the piece.

Cheers
    Huw
    napoleonpeart and Mat Lambert like this.
  5. Claude Portsmouth Active Member

Hi Matt-you really should came over the Pennines to Leeds some time!?

I had the pleasure of seeing this back in July with the White Rose Club. It was the clubs second visit to the Armouries and we also get the opportunity to handle some of the artefacts behind the scenes as part of the club tour.
    The black and white drawing is amazing and you have to see it to understand the sheer scale of the piece. It was also interesting to be told of the many mistakes in the drawing pointed out by the tour guide. The artist went to Chatham? in the 1860's where these national treasures used to be stored and was given access to Waterloo artifacts, unfortunately there was little understanding at the time as to which were French and which English so the artist just copied what was there. Ivo Preda gave an interesting talk at Stresa on a number of well known paintings by various artists where similar mistakes had been made. It really shows how lucky we are with the availability of modern research.

Claude
    Mat Lambert likes this.
  6. Claude Portsmouth Active Member

I think the Cuirass with the cannon ball having passed through it is the standout piece in the exhibition-It is a star exhibit at the Paris Museum and was on loan to Leeds. It is I think the piece that stays in the mind.

Claude
    Mat Lambert likes this.
  7. Mat Lambert A Fixture

United-Kingdom
    Hi Claude
    Yes, I really must get to the White Rose - sounds like you do some great activities there. It must be a real privilege to get close to theses items. Thanks for your interesting observations about the paintings - there was an interactive touchscreen in the exhibition that my kids used for quite a while , flipping between the drawing and the final painting, trying to 'spot the differences' - there were more than a few! So maybe some were changes to the uniforms for more accuracy.
    Cheers
    Mat
  8. Mat Lambert A Fixture

United-Kingdom
    I agree Claude, the breastplate is stunning. Conveys the mix of violence and pageantry of the day so well. I was able to see it in Paris last year as well but think it looked even better in Leeds.
    Cheers
    Mat