1. Copying kits is a crime that hurts original artists & producers. Help support your favorite artists by buying their original works. PlanetFigure will not tolerate any activities related to recasting, and will report recasters to authorities. Thank you for your support!

Completed Critique Von Blucher - 1/9 bust - CGS Military Figures

Discussion in 'vBench (Works in Progress)' started by Filipe, Aug 24, 2013.

1. Filipe Well-Known Member

Brazil
    Hi guys

After some period of absence due to a lot of studying, here´s my latest figure, a resin bust, 1/9 scale, of Feldmarschall von Blucher, commander of the Prussian forces at Waterloo.

[IMG]

The bust is sculpted by David Grieve, and cast and sold by CGS Military Figures, of Graham Scollick (Gra30 here at the forum); The casting is superb, and I´ve made a little review here. Top recommended.

Here is my version of the figure. Comments and critics are most welcome, and the photos are bad.

[IMG]
    [IMG]
    [IMG]
    [IMG]
    [IMG]

Details
    [IMG]

Face
    [IMG]
    [IMG]

Regards to all,

Filipe :happy:
  2. Tecumsea PlanetFigure Supporter

England
    Very nice Filipe-I have an original Grieve Casting in the grey army tempted to get it out now and put some paint on it-recently finished reading a book about Bluchers life, a very interesting character. In 1756 he was sent by his father to work on his uncles farm in Sweden, his father wanted to keep him out of the Army, he joined the Swedish Army in 1758 against the Prussians, was captured in 1760 and persuaded to switch sides by Von Belling who took a shine to him-you need to get a book for the rest of the story(y)

Keith
    Michaelminiatures and Filipe like this.
  3. ACCOUNT_DELETED A Fixture

Canada
    That's a real clean presentation....almost a flawless lesson in acrylic painting. Great blue and well done not over highlighting it to an inaccurate shade. Love the face tones.

Colin
    Filipe likes this.
  4. Gra30 PlanetFigure Supporter

Very nice Filipe and many thanks for showing.
    It is nice to see David's pieces still being painted in 2013 and this is a super job.
    Very best wishes to you
    Filipe likes this.
  5. Wings5797 A Fixture

France
    Hi Filipe,
    This is a really nice figure from David and casting from Gra at CGS.
    I think that this is the best version that I have seen over the years.
    Your painted detail is all round superb, good work.
    Cheers,
    Keith
    Filipe likes this.
  6. Nap Moderator

England
    Hi Filipe ,

Lovely work especially on the decorations and awards ..very detailed ., I agree about the blue very nicely done and not overworked ......how did you do the sash..I like it a lot

...... like Keith I have an original DG sculpt ..and I only hope I can do half as good a paintjob on mine .

Thanks so much for sharing

Nap
    Filipe likes this.
  7. Martin64 A Fixture

Germany
    Hi Amigo! Long time no speak due to job obligations. You did a very nice job on this bust. If the pictures are bad your paintjob must be even nicer:happy:. If I take a really nitpicky look at the face you might doublecheck the shape of the left eyebrow and iris (on the first picture of his face). Beside the crisp and meticously painted deatils I like the skintones very much.
    All the best - will send a PM soon!
    Martin
    Filipe likes this.
  8. Filipe Well-Known Member

Brazil
    Keith (Tecumsea)

I had no idea about that curious history! As soon as i get the time, i will read something about the guy.

Colin

Thank you for your kind words, my canadian friend.

Graham

Glad that you liked it; as i said when i purchased it, it was a long time wish to get this bust.

Keith (Wings5797)

Thank you for your compliment. But i am very sure that some better versions may be around.

Nap

Thank you for your praises, my friend.

About the sash: i´ve made a base with acrylic orange Vallejo 956.

Then, using a lighter shade, with a mix of orange and yellow watercolors, i´ve drawed the basic lines, on both sides, since the silk make different light effetcs.

[IMG]

With some diluted purple and some diluted light flesh, both Vallejo, i made the highlights and shadows.

Finally, with a mix of yellowish and orange tones, in watercolors, i drawed the rest of the lines.

I used a begginers set of watercolors by Faber Castell, nothing fancy, like this one (careful: it isnt the kids stuff, that are very bright and kind of chalk)

[IMG]

Martin

Thank you for your words. I will check the eyebrow, you are right. The iris will be left like this, to not take any chances of messing it up.

Thank you all, and, again, comments and critics are most welcome :happy:

Filipe
    Martin64 and Gra30 like this.