1. Copying kits is a crime that hurts original artists & producers. Help support your favorite artists by buying their original works. PlanetFigure will not tolerate any activities related to recasting, and will report recasters to authorities. Thank you for your support!

Warrior of the Wald

Discussion in 'vBench (Works in Progress)' started by Lancer, Aug 5, 2009.

1. Lancer Active Member

Here is Pegaso's Suebian Warrior in 75mm!
    There was a suggestion when I finished the Viking piece below, [IMG]

that snow would have been nice, so I've added a light frost to this piece.

I'll probably still dust up his legs with snow, but for now I'm done! Always appreciate your input!
    Cheers
    Mark
    [IMG]

[IMG]

[IMG]

[IMG]

[IMG]

[IMG]
  2. Tecumsea PlanetFigure Supporter

England
    Hi Mark, Great work on both pieces....how do you do those trees? the groundwork is first class. Very brave colour on the trousers! maybe a bit clean looking but a dusting of snow/frost will help to fit them into the piece.

Keith
  3. Einion Well-Known Member

Nice work on setting the figures into a mini landscape Mark, meant to comment on the Viking when you posted it previously that it had some really lovely groundwork that set off the figure nicely.

On the Suebian the first thing that struck me though is the electric green trousers! Many green fabrics of the time would have been more olive than truly green; a good green was usually achieved with blue overdyed onto yellow (e.g. woad over weld) which isn't nearly as bright as we can get greens today.

Something about this colour might be a good target generally speaking (many would be lots duller though) and this is as bright as we should aim for, except for expensive silks perhaps.

Einion
  4. housecarl Moderator

United-Kingdom
    Brrrrrrriliant, love them both. Your ground work on the pair is superb.
    Carl.
  5. John Bowery A Fixture

United-States
    Mark,
    Nice figure and great base and the frost looks good.
    Cheers
    John
  6. Lancer Active Member

Thanks All
    Hi Einion, I see your point about the electric green, unfortunately I'm color blind so for the most part I have to use colors straight from the tube. I can tell from your photo links that those greens are duller and darker! Perhaps a different shade would have worked better but any colors that requires paint mixing are a major problem for me. I used a medium green and added lighter and darker greens which I guess in this case didn't work out so well! However I appreciate the input and I'll make a note in my color files about those colors so I don't make the mistake again on future projects. :)
    Cheers
    Mark
  7. FigureLover A Fixture

Australia
    Beautiful ground work, absolutely amazing. I agree with the others about the green pants, but I have to commend you on the rest of the figure, even if you are colour blind!!!
    Ben
  8. Einion Well-Known Member

Ah. In that case I'd suggest trying to mix greens from ochre or yellow + either black or French Ultramarine - guaranteed to give you greens on the duller side (very dull for ochre + black). Mixing directly to a dull colour like this avoids any need to mess with adding a complement or some grey, to lower chroma.

Red-green colourblindness BTW?

Einion
  9. Lancer Active Member

10. Einion Well-Known Member

Welcome, glad to try to help.

FWIW I'd never have guessed you were colourblind from the pics of your work :)

I wouldn't sweat this too much; many painters use colour in a fairly uniform, standardised way and while it may not lead to the most 'arty' colour that's not a goal for many people who can see colour normally. Concentrate on values, they're more important than the hue and chroma anyway.

If you don't have someone you can run colours past in the flesh you can always take a pic - the colour rendition in your photos looks pretty good (although the Viking shot above is a little yellow) and they're enough to get input before committing yourself to the final paintwork if you'd like.

If you don't own a tube violet you could just follow a simple recipe to mix a violet; any dark blue + nearly any red will mix some kind of violet. A simple shading routine of lightening with white or a light flesh colour and darkening with a modest amount of black or dark grey should work okay.

[IMG]

Einion
  11. Lancer Active Member

Thanks Einon
    Your purple is a formula I can work with!!! I can work those colors out. Awesome!! Thanks a bunch!
    Cheers
    Mark
  12. rej Well-Known Member

Malta
    Very nice Mark!!!

Ray ;)
  13. unknown01 New Member

Japan
    Excellent work!
    A ground work is perfect in particular.
    I think a wonderful masterpiece.
    I congratulate completion.