1. Copying kits is a crime that hurts original artists & producers. Help support your favorite artists by buying their original works. PlanetFigure will not tolerate any activities related to recasting, and will report recasters to authorities. Thank you for your support!

Warrior monk

Discussion in 'vBench (Works in Progress)' started by MacCoy, Nov 28, 2017.

1. MacCoy Active Member

Finland
    This is my first attempt to paint a figure. Properly I mean, adding shadows & highlights.
    I have plenty of unpainted figures in store, tried few times to paint them with oils or acrylics, always with disappointing results (to me ). After reading some Figure International magazines I decided to try once more, with acrylis this time. I am quite satisfied what I have achieved so far. Flesh parts are done now, I will continue painting tomorrow finishing the robe. Figure is from Italian company Soldiers SGF, scale 54mm.
    All comments welcome!

Attached Files:

kevininpdx, Borek, winfield and 5 others like this.
  2. Mike Stevens PlanetFigure Supporter

United-States
    Nice Start,

If your painting with acrylics try using some Vallejo Sunny Skin Tone or Brown Sand to increase your highlight values. Black should not be your base color. You want to achieve the illusion of Black. If using some other brand of paint , Reaper, Games Work Shop, etc., let us know and we can guide you accordingly. Both Andrea and Scale 75 have Black paint sets that are great for both novice and experienced painter.

Good luck and welcome to PF!
  3. MacCoy Active Member

Finland
    Hi Mike and thank You for commenting.

I use Vallejo acrylics to paint this, for the robe,black+ english uniform+ bit of dark Prussian blue for base , more English uniform + flesh for highlights, more black+dark Prussian blue for shadows, finally pure black.
  4. franck edet A Fixture

Canada
    that is definitely a nice start :)
    being a beginner myself i can't comment really on your painting but what i can do is telling you what my good friend Zeno told me once :

"if you think your contrasts are okay ... increase them :)"

welcome to PF, the community here is really helpful !
  5. Jonthan mcmeekin Active Member

Great job pal!
    Love the backdrop.
    Keep the brushes moving.
    Cheers
    Jonathan
  6. REMOVED PlanetFigure Supporter

Backdrop idea works well..and you are getting sage advice ..
  7. MacCoy Active Member

Finland
    Thanks guys! Brushes are moving again tomorrow.