1. Copying kits is a crime that hurts original artists & producers. Help support your favorite artists by buying their original works. PlanetFigure will not tolerate any activities related to recasting, and will report recasters to authorities. Thank you for your support!

Review VMS "Paper Shaper" System - Great product to make canvas, tarps, flags !! Michigan Toy Soldier Blog

Discussion in 'Reviews , Video Reviews and Open Book' started by CondeJulian, Sep 27, 2017.

1. CondeJulian Well-Known Member

Brazil
    Hello,

Wanted to share my review of the new VMS paper shaper system, it's a resin that turns paper, gauze, etc into canvas, tarps, maps, flags and whatever you can think of !

I was really impressed with the results and how easy it was.

Here are some photos :

[IMG]

[IMG]

[IMG]

[IMG]

See the full review at Michigan Toy Soldier Blog :

VMS PAPER SHAPER FULL REVIEW

Hope you enjoy ! This is a military topic, but i see some uses for flags, ponchos and figure related ideas !

Best
    Julian

www.michtoy.com
  2. Nap Moderator

England
    That's clever

As you say could have figure uses as well

Thanks for sharing

Nap
  3. CondeJulian Well-Known Member

Brazil
    Thank you Nap, it's a very easy, controllable and rewarding method for canvas, tarps, etc. so I think figure guys will have some great ideas for this kind of product.

I am really impressed by VMS range of products.

Best,
    Julian
  4. franck edet A Fixture

Canada
    while this is cool to have new products, i don't really see any difference between this and good old white glue (diluted or not) or heavy acrylic gel medium applied on tissue paper ...
    theBaron likes this.
  5. CondeJulian Well-Known Member

Brazil
    Franck,

I've used both methods and this for me at least goes apart on the fact that its not that messy as dealing with white glue.
    It flows very nicely (perfect dillution out of the box) and the fact we can detach it from the part after dry is unheard of for me at least, using the Clean Slate. This is a complete solution since they have the liquid shaper, the right gramme paper, the remover, the resin binder etc. It's a out of the box ready to use set with very nice results. I think it's a step up from white glue.

My 2 cents,
    Best
    Julian
    Michael D and franck edet like this.
  6. franck edet A Fixture

Canada
    I will trust you on the quality of the product (VMS offers very good products) but , being an old school boy ;) , i will probably stick to my old habits :)
    Anyway : thank you very much to take the time for the review, this is much appreciated !
    theBaron and Man On Fire like this.
  7. CondeJulian Well-Known Member

Brazil
    Franck, Thank you for the feedback. I've used my share of white glue to make similar stuff, and this came for me as a upgrade on the technique. It's very rewarding and the margin for error is very low. I loved as a simple solution.
    Take my word on VMS products, they are very nice to work with.
    Best,
    Julian
  8. theBaron A Fixture

United-States
    Thanks for the review!

I'm with Franck. Those who want to use it, great. But for me, facial tissue and white glue work just fine. And the old method is only as messy as one lets it be, really. Also, what is the total price of this system?

Prost!
    Brad
  9. CondeJulian Well-Known Member

Brazil
    Brad,
    The main point is being able to detach the tarp from the model after dry to paint it separately. This is a must for me as I hate to paint accessories if not one by one.
    As I got the products for review, can't really know the price, but as said on the full review, you basically only need the liquid shaper and any paper to make the same work as white glue. The advantage is the product is formulated for this use, perfect dillution everyrtime and so on.
    The rest of the products shown is to achieve the separation after dry mentioned above, that will require the remover, and if wanted the resin binder (any resin binder) to smooth things up prior to painting, giving a resin like finish.
    Dealer's choice...

Best
    Julian
  10. theBaron A Fixture

United-States
    No, it's the buyer's choice. But like I said, for those who choose to use it, good for them. Personally, I'll stick with tissue paper and white glue (pun intended!). Removing the "cloth" to work on it really isn't an issue for me.

Don't take it personally. I generally don't use ready-made products like the various weathering powders and washes, etc, from makers like AK Interactive, or Mig Jimenez' current brand, or Tamiya, etc, etc. I prefer to make them myself with things I have on hand. I do recognize, however, that commercially available prepared products like those take the guesswork out of the technique and that is a selling point for many painters and modelers. And that's why I say, on this particular issue, to each, his own.

Prost!
    Brad
    franck edet likes this.
  11. CondeJulian Well-Known Member

Brazil
    Brad, I'ts not at all personal.
    I think that some people got it wrong since the whole idea of the product is to be a step up from the old method, with a new advantage of removing the cloth after dry to paint and weathering as separate piece.
    I have less free time as I wanted for my hobby, so I love those modern solutions that gets us nice results out of the box.
    There's always room for improvements :)

Thanks for the feedback on my review !

Best
    Julian
    theBaron likes this.
  12. Kandor8 Active Member

United-States
    I used to use drafting linen when it was still available. About 30 years ago.
    Man On Fire likes this.
  13. CondeJulian Well-Known Member

Brazil
    Kandor,

I think it's a great era for us, such great stuff to help us build and make weathering on our models. Even the models itself are getting as good as it gets.

:)
    winfield likes this.
  14. franck edet A Fixture

Canada
    I never had problem to take off tarps or stuff done with tissue paper and white glue from models as white glue do not bond to any plastic ;)
    just a little care and no need for another product to debond it :)