1. Copying kits is a crime that hurts original artists & producers. Help support your favorite artists by buying their original works. PlanetFigure will not tolerate any activities related to recasting, and will report recasters to authorities. Thank you for your support!

WIP Critique Warriors' Colonel of the Confederacy

Discussion in 'vBench (Works in Progress)' started by ACCOUNT_DELETED, Apr 7, 2013.

1. ACCOUNT_DELETED A Fixture

Canada
    Dusting another figure off from my grey army. This is the controversial Warriors' figure (120mm) of Confederate Colonel J.B. Gordon, clearly inspired by an atmospheric Don Troiani limited edition print. As I understand it, Mr. Troiani threatened to litigate and Warriors withdrew the item, not having the financial resources or perhaps the stomach for a lengthy legal battle. I have my own views on whether Mr. Troiani's claim had legal merit, and its a bit sad that the case was not tested in court. But at least I got a copy before the item was no longer available.

This shows a few hours of work on the face. Its still pretty rough but it is getting there.

P1010004.JPG P1010005.JPG P1010006.JPG P1010002.JPG P1010003.JPG

I have also included a shot of the original Troiani painting included as a magazine cover and a copy of Gordon's signature (not from my collection)....mostly because I like historical paper. I am trying to think of a good way to integrate such autographs with my base labelling. Shouldn't be too hard.

TroianiDon-ColonelOfTheConfederacy-sj.jpg 31656-1_01.jpg

Colin
  2. Wings5797 A Fixture

France
    A great start Colin.
    A really nice figure and facinating back ground......Lucky you for getting one.
    Watching with interest Mate.
    Cheers,
    Keith
    crf likes this.
  3. JasonB Moderator

United-States
    One of the figures I constantly miss on E-bay. I think Troiani was a major wanker for his stance against figs being modeled on his paintings. Copying his paintings and printing it, I can see him getting upset about, but its not like someone buying figs is deciding between buying the original figure and the original print. Totally different markets.
  4. Helm A Fixture

England
    crf likes this.
  5. megroot A Fixture

Netherlands
    Very good start Colin.
    Looking forward to the next pictures.

Marc
    crf likes this.
  6. tiberius57 A Fixture

Canada
    Very Nice! Another SBS from you! It's a subject (confederates) that will land on my workbench pretty soon. I'm very interested on how you will treat the uniform. As many details as possible on paint mixtures are more then appreciated.
    Thanks Colin and will follow closely, as usually! :)
    Cheers,
    Zeno :)
    crf likes this.
  7. ACCOUNT_DELETED A Fixture

Canada
    Will do Zeno - this is my first confederate so we can learn together :)

Colin
    tiberius57 likes this.
  8. DEL A Fixture

Scotland
    A helluva lot better than "a bit rough" Colin.
    Careful how you proceed with the colours.....you might have the pigment police at your door ;)
    Looking forward to seeing it proceed.
    Cheers
    Derek
    ChaosCossack, tiberius57 and crf like this.
  9. tiberius57 A Fixture

Canada
    Looking forward Colin! (y) Never tackled the subject either! Completely new ground.
    BTW. You started with the collar. What did you used?
    Zeno
    crf likes this.
  10. ACCOUNT_DELETED A Fixture

Canada
    One of the best references to the uniforms of the ACW is the Time/Life 2-volume "Echoes of Glory." I think these are generally available at reasonable cost on on-line book services like ABE. I have a included a couple of shots of relevant of pages - every page in these books is in colour.

Image1.jpg P1010001.jpg P1010002.jpg P1010003.jpg P1010004.jpg P1010005.jpg

Also, I thought I would indicate the colours I used on his face so you get an idea what paints and inks I draw on. You can also see the half eaten of baked beans that totally appalled my children - they call it bomb shelter food! Poorly brought up.

P1010007.JPG

Colin
  11. ACCOUNT_DELETED A Fixture

Canada
    Just a Vallejo oxford blue base coat - consistent with the photos I posted above, I am going to heep the infantry blue piping and facings darker and duller than the luminious sky blue you see on may confederate figures.

Colin
    captnenglish likes this.
  12. captnenglish Well-Known Member

United-States
    That's what I do
    tiberius57 and crf like this.
  13. tiberius57 A Fixture

Canada
    Cool! Thanks Colin! (y)
    I like the bomb shelter food ideea. No moment wasted... 2-3 brush strokes... some backed beans... 4-5 brush strokes... a beer... more beans... love this patern. :LOL:
    Zeno
    crf likes this.
  14. ACCOUNT_DELETED A Fixture

Canada
    Better photos - face mostly done. Still need to shade hair. I may need to lighten the two deep vertical furrows in the centre of his brow - they don't look as bold in real life though.

a.jpg b.jpg c.jpg d.jpg e.jpg

Colin
  15. tiberius57 A Fixture

Canada
    (y)
    crf likes this.
  16. Ron Tamburrini A Fixture

United-Kingdom
    This is looking good Colin Troiani should be well pleased:rolleyes: watch you don't get sued :eek:
    Be carful to change some small detail :D

Ron
    crf likes this.
  17. ACCOUNT_DELETED A Fixture

Canada
    I will just make sure I do a better job than him. That will make him happy. :p

Colin
    ChaosCossack and Helm like this.
  18. Filipe Well-Known Member

Brazil
    I bought this figure here at pF, i will follow with interest. Great start :)
    crf likes this.
  19. Ron Tamburrini A Fixture

United-Kingdom
    (y):ROFLMAO:
    crf likes this.
  20. Wings5797 A Fixture

France
    Nice work Colin.
    Good to have close ups of the great face developments.
    Following with interest.
    Cheers,
    Keith